Knife Sharpener?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinsMyLife

Reaction score
Has anyone found a good knife sharpener out there? I'm not talking about a stone or a little hand-held thing, I mean the kit type things that control the angle of your edge. I'm tired of a dull knife in my pocket. I don't have a steady hand or something when I'm using a stone. My fee-lay knife is like a butter knife after a lot of use and I can't get a decent edge back on it. I'm going to spend some money and get me a decent one and see how it works.

Check out those fishing expos, they allways have some kinda knife sharpening tool.

I'm quite fond of my Lansky set:

LKUNV.jpg

https://www.lanskysharpeners.com//LKUNV.php

I have this exact model and use it on all my fillet knives and all of our house knives (except the serated ones) and really like how easy it it is to use. I do use a oil stone for my pocket knife as the "big" blade is only 2" long. I do believe this has long since been discontinued as I remember my dad using it when I was just a lad (30+ years ago)

normal_CORY2.jpg

I was thinking about this yesterday as well. I found in my research that everybody says the lansky kits are excellent. I plan on picking one up as soon as i can find one.

For all of my knives (kitchen knives, filet knives, etc..) I use a wet stone no oil just water. They are more expensive but they come in different grits and put an excellent edge on a knife.

fishinchef said:
For all of my knives (kitchen knives, filet knives, etc..) I use a wet stone no oil just water. They are more expensive but they come in different grits and put an excellent edge on a knife.

Me too

Once you learn how it is simple to get a great edge - just make sure you use the right angle for the knife - you want a 15 degree for the course grind and around a 20 degree for the actual fine sharp edge. Easy way to check 5 quarters stacked and then 3 quarters stacked

Most people use too little angle which does not give a sharp long lasting edge