Any Players?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
Of Golf??

I have never played any golf except for put-put :lol:

I never have been intrested in it, quit honestly it seemed silly.

But, I have become pro on golf by my wii console :lol: It has slowly become addicting to play a game at least once a day. I finally understand Birdie and eagle and stuff :D so I wonder about playing a real game, maybe good with the diet thingy :D

I used to play a lot, best I got was about 10 handicap. That's shooting in the low to mid 80s on tough courses, it's too **** expensive and takes too much time though.

I have to play a pretty good bit with work... brokers and clients always want to play. I have a handicap around 10 as well, but that's only because I can drive the ball about 315-330 yards consistently..I suck at putting straight shots, as well as short ones. I only use 3 clubs: Driver, Pitching Wedge, Sand Wedge and Putter. All the other clubs in my bag are almost useless... Like nick said - it's EXPENSIVE. I gave up golf stuff to buy fishing stuff, not to mention that to play here in Atlanta it's atleast $100 for green fees.

When it comes to golf ill take the George Carlin stance on the subjet "Golf is Hitting a ball with a crooked stick, then walking after it. And then, hitting it again. I say pick it up. You’re lucky you found it. Put it in your pocket and go home, will ya."

I'm a golfer... not a good golfer, just a golfer. Now that I'm retired, I hope to play once a week. I was playing 2-3 times per month - but plan on it being on of my most active, activities. A good cigar, a sunny day and a cold beer all make it much more enjoyable for me :)

I also ran two golf outings each year for the past 12 years - because of that, I always had free foursomes and/or free golf at two of our local courses. For my 30th anniversay at work, they gave me several golf certificates and when I retired a few months later last July, I got several more, so I've been lucky with the cost aspect and have several left over for next summer :) :)

Between fishing and golf, I hope to not be bored - like I am now this winter :(

If lost golf balls in the weeds and gutter balls in bowling were prize winners I'd be on the pro circuit, lol. Never could acquire the knack for neither.
crazy_face.gif

FishingBuds said:
didn't consider the expense of it, so how many clubs do ya use FishingCop

oohhhhhh lots.... I have a club for the woods, another for the rough, another for the sand, another to fetch my ball from the water (although, I don't think they call that a club) and a couple of in-between ones for when I actuall hit the fairway from my tee shot.... and. oh yeah, a putter which I use about two to four times on each green :lol: :lol:

Oh, if you were serious, I actually have a set of Ping Raptures (about $1800 list) which I won at an outing two years ago - never, ever would spend that out of pocket - and I definately don't do them justice. But, for a beginner - don't take Russ's advise - he hits them way further than any golfer I know (except Tiger). He's hitting over 300 yards from the tee - that's something the average golfer will never do. So.. you'll need a driver (or actually, a 3-wood will work better) for off the tee. Probably a new "hybred" for long fairway shots, a 5 iron, and a 9 iron and/or pitching wedge (which can be used from the sand until you get better) and, of course a putter. That will do you until you start to get the hang of it and learn more about the game.

Like I said, I golf, but not good - other more avid golfers may have better advice for you for just starting out.... Good luck.

Okay, this is by far one of the most funniest things I've ever seen about golf. It is Robin Williams doing a bit on how the Scottish invented golf. It is full of the F-bombs so I warn you not to play this clip if you are sensitive or if you have kids watching - otherwise, it is hilarious.....

WARNING --- DO NOT CLICK if you will be offended by foul language and turn down the volume if you have youngsters close by...

Jim, I hope this is okay?? If not, please delete it with my apologies.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzFagy7i3E

russ010 said:
I have to play a pretty good bit with work... brokers and clients always want to play. I have a handicap around 10 as well, but that's only because I can drive the ball about 315-330 yards consistently..I suck at putting straight shots, as well as short ones. I only use 3 clubs: Driver, Pitching Wedge, Sand Wedge and Putter. All the other clubs in my bag are almost useless... Like nick said - it's EXPENSIVE. I gave up golf stuff to buy fishing stuff, not to mention that to play here in Atlanta it's atleast $100 for green fees.
You might be better than you think!!!!! If your scorecard is like your counting

1 driver
2pitching wedge
3sand wedge
4putter

lol

Wayne

redbug said:
russ010 said:
You might be better than you think!!!!! If your scorecard is like your counting

1 driver
2pitching wedge
3sand wedge
4putter

lol

Wayne

Who counts the putter as a club?

I used to play a bit. Was always in the high 70's, low 80's...

Any warmer than that and I went home.

I got into it for a while, but it cut into too much fishing time. I still try to go a couple of times a year with my Dad. I am pretty darn good with a pitching wedge and putter..... it is just every other club I can't hit :mrgreen:

I used to play just a little when my brother was still alive. Par 3 courses mostly. My wood game sux almost as bad as my putting. I can play a great iron game though. Ever seen the bumper sticker that said:

Don't like the way I drive? You should see me putt. That describes my game to a tee. To a TEE, Golfing... to a TEE!!! LOL I crack me up.

flounderhead59 said:
I used to play just a little when my brother was still alive. Par 3 courses mostly. My wood game sux almost as bad as my putting. I can play a great iron game though. Ever seen the bumper sticker that said:

Don't like the way I drive? You should see me putt. That describes my game to a tee. To a TEE, Golfing... to a TEE!!! LOL I crack me up.

"Any warmer than that and I went home."

"don't forget to tip your waitresses."

:D

FishingCop is right about the clubs, as I do hit it pretty hard... 8 times out of 10 my second and 3rd shot is with my pitching wedge because I can hit it a good 150yards.. I know you're not supposed to play like that, but with my style of swing it works for me. Someone tried to correct me (I roll my wrists like swinging a baseball bat for power hitting) and it killed my game for about 2 months. Now I just go out and kill it.

One other "no-no" I do is play with oversized irons and if I decided to put more money into it I'm going to switch over to forged irons. The clubs I use are TaylorMade RAC O/S with graphite shafts, but I use a stiff shaft because of my swing speed.

Had I known you were wanting to get into golf I had an extra set of Pings laying around that I bought and didn't like. I just gave them away to a kid a couple of months ago who was wanting to get into the sport.

I only bring my a game to the driving range, for whatever reason when I get out on the course my card comes back full of snow men, we stop counting after 8. for golf im a firm believer in homer simpsons ideology "when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get."

Latest posts