What could possibly happen?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2go

Reaction score
I found, what appears to be an old wagon trail from the late 1800's to maybe early 1900's.It runs down and through the water shed.I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's about a days hike from start down to the water shed.Thing is,it's not in the section of the water shed that's fenced off.The old trail is about a mile deep in the woods outside of an area that has privately owned property and small farms.What could possibly happen if we hiked in,camped about a half mile from the water shed, and fished the water shed from the banks?Of course we wouldn't pollute the water or land.We would pack out every thing we take in and would catch n release the fish.We're not planning to disclose to much info.If a couple of us go we probably get by without getting in to much trouble.If a lot of people start going,it's gonna get out of hand quickly.

Is it public or private land? Sounds interesting, but I keep getting this picture in my mind of flashing blue lights. :shock: . Just my thoughts, but I'd check on the ownership of the land first.

It's privately owned land surrounding county land with the water shed being in the center of the county land.Some areas are marked no trespassing and are fenced.The area we are a, there are no markings as to where the water shed property border is.There are some small trails in the area we want to travel.The county maps are conflicting about property lines.I know the worst case would be arrest.Here,we have a law that you must be officially put on trespass notice,on the first offense.Then if you're found breaking the notice,you're arrested.The trespass notice is kind of like a traffic warning type ticket.That just puts it on record that you've been told to stay off ,said property.If you're trespassing and committing/or attempting to commit a crime you can be brought up on trespass charges.It wouldn't bother me if I was put on trespass notice.90% of the time the officer either don't write the notice or doesn't file the notice.Everybody hates paper work.We have found nothing stating that we can't lawfully make the hike,camp,and fish.On the opposite side,we haven't found it to be total legal.I guess we could use the excuse that we went hiking,found this lake,and was unaware of it being the water shed.That would be lying tho and I'm not so comfortable with that.I've always been straight up about things,even when I'm knowingly in the wrong.I think that's why my other half stays around,just to hear me say,I'm wrong,you're right. :LOL2:

Ask permission! Usually the property owner will allow you to do a little fishing in exchange for a promise to clean up and bring out any trash that you run across.

If you need, I can fix you up with a waiver of liability that will put the property owner's mind at ease

There are some monsters in the gville watershed lake. Ive been told of some huge trout also. My buddys son and some of his friends have been in there a couple times in the past couple years. He claims a few around 10 lbs.

I think the land is federal protected and federal charges could be brought on you. Not only could you be arrested and fined, but Im sure they could revoke your fishing/hunting previlages. I believe the area is patroled regularly.

Ask Permission! Trespassing without knowing you are is one thing, but trespassing knowing you are is another can of worms. They may not give you a warning if they find out you knew you were trespassing. Let the property owner know you are there. He may be out hunting or have given someone else permission to hunt the land and think they are the only one there and accidently hit someone with a round. Just be courtious to him and most likely he will let you walk the trail.

Beat the dead horse.....ask permission. Otherwise you might hear banjo's in the distance and end up with some good ol boy askin if you can squeel like a pig!
Seriously, I know here in Arkansas on our game and fish website they have forms for hunting/fishing on private land that you and the land owners can fill out to help ease this situation. Relatively easy, just name (you/land owner) statement declaring permission-all one short card to fill out. Helps with any permission issues with the law!
Good luck and good fishin.

Captain Ahab said:
Ask permission! Usually the property owner will allow you to do a little fishing in exchange for a promise to clean up and bring out any trash that you run across.

If you need, I can fix you up with a waiver of liability that will put the property owner's mind at ease

Thanks.

sccamper said:
There are some monsters in the gville watershed lake. Ive been told of some huge trout also. My buddys son and some of his friends have been in there a couple times in the past couple years. He claims a few around 10 lbs.

I think the land is federal protected and federal charges could be brought on you. Not only could you be arrested and fined, but Im sure they could revoke your fishing/hunting previlages. I believe the area is patroled regularly.

:LOL2: I had a feeling you would know what I was thinking about.I got a bad feeling about the idea.The idea was brought up by a friend who knows one of the property owners around the water shed.I really don't think the risk is worth the hike.

KMixson said:
Ask Permission! Trespassing without knowing you are is one thing, but trespassing knowing you are is another can of worms. They may not give you a warning if they find out you knew you were trespassing. Let the property owner know you are there. He may be out hunting or have given someone else permission to hunt the land and think they are the only one there and accidently hit someone with a round. Just be courtious to him and most likely he will let you walk the trail.

I'm not really sure who to ask permission to fish.We found out that the people that maintain the lake and pumping stations,get to fish there.We also found out that they are allowing certain areas of the water shed to be logged.I'll probably leave the risk for someone else.

They use the lake to take "special people" fishing too. CEO's looking to bring their business to the upstate, politicians, guest of the State and guest of the DNR. Dont seam fair to me.

Some buddys and I have looked at the maps and pondered going ourselves but aint got a big enough pair to go.

sccamper said:
They use the lake to take "special people" fishing too. CEO's looking to bring their business to the upstate, politicians, guest of the State and guest of the DNR. Dont seam fair to me...

Sounds like a typical "Good Old Boys" club by invitation only. Politics :roll:

Latest posts