Dog House

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Been meaning to do this and finally got around to it. I made a sketch of the dog house I made for my pups (2 Huskies) about 10.5 yrs ago. Just recetly replaced the roof, but other than that it's held-up great. 2"x4" framing, with T1-11 sheathing. Entire thing got two coats of exterior acrylic enamel paint. The design provides an area behind an interior wind-break wall, and keeps your pup(s) out of the weather. Walls are insulated, and the entire thing is setting on PT 2"x6"s, on edge and attached to the underside framework. The dog house sits on a 10'x10' fenced-in concrete slab. The roof did have one of those square aluminum roof vents like you would put on a house, but I didn't add one this time since re-doing the roof. Will put another one on come warm weather. The roof vent adds extra ventilation during the warm months, especially for nordic breeds. In years past during the winter I tried adding straw inside the dog house for them. They just kicked it out :roll: . If you have outdoor pets this is a good design (imo), and you would just need to adjust the size to fit your pet.

Here's a link to the sketch: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/albums/userpics/Dog_House.JPG

Nice design. I did similar to yours but with out the wind wall, and the PT floor. The first one lasted 3 years because it sat on the ground. The second was put on cement pad. Its lasted 8 years and still looks good.

perfect WW :D

that happens to be my project this spring, I have two dogs to build for. Ones a golden retriever that I need to pen up, he's been changed up now for awhile, sad part is he has 2 1/2 fenced in acres to run but he always climbs out, and he's the type that gets into trouble so he needs penned up. (he snacked on some nieghbor's chickens one time) This all started when we first moved out here, he got out and got hit when we was all gone from home one time, he was in bad shape but he has since bounced back, now he seems to hate everything but us, and can't afford to get sued now-a-days #-o

I plan on a concrete slab and fence for him but I will have to fence over as a roof(once again he climbes) too. Darn idiot don't realize what he's got, it kills me having to do this, But he climbs out every chance he gets, and he can't be trusted. He has been with us since a pup, so I'm stuck with him. I hate him and love him at the same time, kinda like having a teenage boy at home :lol:

The other Dog is a good ol Brown lab, loves the yard and uses it, so I'll just need a house for him

I like the house layout and the door vent add on, Does the roof have the ability to open for ya? kinda thinking if that would be needed for clean out also, then again could be over kill.

Looks good WW

What? No insulation in the roof? Sounds like a hinged roof would be a good thing too. We used to have a 1/2 Sheppard, 1/2 Husky mix that would sit on his dog house which was right up against the fence. Fence was 4' tall and dog house roof 3'6". Moron used to dig to tunnel under the fence to get out.

No insulation for the roof. I'd planned on it when I first started building it and thought about removal, and changed my mind. I also thought the hinged roof, but went with the door on the end. Works great for cleaning out and ventilation. I have a 6' high fence around their area and they've never tried to get on the house (4' high at the back) that I know of. If they did they could easily jump over the fence, but might break a leg or hip doing it. They're 11 and 10 yrs old now.

A friend built a dog house with a hip roof on hinges. Put a heat lamp and PC fan inside double layer vent pipe and circulated it through the ceiling. Everything was housed in the dog house attic. He had the whole house insulated.

I put styrafoam insulation in the floor of the old one but not the new one. I just give them plenty of ceder chips.

Latest posts