Ever use one of these stoves?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
Basically it is an outer sleeve with space between it and the inner sleeve. there is a fan under in the bottom. As your fuel burns, it produces a gas that the fan sucks out and pushes to the top holes of the stove, where they then re ignite and burn. That is what he is referring to as "jetting". Because it burns the same fuel twice, it is pretty efficient.

From every thing I have read they are great little stoves, and I might ump on the smaller of the two to keep with me in the truck when I go out fishing, along with a small mess kit type situation. Everywhere I fish has some form of woods, so I would probably never have to bring my own, and I might keep a bundle of pieces or a bag of wood chips with it just in case. The best part about these is that the outer metal stays cool enough to touch, and will not scorch the ground.

I may try to make one before I drop the 50 dollars on the small one, as there are a lot of plans out there. The fan system shouldn't be too hard to figure out, as It just has two speeds.

https://www.woodgas-stove.com/

also here is a video of an independent review.

[youtube]fTz6jZoUJwA[/youtube]

Thats what I like about them. Enough to cook two dishes if you need to.

I decided to try my hand at building one first. If all goes well I can build another one. It would cost me about $10 to build, and thats if I choose to buy unused paint cans instead of using tin cans. If I use tin cans, it would be close, if not completely, free. If I decide to add the fan, maybe $5-7 in Radio Shack parts.

I figure its lighter, smaller, and less costly than a propane stove. That is both in initial cost, and operating costs, with propane tanks.

I can taste them now...Fish tacos right on the shore, as fresh as you can get. :D

Cool stove. I have never seen that type before. I use a cat can alcohol stove.
https://royrobinson.homestead.com/Cat_Stove.html

I use a 35mm film canister to measure fuel. One film canister will boil 2 cups of water and cook a Lipton dinner before burning out. The water will start to boil in around 5 minutes. It is very cheap to build, no mechanical parts to fail, weighs next to nothing and can be stored anywhere.

Sorry to bring this back up, but I finished mine this morning after school. I ended up buying a quart paint can to use as the outside for $2.50. I put it on the grill and fired it up. Worked better than I thought, but I saw a few design flaws I need to work out. One of which is the jets at the top of the inner can. Luckily both issues can be fixed by redoing the inner soup can. I'll try to get the pictures and video up tonight after work.

here are the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 275

Latest posts