Boat Show today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
Went through, and inspected every square inch, and opened every hatch, and access panel in every center console between 18 and 22 feet, and opened up every hatch, and studied the construction of all the aluminum boats, 'cept Tracker.

Got many of the ideas I was looking for to incorporate into the 20' I want to build, but I was not impressed by most of the tin boats there. Manufactures skimp on way too many details. The general hull construction is great, but the details are skimped upon. The Starcraft, which I really liked last year, had really shot down in quality. Plus, when I tried to sit down in the drivers seat, I couldn't fit. I am not that big - 6'3 and 155 pounds, but there is no way I could get behind that console.

I was impressed with the Triton tin rig, for the most part. Fewer corners had been cut on the detailed interior work. Although, there was one hatch, that unlike the rest, looked like it should have been in the other boats. The SeaArk looked good as far as quality is concerned, but I couldn't stand some of the construction features. On the back of one bow deck, there was a 2 inch high lip. Looked like a major tripping hazard.

On the glass center consoles I thoroughly examined, I saw much of the same. The Carolina Skiffs were pretty pitiful. Cheapest flimsiest plastic latches. Plus, almost every feature they have is bolted on, so there are crude seams all over the place. The Boston Whalers, which used to be as good as the older Carolina Skiffs in my opinion, have gone to the dogs.

In a lot of them, the wiring mess was horrific. They will mount stuff such as a fuel water separator in a storage hatch. Just little things here and there.

The glass bass boats, as usual, had very little problems, as they should, if you are going to pay that much for one.

I guess I am more of a perfectionist than some people, but I just cannot see selling something with that many corners cut, or shelling out that kind of money for shoddy work.

I never cease to be impressed with E-tecs. Yamaha had a good showing, but I am concerned about their F series, from a number of other sources. Honda wasn't there, nor was Suzuki, which I was interested in. Motorguide didn't impress me. They are just behind on much of the technology, and the sales guy couldn't answer my questions as to the fundamentals of how some of the technology worked. There wasn't a MK rep there, but I did talk to a Skeeter guy for a bit about the MK Fortrex, and boy am I impressed. Heck, I have been thoroughly impressed with the Maxxum Pro, and this Fortrex goes even further.

But, in the long and short of it, after opening every hatch I could get access to, on every center console in there, I did get the info I needed.

Waterwings said:
No Lowe rigs there?
No, they aren't common in this area. I was really wanting to see Xpress, as they have a model that rivals many of the top glass boats as far as speed and fishability is concerned. 70 plus MPH with a 200, in a tinny.

Here is the list of tin (excluding 'toons) I remember seeing:
G3
Starcraft
Tracker
SeaArk
Triton

No camera this trip. I used more of a mental imagery system. What I wish I had was a set of the plans for my rig beforehand, so I would know what would and wouldn't be feasible in it, but that wasn't yet going to happen, so I just memorized everything that looked like it might pretend to be useful, and will see how it works later.

I was just looking at the XPress site after you mentioned it. The new Explorer models are nice! I also took a look at their 16' jon. The one thing I noticed is that there wasn't a storage area (w/hatch) on the fwd deck, which would be handy for possibly storing an anchor. Still a nice looking rig though.

I forgot about the boat show this weekend... and here I was sitting in the house cooped up all day next to the fireplace with the dog at my feet...

Guess that means tomorrow I'll be out in my military gortex fishing in the snow/sleet... they said rain, but they said rain right now and it's spitting snow - and has been for the last 4 hours

russ010 said:
I forgot about the boat show this weekend
Ah, you can still go tomorrow, if you want. Although, not really much that it would seem you would be interested in, unless you like to look at the big boats and dream....

Only jon boat was a Sea Ark 1548, which I really did not like. It had a very odd layout, but seemed well made. Motorguide didn't have much, and of course MK or Humminbird wasn't there. You can get a good deal on a under 10 horse Honda though. Seemed every marina that was there had at least two of those, all marked down, even though Honda didn't actually come represent (which was a shame, as I did want to talk with them, as that is my second choice behind the E-tec for powering my 20 footer). Go in the afternoon tomorrow, and you should be able to get a deal....

I do have to say, there were a number of deals there, as many people had expected. This economy is really hurting the boat industry, as nobody can get financing, and the oil speculators have scared off the people who can. Now is the time to get a deal.

The seminars left a lot to desired too. Many of the well respected people who were supposed to speak had to cancel, well ahead of time, but they still left them on the list, and replaced them with filler material. :shock:

I went to the local boat show this evening myself. I was expecting the price for new tins to be down with the cost of the raw material but boy, was I mistaken. :shock: I just about choked when I walked up to the first Alumacraft and War Eagles.

I did see some bargains. The dealer that I bought my boat from last year had a factory leftover 2008, 20' Triton with a 90hp Merc. for $15.5k. All the bells and whistles. That thing was a barge.

There were also some glass Stratos there that were $15k and under for 17' & 18' boats.

I haven't looked at them in a long time but I couldn't believe how plush the pontoon boats have gotten now. I have no idea how you would keep one of those things up and not ruin those plush interiors in one summer. I also couldn't believe how much they were now. $30k to $45k... for a pontoon boat! :shock: :shock:

Here's the Tyler Boats site (where I bought my rig). Click on the New Inventory & Used Inventory tabs to see what he's carrying and the prices. He's really cut back on the inventory from what I can tell looking at the website pics. I guess the status of the economy may have something to do with that. Mr. Tyler has some great folks working for him, and customer service still exists at his store. 8)

https://tylerboats.net/about.html