Dogs video

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOIST-N-HAWGS

Reaction score
I through together a video of my dog's and thought I'd share.
Hope you enjoy it.[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Hj8jA4Cczk8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Hj8jA4Cczk8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Wow! Great work with the dogs!

Too late to train a 3 year old boxer to sit and stay like that? He does for the most part, but then like a light switch he goes into an I cant hear mode and takes off.

He also shakes and pisses on the floor with excitement when we have visitors...Annoys the heck out of me.

Jim said:

Too late to train a 3 year old boxer to sit and stay like that? He does for the most part, but then like a light switch he goes into (I cant hear mode) and takes off.

He also shakes and pisses on the floor with excitement when we have visitors...Annoys the heck out of me.

First off thats an amazing video.

Second off to jim, I have a Black Lab/Boxer mixed and she was like like until she turned 4 or 5. haha shed sit but her but would be wagging so fast when a visitor came she couldnt stay still haha. Now shes around 7 and all she does is lay around and beg for food! Hahaha just like me!

Jim said:

Too late to train a 3 year old boxer to sit and stay like that? He does for the most part, but then like a light switch he goes into an I cant hear mode and takes off.

Never too late to train the dog

1st you need to train the owner :lol:

Seriously, if you take the time you can train any dog, but you need to have the love and the time, that is about all you need. Some dogs just take longer

And remember, for every hour you train the dog, you should spend two just playing with that dog.

Thanks for the compliments. OUCH! took a nasty fall on my back steps after posting up the vid. I definately don't bounce like I used to :lol: or I would have replied sooner.

Jim, yes I can fix both those problems easily and I'm very partial to Boxers.

Russ, I think your in GA right? I do offer stay and train programs but rather expensive. I'd be happy to recommend a few easy reads that are a must have for all dog owners. I've also been know to offer free training advice for those afar. :wink:

Captain, great phlosophy! Words to live by!

HOIST-N-HAWGS said:
Russ, I think your in GA right? I do offer stay and train programs but rather expensive. I'd be happy to recommend a few easy reads that are a must have for all dog owners. I've also been know to offer free training advice for those afar. :wink:

That would be awesome for the reading material. He does pretty good, but I'm always reading something new - but having something to read worthwhile is hard to come by.

russ010 said:
HOIST-N-HAWGS said:

That would be awesome for the reading material. He does pretty good, but I'm always reading something new - but having something to read worthwhile is hard to come by.

Start w/ "The Toll Box for Remodeling Your Problem Dog" by Terry Ryan. Even if you don't have problems it covers everything you need to know and can be comprehended by a 5 year old. #1 book I recommend to my clients.

Attachments

• Tool box for retraining.jpg
    Tool box for retraining.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 616
BLK fisher said:
Great video. I am thinking of buying my kids a dog. A warmeriener or a pincher because my wife wants a small dog...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If your thinking Weimaraner, think TONS OF EXERSICE! They make a Lab look like a valum.

Nice work with the dogs. My (puggle) needs to learn drop, but other than that she is pretty good. We are going to be getting a 3 yr old chocolate lab/chesapekee cross this weekend. I am going to get that book just in case.

natetrack said:
Nice work with the dogs. My (puggle) needs to learn drop, but other than that she is pretty good. We are going to be getting a 3 yr old chocolate lab/chesapekee cross this weekend. I am going to get that book just in case.

Easy to teach, unless your against using food/rewards. Food rewards are always faded out and replaced w/ real life rewards, ie... petting verbal praise dog toy walk time play time or anything the dog sees as high value.

If you want to teach this becuase of thievery(usually is when clients request it) you must undertsand this 1st!. No dog repeatedly performs a behavior that is unrewarding. Nor will they waist time and or energy acting out a behavior that they get nothing out of. Thievery is a direct link to attention getting behavior. ie. I get no attention when I'm lying down and behaving(most people think that's what's expected, so don't bother him & let him be rather than calmly praising him) So Fido learns to act out, much like I did as a child. Dad was gone at an early age, so the only way I knew to get him to appear was to do something so wrong until my mom would say,"I'm calling your Father!! Exactly what I wanted :D Negitive attention is always better than no attention. In fact, whats the one thing our significant others can do to send us a message that we messed up baaaaad! The cold shoulder, right? Why becuase it works. Yell at me, talk to me, something! But don't just ingnore me! Therefore, if Fido steals wifies under garment and runs through the house,he knows he'll get attention, in addition to Fido thinking he's in charge. After all he started the game and you all followed. Nah nah nan nah nah, you can't catch me... You're the leader, leaders don't follow or chace, we lead!
Punishment for this behavior is still attention. If it's not life threatening to Fido, and or the product has no real value, stop showing him attention for that behavior and watch how quick that behavior becomes extinct,this works w/most unwanted behaviors. No attention or reward equals a waist of time and energy. If it's a chewing or destructive behavior, then it's linked to either stress or a release of pent up energy. In which case we interupt the unwanted behavior and replace it with a more appropriate one. ie.... puppy puzzle, Kong w/kibble or treats in it, a rope for dogs chew toy or tennis ball "here do this instead". THIS IS NOT BRIBERY! These are all the same techniques employed to train the Loins Tigers Bears and Dolphins, it's a science.
teaching drop;
Break up dog treats/or food into PEA SIZE bites( it's much easier to wean a dog off of Pea size treats than a chunk or whole biscuit). I recommend Natural Balance Beef roll if your against human food. It's actually dog food, but is seen as a treat in the eye's of Fido. San Diego Zoo feeds to to the all their conivores as their mainstay diet. Found in any Petco or quality pet store. I'll attach a pic at the end.
It is easier if you wear one of those cheap cotton carpenters nail belts or treat pouch. Reasons; dog may drop object while your reaching for the treat on the counter and lose interest. W/o out large pocket you may drop tid-bits on the floor while training "FREEBEES" in fido's eye's, why work when I get the off the floor for free. If you use your regular pockets, you may wake up with holes in them, if you know what I mean. Never mind forgetting you still had treats in your pants pocket and then run your pants through the washer & dryer #-o

At first use something you know he/she will readily put/take in their mouth. No need for a leash unless they will run/walk away once the object is taken. If so, attach a leash and let it lie on the floor and step on it. Not so to restrict movement, just to prevent them from walking away. Put a treat in your finger tips, place it on Fido's nose (say nothing at this point) Fido will drop the the object(if not the treat your using is not higher in value than the object) Up the value if need be. Be patient! Wait for him to drop the object. As soon as he does, praise with only these words... GOOD DROOOOOP! Reward him w/the treat immediately. Make sure you're not telling him to drop at this stage, you're are simply teaching what drop will mean. You want to label the action(DROP) not the act of holding. Repeat this leasson until Fido starts spitting the object out before you even have the treat in hand. Then it's time for the next stage. Only work with this once or twice a day for 5 to 10 minutes max! This shouldn't take to long for the both of you to get to this stage under a week I would say. When you reach this stage post it up and I'll move you to the next stage.
Have fun and don't get upset if somethings not working. If it becomes negative neither one of you will want to take part. Alway end these sessions on a positive note, meaning always end the lesson when Fido has performed the task correctly.
As I said, any questions or problems at all, just post up and I'll reply.
Have fun!

HOIST-N-HAWGS said:
BLK fisher said:
Great video. I am thinking of buying my kids a dog. A warmeriener or a pincher because my wife wants a small dog...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If your thinking Weimaraner, think TONS OF EXERSICE! They make a Lab look like a valum.
My buddy had one and he was nonstop. Especially in the snow.Lol.

Good job training the dogs.

I get my dogs trained the way I like them. It does take time and persistence.

My son went off to get his law degree couple months ago and I inherited his black lab and border collie. Talk about high energy dogs. They are both about 2 years old now and have always lived in my house. I live on a corner lot and have them both trained not to leave the yard. 95% of the time not a problem. Only time I have trouble is when the squirrels heckle the dogs. The lab bolts across the street and follows that **** thing into the woods. Lately though he has gotten better about freezing in his tracks when I yell NO!

Give me the summer and I'll have them trained well. My last dog would never leave the yard and I could leave him out there all day long. I miss that Austrialian Sheppard. Best dog I ever had.

Sorry, I forgot to post up the Natural Balance rolls. Must be the meds :lol: I also wanted to make sure to highlight the storage intructions. This is real beef so it will get rancid if not properly stored. I usually recommend quartering the whole roll and placing in ziplocks, keeping 4 days worth in the fridge and freeze the other portions. A day or two prior to runnning out of the refrigerated portion, pull another 4 day portion from the freezer and into the fridge.

STORAGE
The unopened Natural Balance® Dog Food Rolls can be kept at room temperature for up to 12 months. Please refrigerate rolls upon opening. We suggest to refrigerate rolls at the time of purchase to preserve its full flavor. For Extended Storage, Natural Balance® Dog Food Rolls should be frozen

https://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/DFRolls.html

Attachments

• rolls_4lb_group_200w.jpg
    rolls_4lb_group_200w.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 246
Awesome post HNH - you are definitely going to be an asset to the manners of Kodiak (90lb 1 year old GSD).... I'm going to start working with him on drop as soon as I get home tonight. he drops, but only if I'm holding onto what I want him to let go of - this should reinforce it!

russ010 said:
Awesome post HNH - you are definitely going to be an asset to the manners of Kodiak (90lb 1 year old GSD).... I'm going to start working with him on drop as soon as I get home tonight. he drops, but only if I'm holding onto what I want him to let go of - this should reinforce it!

Russ if I may suggest , use "GIVE" for when you both have a hold of an object and "DROP" for when you don't have a hold on the object. Use the same technique as above just change the verbal command. My digital is stuck on still pictures or I'd post up vid's on how to.

The best command I've ever taught the Wimie was to "FIND THE REMOTE CONTROL"! =D> Well, that one and "SHOW ME THE MONEY", he then pick-pockets and brings the $$$ to me :D Teaching them so many diferent commands to help me, has also given me a very convenient exuse to why I'm 30lbs over weight :lol:

Latest posts