GLUE STAINS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manofvision

Reaction score
Love this site - spent all weekend working on my MOD - gotta ask if anyone knows how to remove glue stains from my hands. used GORILLA GLUE and ELMERS NANO GLUE - both are water proof. Both work really well. Both stick and stain your hands really well. Ha -
I've tried acetone, soaps, goo gone - HELP ME PLEASE

I had the same problem, but with that expanding foam Great Stuff... GASOLINE!

I used some gas that I keep for my lawnmowers. Poured it in an old empty gallon paint can I had and soaked my hands in it and kept rubbing them for about 20 min. It won't get all of it off, but it does pretty good in atleast cleaning them up so you don't look like you just stuck your hand in something bad.

After you get most of it cleaned off, I've got some pretty powerful Go-Jo that I used to take the gas smell off.. I can't remember which it was, but it was green colored.. found it - https://www.gojo.com/product/product.asp?productid=7

Thanks - and it does look like I've stuck my hands in something bad. ha - I'll try the gas - and give it a good scrubbing.

You might try laquor thinner - it is a lot different than paint thinner or other solvents. Don't know if it will work, but it takes wood glue and contact cement of very nicely - where paint thinner, alcohol, acetone, etc, dosen't work at all.

Acetone, mineral spirits and gasoline will not work. I know.. I've been there and done that the year before last repairing seats in my ski boat.

A friend contacted the company (it's right up the road from his house). They advised using an abrasive soap like Lava immediately after contact and then liberal use of a moisturizing hand lotion to loosen the rest of it. That might work if you try it as soon as it hits your skin but after it kicks, forget it.

Another friend that is a chemist turned me on to the fact that the chemicals in Gorilla Glue are broken down by UV light and things like chlorine. I tried everything under the sun and wound up removing it pretty quickly after exhausting all home methods by none ofther than a trip to the pool with my daughter. The chlorine in the water cut it in no time.

He suggested this if you can find it. It's chemical composition is exactly made for breaking down the type of urethane that GG is made of: https://www.3m.com/product/information/Paint-Buster-Hand-Cleaner.html

Other paint strippers or laquer thinner may work as well. I never got a chance to try them. Now, I wipe the stuff off immediately as soon as it has made contact. It makes a horrible stain. I had it all over both of my hands and wound up with a big glob of it on my stomach. It makes for a great hair remover. :shock:

Use a belt sander help upside down

60 grit will take just about anything off!

144626503_cd1ae6885b.jpg

Well I tried the gas - no luck. Tried thinner, lava soap and vasoline - no luck. Guy's I hate to say it but I've resorted to a green kitchen scrub pad. Sanded my way down to skin - amazing how red your hands can look. I appreciate all of your tips and ideas. I would like to recommend to everyone out there - if your gonna use GORILLA GLUE or ELMERS NANO GLUE use gloves or be very careful.

At least you didn't glue two fingers together like I did once with Super Glue. A trip to the emergency room and a little judicious work work with a scalpel took care of the problem.

sorry the gas didn't work.. i figured if it would work for Great Stuff, it would work for Gorilla Glue. I filled some holes one of those little 2 men bass boats with that stuff and got it all over me. I thought I would be smart and wipe my hands off in the dirt/leaves while it was still wet... well, lets just say I looked like one of the arabs (they don't use paper to wipe their butt - needless to say this is why you never wave with your left hand to them (even more reason to do it))

Quackrstacker - that's some great knowledge you provided. I'm going to have to find me some of that chemical you mentioned

Latest posts