Sad About The Ice Fishermen on Erie

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
That was a sad and unfortunate situation on Lake Erie. Amazing how such a large area of ice can drift like that.

Be carefull out there Flounder :wink: Capt's got the right idea about hard water :lol:

I heard on one newscast that they built a bridge of pallets to reach the slab of ice and as it shifted/moved the pallets fell away and stranded them. Is that a common practice? It seems to me that it would not be a good idea to go to an ice pack that is not connected to land somehow. I have never iced fished so I don't know what the practices are.

I don't ice fish large lakes like that. The lakes I fish don't have that problem. The worst thing that happens is the runoff from the melting snow melts the ice right at the shoreline. If it melts enough, you need to walk on some boards to either get on or off the safe ice. When you are dealing with a lake that doesn't freeze all the way across you can get ice flows breaking off. When you have a lake that freezes all the way across, generally the edges melt before the middle and that restricts access so you don't get people drifting around. I was hoping to go ice fishing Monday the 15th, but not sure what the ice conditions are going to be. I'm sure the lakes will refreeze before the final thaw, just not sure when.

i herd about that on the radio. glad they made it out ok, it made me cold just hearing about it. they had a big rant going on about how the fisherman should of gotten fined, or how they should pass civil penalties for people who have to be rescued.... that kind of pissed me off. our tax dollars already pay for the rescue, yet they're trying to get more money from the "working man"

Yes but the working man decided to place boards over cracks that were already in the ice with signs that say "boarding on ice prohibited"

Kinda like the working man who is late for work, and if he is late one more time he is fired, so why should he get the speeding ticket when pulled over?

They are very fortunate to have their lives, one didnt make it....

A boat may have finally cut their selection of ice off,i never heard of that but it could be possible. but according to the Lake Erie news they were already having cracking in the ice in certain places due to the runoff of snow from he recent storms.

Latest posts