A few good honest opinions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckybassman

Reaction score
I need a few good HONEST opinions on these shelves I'm making.
My question is would this be an o.k. Christmas present to give to someone?
I don't have much $ in materials and they are fairly easy made but is this too "cheesy" to give as a gift?
I also thought about making them just to sell. People seem to like this kind of stuff and I have enough materials for about 6 or 7 more. I figure if I did build to sell,I would probably ask around $30-$40 bucks for them depending on time and labor and the shape of the window.
So,don't be afraid to give me a little "corrective criticism" or just a flat out honest opinion! I figure that's another good thing about this forum right?? :wink: Thanks.

Attachments

• fish 005 (Small).jpg
    fish 005 (Small).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 452
  • fish 004 (Small).jpg
    fish 004 (Small).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 281
I would give them away as gifts. I can see having a couple of those shelves in a man cave displaying some antique reels and lures. Or maybe even old hunting stuff.

Selling at $40 might be a tough sell unless someone is lookinf for that rustic look and feel. Just my .02

We have a street fair twice a year and a guy makes something very simular. He sells out every year and sell them for a lot more.

I don't know about your area, but stuff like that sells good around here.

Great gift idea - do it!

If you are thinking of sending some to Captain Ahab I can send you his address. He is home from the latest whale chase and needs places to store his ivory and scrimshaw collection :mrgreen:

people in here in GA will pay atleast $75 for those... they put them in their cabins up in the mountains. Rout in a silhouette of a bear and you'll make another $25-50... amazing what people will do for bears here

Looks great! =D> I'd be happy to get one as a gift. I still use furniture in my house my grandfather built before he past away. As others have said, here in the south, those things would sell like hotcakes.

I agree with others about the south east.They'd sell pretty good.We have a lot of retired people and snow birds from new england area that buy mini farms and stock them rustic and antique furniture.That'd be perfect for our area.

Yes it is old barn wood. As a matter of fact,the one in the picture is wood from an old barn that was around 100 yrs old :shock: Most of it was pretty good stuff but that ol' rough cut oak is a little hard to work with #-o .
I just finished another one a little bit ago,I think it turned out much better than the one in the picture but a lady at work tried to sell me a leather (micro stuff) rocker/glider/recliner but at the time $$ was pretty short and I turned it down. But I took a few pictures to work with me and she seen one of the shelves and asked if I would make her one and said she would trade me the chair for it and needless to say I agreed!!!
So for now.............business is good!
Thanks guys for the input,I appreciate it.

That's awesome - trading that for a recliner... You know, if you have wood that old and it's still in pretty good shape, that in itself is worth a pretty good bit. I'm pretty sure you could get between $8-12 per foot, you might get even more than that because finding wood that's not rotten is getting to be a rarity.

That is a very nice shelf. I was thinking of doing the same thing. Last week I replaced about 20 windows out of an old Bed&Breakfast. The house is 150yrs old. It's loaded with all sorts of little gems. I did keep some of the old window hardware, like the casement stays. and some slide locks.

This is just me personally, but if someone gave me something that they made with their hands, It would mean alot more to me than something bought. I think it would be an excellent Christmas present. The only thing is that poeple are picky about home furnishings. When I say people, I mean women.

Latest posts