Berkley Trilene Professional Fluorocarbon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMDave

Reaction score
Vanish was trash, but Berkley has obviously struggled to rid their bad reputation of being a trashy fluorocarbon maker. And they succeeded with their new Trilene "Professional Grade" 100% fluorocarbon line. It's nice and limp, has extremely low memory, strong, has a good amount of stretch (but not too much), sinks nicely, and looks almost invisible underwater. It also has very good tensile and knot strength. I would highly recommend this line.

Specifications: I used the 10lb. clear line on a Shimano Convergence rod with an Okuma SG-30 Stratus spinning reel (which is the size of most 250 sizes).

Strength: 25/25
This line combines knot strength and tensile strength, which is usually what you think of when you think of line strength, the pound test at which it breaks. I have never broken off a knot from casting or catching fish, only snagging, in which the knot strength is VERY useful. It never came undone on casts or hooking fish (including hooksets), and has got me out of LOTS of snags (a.k.a. trees :p ). But the snags that can't be undone, such as underwater rocks, other large structure, it will break off at the knot nicely so you conserve line. This line is also very resistant of scratches and frays (which is important in the stony Delaware).

Limpness: 25/25
I can't really compare this limpness to other fluorocarbons, but it is a WHOLE much more limp than Berkley Vanish was. Awesome limpness.

Memory: 25/25
This is one of the shining features of this line. It comes off of the spool (of line) and the reel spool with very few coils compared to Berkley Big Game, and Trilene monofilament. It has the lowest memory of any line I've ever used next to Power Pro.

Visibility: 22/25
If you expect fluorocarbon to be invisible like companies advertise, it's not going to happen. There is no truly "invisible" line. This line does show up a lot less in comparison to monofilament, in terms of sparkling and light refraction (bending light in ways after it comes in). If you are fishing clear water, use the clear line, and the green in algae-tinted water. No matter what, you and the fish will probably still see the line, but fish don't seem to care! All they want to see is a big ol' senko at the end of the line.

97/100
Conclusion: This line is a very solid fluorocarbon, changing my mind about Berkley in the fluorocarbon industry after the mess of Berkley Vanish. The line has less stretch than monofilament, but still has some of stretch to it. It can be used for spinnerbaits, which is often thought of a presentation needing monofilament. This line is awesome and I would definitley recommend it.

I spooled up my trout rod with this line in 4lb test and I have to say I like it much better than the seaguar and other flouros I have used as of yet. I have only caught trout up to 18 inches on it so far but with closed to 100 trout on it as of yet, I have not lost a fish or had and knot failure. I bought some XPS flouro on sale and will give it a try before I make the decision on my primary flouro.

Latest posts