A320 down in the Hudson!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckybassman

Reaction score
I just seen on the news where a Airbus A320 had to make an emergency landing in the Hudson River due to a flock of geese getting in to one of the engines!!
As far as I know from the news everyone has made it out ok and are doing pretty good.
The flight was only 3 minutes long before the emergency landing. My question is how is the plane still afloat?

I dunno if it was dumb luck or if the pilot really knows his stuff.The report states that the aircraft is complete and whole.The idea is to slowly lift the plane out and letting the water drain.Then disassemble it at the docks.I think the water weight will collapse the airframe as it's being lifted.If it's as good as stated,the airframe could be refurbished and returned to service.It wouldn't be used for passenger service.Probably cargo or mail.

kentuckybassman said:
I just seen on the news where a Airbus A320 had to make an emergency landing in the Hudson River due to a flock of geese getting in to one of the engines!!
As far as I know from the news everyone has made it out ok and are doing pretty good.
The flight was only 3 minutes long before the emergency landing. My question is how is the plane still afloat?

How deep is the Hudson River there? Maybe it's not floating, but resting on the bottom. But then again if the fuselage is intact below the waterline it would act like a boat. Seen some built out of concrete that float.

They are planning on pumping the water out the lifting the plane.
if the Hudson is anything like the lower Delaware ( both Tidal and supporting ocean going traffic) the water the plane is now sitting in could be well over 50'

flounderhead59 said:
flounderhead59 said:
Seen some built out of concrete that float.

Boats, not planes.

ss_talbot_thumb.jpg

There are 9 concrete ships off of Kiptopeke Beach, Virginia (WWII era) and one off Cape May, NJ (WWI)

Great reefs type structure

IMG_2679_500.jpg

From what I heard on the news last night, apparently the plane was floating after impact, as it was reported that it drifted about 20 blocks. The only thing that I can figure (just guessing) is that the cargo hold(s) were watertight and provided buoyancy, along with the wings assisting also. The pilot (former USAF) did a hell of a job in "landing" that thing!

Waterwings said:
From what I heard on the news last night, apparently the plane was floating after impact, as it was reported that it drifted about 20 blocks. The only thing that I can figure (just guessing) is that the cargo hold(s) were watertight and provided buoyancy, along with the wings assisting also. The pilot (former USAF) did a hell of a job in "landing" that thing!
I agree!! He could have nose dove that thing in the river killing everyone on board and managed to keep injuries down to a minimum!! I have not seen the news lately,have they got it out of the water yet?

Latest posts