Intro from the Atlanta area

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolie

Reaction score
Hi folks. I've been lurking around here for several months and I guess to start off the new year it's time to come out of the shadows and introduce myself. My name is Jon, but my friends call me Poolie. I'm a very soon to be Tin Boat owner.

From the time I was old enough to use a Zebco 202 till I was in my early 20's I loved to fish. In the later part of those years I fell in love with LMB specifically. Then, as it sometimes does, life got in the way with college, work and family so fishing faded into the background, but never forgotten. Fast forward about 25 years with life slightly less hectic and the urge to get back into bass fishing has surfaced again.

This past year has been lots of fun buying new gear (man have things changed) and getting back in the swing of things. The biggest bummer has been that I've been casting *from* the bank and not *to* the bank. The decision to go with a TinBoat has pretty much been made for me. The neighborhood covenant requires the boat to be in the backyard so weight is an issue. After years of digging out from under a mountain of debt, going back into debt for a toy is out of the question and there's plenty of electric only lakes in my area so a jon boat is perfect for me.

Getting a jon boat seemed like a easy task originally. Craigslist is packed with them right? But spending time here and at bassresource.com I continued to hear a common theme. If you are going to deck the boat, wider is better. Well, that eliminated about 99% of the boats on Craigslist. Of that one percent left, they were either decked in a way that I didn't like and or priced at a premium. So after the frustrations of Craigslist (I actually had a guy sell a 1436 while I was on the way to his house to pick it up... he did say he was sorry though #-o ) I found a boat dealer a couple hours from the house that made me a good deal on an Alumacraft Modified V-Hull 1448 and galvanized trailer. They are only open weekdays so a deposit is holding it until I can get a day off work in a couple weeks to pick it up. Woo Hoo... spent more on the bare boat than I wanted too, but I know I won't outgrow it anytime soon.

So now the fun begins. Deciding how to turn that hull into the perfect electric only bass retriever. TM's, FF's, Seats, oh the fun of it all. This is where I'm sure I will have lots of questions to pester you guys with. I'll be sure to post a picture of it when I get it to the house.

Happy New Year to all!

Poolie

:WELCOME: Poolie

Thanks for joining! Great intro! :beer:

Looking forward to seeing the boat when you get it. The next couple of weeks will be a painful wait for you! :mrgreen:

There are a couple in the 200-300 acre range and one or two in the 800 or so range.

Waterwings said:
Welcome Aboard! 8)

How big are the electric-only places you'll be fishing?

welc.gif

Glad you posted

Now let us fish!

Howdy. I am about 20 minutes up the road from you, in Cartersville, and Russ010 is over in Canton. You are aware of Nature's Tackle Box right near you in Hiram, right? Great place, and Christie keeps it well stocked with up to date stuff that most locals are using. Good luck on your project. If you want to get out, and haven't completed your boat yet, you are welcome to my backseat, provided I haven't filled it yet (I fish with Russ010 quite a bit). I run a 1542 with a 40. What lakes do you fish?

bassboy1 said:
Howdy. I am about 20 minutes up the road from you, in Cartersville, and Russ010 is over in Canton. You are aware of Nature's Tackle Box right near you in Hiram, right? Great place, and Christie keeps it well stocked with up to date stuff that most locals are using. Good luck on your project. If you want to get out, and haven't completed your boat yet, you are welcome to my backseat, provided I haven't filled it yet (I fish with Russ010 quite a bit). I run a 1542 with a 40. What lakes do you fish?

Hi Bassboy1,

Nature's Tackle Box is a very cool store but my wife usually frowns when I go. Probably because my new best friend the bait monkey is generally tagging along with me and the two of us together can get a little out of control. I live about 3 miles from the store.

Mostly I've been fishing in my parents back yard in Powder Springs. They have about a 2 1/2 acre pond which has some bass in it, but mostly channel cats for all the kids in the family to catch. Back in August the cats decided that my spinner baits looked tasty and I pulled out several 3-5 pounders... yep, on a spinner bait. Those things pull like a freight train.

Sweetwater Creek Reservoir is just 10 minutes from the house. It's I think 215 acres and mostly gets pressure from the bank. Not known to be a great bass lake, but I can always run over after work and catch at least a 1 pounder or so. Nothing to write home about but it does put a smile on my face after a day at the office.

When I finally get the boat I want to try out Lake Acworth and Lake Varner (in Convington).

I see you and Russ both posting a lot out here and I'm sure as we get closer to Spring I love to hook up with you guys.

Poolie

Latest posts