Worst job ever?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
The worst job ever at home has to be re-caulking the bathroom tiles. Removing wallpaper is a Very close second, but scraping off the old caulk to put on the new is a real PITA. :x

Reglazeing 60 year old windows is ranked really high on my list. 12 windows with 12 panes per window. Strip, clean, glaze, primer and paint. Had to replace 7 or 8 cracked panes too.

We made a mistake early in our diy home ownership, wife wanted to wallpaper the kitchen which had paneling. Instead of removeing the paneling and reveling something worse, I hatched a plan to fill the groves of the paneling with spackle. What a nightmare. We learned a lot fixing up our first house.

Getting wallpaper off is the worse
100_0002.jpg

100_0091.jpg

100_0095.jpg

100_0090.jpg

Old work wiring and plumbing is pretty bad. First of all, there is no access to anything, and second of all, nothing is in a logical order. We don't have a clue where the drain pipe goes in the foundation, and whoever wired the houses on this street (we used to live 2 doors up the road) needs to be shot. When dad wired the house he built before we moved to this street, there was access to almost all the wiring through various chases etc.

Replacing roof shingles in the summer sucks pretty bad. Metal roofing is alright, but shingles are a pain in the tail.

Bassboy, I made the mistake of wearing sweat pants when shingling my roof, three pairs later the job was done.

Anything plumbing related in my house sucks, its hard to get to almost everything, plus we have no clue where the water shut off is in the house and have to turn it off from the outside line.

bAcKpAiN said:
Had to replace my sewage lines. That was the worst here.

You got me ther Mr. bAcKpAiN, that is a crappy job :wink: All that sewer gasses YICK!!!

Crappy is right! Had it flood the basement twice in two months this past spring with some heavy rain. Then the third backup was this summerthat flooded the basement again. We had to replace about a 20 span of the 4" pipe. There was about a 2 foot section that was totally clogged. :evil:

Agree SEWAGE!

A clogged sewer, open up a drain pipe-roto-rooter away and the watery stuff rolls back on your glove, down your fore arm under your arm pit down your shirt =D> yea great stuff.

Shamoo, that sure was a lot of wallpaper you were removing. Last time I did that I used a heat gun....but it still sucked and took forever #-o

I put a coat of sealer on my flat metal roof on a summer day a few years ago and let me tell you that stuff smells horrible....and if you get it on your hands(or face from wiping off sweat) it doesn't some off for a week.....and walking on the roof that was like a sponge. I swear I was going to fall through.

Then there was that time I patched a few holes in my driveway with some cold patch. That stuff was like sticky slimy snot and it ate through my gloves and that stuff took days to come off of my hands also.

Yep, of the old work plumbing and electrical (new work is fine - no sheetrock in the way, can route things however you like, and you don't have to mess with whatever some idiot electrician/plumber did stupidly), sewage is the worst. Our last project, of just installing another light above a stairwell has now expanded into replacing the whole downstairs ceiling, adding a stub wall to house a closet, replacing all the downstairs lighting, rerouting every wire, and duct down there (no pipes in this section), and rearranging everything in the room. Now, we were going to do this at some point, but it was going to be later on down the road (ie when we could afford it), as we hate the suspended ceiling, but while installing a $12 light, we had to rip down the whole ceiling to start trailing wires, as when we started wiggling something, it shorted, but tripped something before it got to the breaker. We had to follow wires to find what had cut out. Turned out to be a GFCI plug in a bathroom on the other side of the house.

Then, last week, we had to get a plumber in here, because dad wasn't interested in renting a power rooter to try to free up a clog. He was here for 4 hours cleaning kitchen grease from the pipes below the basement. Of course, the cleanout is in my room. He says the kitchen grease from the disposal, especially from pasta, will stick to the pipes, decreasing the flow. Spaghetti down a disposal is a definite no no.

Yep, sewage is probably the worst, but for the most part, it is straight forward. This electrical crap in this current house is probably the biggest pain in the arse. While the ceiling is down, we are pulling out miles of wire that had no reason to be up there, and still trying to figure out what these idiots did down here. When faced with the dilemma of having 2 switches control one light, they really got confused, and solved that by running more wires back and forth than should ever pretend to be run to and from a 3 way switch. Here is what they did when they screwed up and ran the ducts one joist over from where they were supposed to be, to line up with the suspended ceiling grid.
Brokenjoist.jpg

Yep, they did that on 3 of them, and all 3 are split like that. Now we have to sister a piece to it to fix it.

I guess I am just to much of a perfectionist to make it as a professional builder of sorts. Wouldn't be able to make any money. :roll:

Sewage you can't beat but I was breaking ice off my roof in freezing rain becouse this house has no ice damning pads. First bad storm in 40 years.
So not done as I have some drywall work coming and water got under the siding to. I know what I'm doing this spring.
Sewage is just nasty

Latest posts