Unusual Food???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
What have you eaten that is unusual?

I have a pretty longs list

rattle snake - good
Tripe (both pork and beef) - great
Roe - not that good
Chicken Feet - good sauce but no meat on the feet
Philadelphia Pepper Pot Soup
Scrapple (not weird for these parts - but elsewhere you get funny looks)
Kibbeh Nayyeh
Carapcio
Escargo
Frogs legs
Lots of raw fish
Squab
Jellyfish

Lots more but you get the idea

Never met a food I would not try - except bugs, never could get my mind aroudn that one

raccoon... different taste, can't quite explain it
squirrel... bony, but good
squid
camel - don't ask
middle east hogs - again, don't ask
rattlesnake - best meat I've eaten (I lived in rattlesnake country in SC)
goat - again, that's what I get for eating overseas food

forgot bugs - had to pretty much survive off of them and worms for 3 days during a field exercise during SERE training

chocolate covered grasshoppers are pretty good as long as you don't know what it is before you eat it.

moose chili is really good
lutefisk (not so good)

Probably more but can't think of them right now.

I love Chinese food so I guess i can add
cat
dog
rat
pigeon
I have also eaten
rattlesnake
alligator
scrapple
getta samme as scrapple wth oats
eel
live goldfish
meal worms and crickets
grasshoppers and ants
guppies (Don'T eat the green ones they are ripe yet)
the strangest food of all was anything my mother cooked I don't know how i survived

I haven't ate much weird stuff. Don't know how weird it is, but I have ate turtle before(my brother caught it in the river....big softshell). It was actually pretty good too.

Mostly ll regular stuff - nothing real exoctic

beaver (like pot roast, but bland)
really weird seafood/fishy stuff in Vietnam
clams/oysters
squirrel
rabbit
pheasant
dove
pigeon
quail
duck
goose
beefalo & buffalo
venison
soft shell (snapping) turtle (fried like chicken - good
froglegs
grasshopper (chocholate)

A lot of stuff that you guys are listing as unusual foods are pretty standard fare around these parts. :lol:

So far as the most unusual taste, I once ordered a green curry something from a Thai restaurant that tasted like the main ingredient was Spic-n-Span. I literally could not eat it... and that is saying something. I'll generally eat anything that doesn't eat me first.

calamari
octopus
eel
aligator
turtle
garfish
rattle snake
tripe
frog legs
possum
raccoon
american robin
pickled pigs feet
Peking duck
rabbit
venison
But for the most unusual I would have to say raw squirrel on a survival trip when I was young. I had gone three days without eating so I was pretty hungry.

We were at a casual New Year's Eve party at some friends' house and were talking about the bizarre stuff that our kids had eaten.

One of the couples embarrassingly admitted that their little girl had tested out one of the Hershey's nuggets that the inlaw's dog had so graciously left in their hallway at Christmas... and seemed to enjoy it. Everybody at the party just about lost it, both emotionally and digestively. :shock:

Hmm, nothing real exotic

Dog: Naples, Italy: '73, '75, '77, '79- We always thought it was sausage on a biscuit (with a tomato), sold by a street vendor with a little kiosk on wheels, conveniently setup across the street from Fleet landing. Went back in '83 and he was no longer there. Apparently he got busted because it was dog.

Monkey: Athens, Greece, '73. Looked like the beef on a stick you would get at an asian restaurant. Nope......Monkey :roll:

Calamri: Naples, Italy, '77 or '79 (can't recall for sure). I helped my buddies eat a large plate of it, then told them "Let's get some more onion rings!". They asked "What onion rings? That was calamari!" . That's what I get for having a few too many adult beverages, lol. :shock:

I'm close to New Orleans, Cajuns literaly eat anything that doesn't eat them first.

Worst I've eaten is:
Nutria rat
opossum
snake
Mud catfish, young and stupid "we're gonna catch or kill what we eat while camping for the weekend"
The yellow fat out of blue crabs
Suck the brains and guts out of cajun boiled crawfish heads (THE BEST)
chitlins
blood boudin

I had a friend that I took fishing offshore. He caught his first tuna and cut a chunk out with it still twitching. Fresh sushi. I like my sushi southern fried!!

Among other things listed:

Ostrich Burgers (dry lean beef)
Buffalo Burgers (same as above)
Head Cheese (sliced porked in a clear gelatin)-Polish cuisine
Kishka (various grains cooked in a casing)- also Polish
Beef Tongue (taste just like roast beef)

Everytime I read a new post it reminds me of other stuff:

2 frozen raw eggs (injected with food coloring prior to freezing) on a popsicle stick. It would be considered hazing nowadays. :shock:

paulk said:
Among other things listed:

Ostrich Burgers (dry lean beef)
Buffalo Burgers (same as above)
Head Cheese (sliced porked in a clear gelatin)-Polish cuisine
Kishka (various grains cooked in a casing)- also Polish
Beef Tongue (taste just like roast beef)

Awesome - I love Polish food!

We have a Polish food store down the street and they have headcheese

I have not tried it!

Ostrich (like stated, very very dry)
Kangaroo (not too bad)
Buffalo
Alligator
Calamari (delicious)

I have a sucker sitting on my desk with a real scorpion in it (www.hotlix.com) I am video taping it when I do decide to try it, I will be sure to post.

Latest posts