NY weather in April!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea as to what the weather is like in West Point, NY is mid-April? We'll be at the military academy there for the Interscholastic (high school) Orienteering Nat'ls (taking 5 of my team members to compete). I'm thinking the evenings will chilly to slightly cold maybe? Our dates are depart here early morning 16 April, arrive very late that evening. Departing Monday 20 April. Looks like a 15 hour charter bus ride :shock:

West Point NY from 1994 to Present — Current Conditions
Historical Summary for April 16 - April 20

Temperature:
The Average High Temperature is 61 F with a historical range of 41 F to 91 F
The Average Low Temperature is 40 F with a historical range of 27 F to 59 F
There is a 7% chance of a Hot Day (temperature over 90°F / 32°C).
(1 day out of 14 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0
There is a 43% chance of a Warm Day (temperature over 60°F / 16°C).
(6 days out of 14 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 1
There is a 7% chance of a Freezing Day (temperature below 32°F / 0°C).

Cloud Cover:
Average Cloud Cover is mostly sunny
There is a 29% chance of a Cloudy Day.
(4 days out of 14 in historical record)

Wind:
The Average Wind is 8 mph with a historical range of 0 mph to 20 mph
There is a 29% chance of a Windy Day (average wind over 10 mph / 15km/h).
(4 days out of 14 in historical record)

Humidity:
The Average High Dew Point is 40 F with a historical range of 21 F to 61 F
The Average Low Dew Point is 28 F with a historical range of 9 F to 54 F
There is a 7% chance of a Humid Day (dew point over 65°F / 18°C).

Good luck in advance WW and tell your students all of us here at Tinboats are rootin' for em!!
I did hear the other day from my niece (i think) and she said it's ALWAYS cold in N.Y. ?????? I would take more than enough just in case :shock:

Thanks for the link Doc! 8)

kybassman,
Thanks also. :) . Sharing the bus with two other local schools who are also competing. Kids are pumped, and this will be the third year we've competed. First year was in Elkton, MD, and last year we went to Athens, TX. Our team is doing well this year with a 1st place team win at State in Nov., and a 1st place individual win just recently on Jan. 10th. The Nat'ls are are whole other story, with about 200 competitors. :shock:

Tell the other schools the temps are supposed to be in the 80's and it never rains in April up there. Then when it's cold and rainy they will be too distracted by the fact they only brougt shorts and t-shirts. :lol: :lol:

flounderhead59 said:
Tell the other schools the temps are supposed to be in the 80's and it never rains in April up there. Then when it's cold and rainy they will be too distracted by the fact they only brougt shorts and t-shirts. :lol: :lol:

Good idea! :lol: . Every meet we've gone to this year (except one) it has been cold and raining/snowing. That's prime weather for my guys, lol.

What's that old saying: "If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'! :)

I have camped all around there and it is blast - lots of great mountains to climb and trails to explore

Good luck - it gets really cold at night there in the hills!

Captain Ahab said:
I have camped all around there and it is blast - lots of great mountains to climb and trails to explore

The competitions are run during daytime (thank goodness). We'll be staying in the Holiday Express Inn at night :wink:

Waterwings said:
Captain Ahab said:

The competitions are run during daytime (thank goodness). We'll be staying in the Holiday Express Inn at night :wink:

WIMPS!

Captain Ahab said:
Waterwings said:
Captain Ahab said:

The competitions are run during daytime (thank goodness). We'll be staying in the Holiday Inn Express at night :wink:

WIMPS!

And proud of it! :lol:

Latest posts