Eye Protection when fishing (Poll)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What eye protection do you wear when fishing?

• 1) Clear non-darkening prescription glasses

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 2) "Drugstore" inexpensive sunglasses

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 3) Prescription glasses that darken in sunlight

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 4) Name brand non-prescription sunglasses

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • 5) Nothing worn

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 6) Not concerned about UV or ballsitic eye protection

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7) Sometimes I wear it, sometimes I don't

• 8 ) I wear contacts

• 9) Prescription sunglasses

• Total voters

Waterwings

Reaction score
I was looking at some sunglasses ads on-line and got to thinking about what our members wear when fishing, especially for UV and ballistic protection, so...here's a Poll: 8)

Note: Ballistic protection encompasses flying objects while fishing such as lures springing back at you from a snag, flying bugs for you guys that scoot down the lake at speeds faster than a trolling motor provides, etc. :wink:

I've worn sunglasses while I fished religously since someone on another site posted a pic of some poor guy with a treble hook buried in his eye. That was all I needed. If anyone is wishy washy on wearing eye protection while fishing, and would like to get "fixed" just let me know, and I'll pm you the picure. Otherwise, I'll let the others keep there lunch down.

PROTECT YOUR EYES!

I actually just bought a new pair of WileyX sunglasses... they are the "Blink Series"... polarized frame.
https://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/P...e=OUTDOORS&ProductLine=445,BLINK&ItemCode=558

I got these because the military allows them to be worn as safety glasses... it's amazing the detail you can see into the water with these. Bassboy and I were fishing a few weeks ago and I noticed a few shad about a foot under the surface. I took them off and couldn't see them. Well worth the $100 I got them for.

The WileyX ad is what I was looking at online. They look like some nice glasses. I wear bifocals, but am seriously thinking about getting some good sunglasses (non-prescription) for fishing. Really only need my regular glasses for driving and reading...............and threading line on a hook :roll: . I can probably pick a pair up at Ft. Campbell (about 45 miles south of me). I heard my wife mention we may be going there to the Commissary anyway. 8)

I searched all over online, and ended up getting them for $107 with free shipping. I found 1 place that would do a price match and beat that price. I got them from here - https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/wiley-blink.html. If I find website that was lower, I'll post that link too incase anybody wants to snag a pair.

I wear contacts and I've been having trouble driving at night with all the glare... I can put these on and I can see better... now I can sing that song "I wear my sunglasses at night..." :roflmao: 8)

I wear perscription glasses 24/7.... I have a pair of cheap (Wallmart type) clip on sunglasses which I put on only when the sun is too bright. Add another category for "clip-ons" to perscription glasses....

I have some Costa del Mar shade with changable lenses. I like the Wiley-X glasses alot and was going to get those but a bro from my fishing club had the hook up on Costas so there you have it.

I've been a bit of a sunglasses knob since the 80s and usually wear a decent pair for kicking around as well, cheap ones give me headaches.

I used to only wear sunglasses when I needed to actually see in the water - since most of my fishing was salt water inshore bottom fishing in depths of over 40 feet I rarely needed to sight fish anything.

About fifteen years ago I spent a very long day trolling for tuna - super clear day offshore. By the end of teh day my eyes were burning - and after I got off the water i looked in a mirror and the whites were solid red. Turns out I burned my eyes from the sun - now I wear the shades all the time.

Since then I have become an avid fan of river wading - you need the glasses to see the bottom (which does not always help me i am constantly falling anyway - I guess I shoudl look where I am and not where I think there might be a fish :lol: _

Captain Ahab said:
Since then I have become an avid fan of river wading - you need the glasses to see the bottom (which does not always help me i am constantly falling anyway - I guess I shoudl look where I am and not where I think there might be a fish :lol: _

my wife likes going down a river outside of her parents cabin up in the mountains... we get in a couple of miles above their house, and float down in inner tubes.. I take my light tackle setup and fish.. but there are so many rocks I usually lose all of my spinners within the first 15 min - or I catch the trees because I'm so used to flinging a baitcaster

Im with NICKK, Costa Del Mar with the interchangable lenses. The 3 different lenses generally meet all conditions. Gotta take good care of expensive glasses though. These things arent cheap.

russ010 said:
I searched all over online, and ended up getting them for $107 with free shipping. I found 1 place that would do a price match and beat that price. I got them from here - https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/wiley-blink.html. If I find website that was lower, I'll post that link too incase anybody wants to snag a pair.

I wear contacts and I've been having trouble driving at night with all the glare... I can put these on and I can see better... now I can sing that song "I wear my sunglasses at night..." :roflmao: 8)

dang it Russ, you're going to cost me some money :) I also wear contacts and fished last year with my favorite pair of non polarize sun glasses. I've wondered if it really made a difference or if the pro's just wear those expensive ones just so we'll also buy them. Kind of like basketball players and high end athletic shoes. I also have recently noticed my night vision driving isn't what it used to be. Wonder if the polarized lenses will help there... huh. I'm sure I'll wind up with a pair at some point.

Poolie

ONLY Costa Del Mars.. Find someone with a pair, bring a box mart pair, go to the water and you will be amazed at the difference. They are a lot of $$$, but I think that they are worth it. Their warranty is great also. I sat on mine and sent them in for repair. The fixed them for $18 + shipping.

I've got a couple of bud's who wear Cocoons over their glasses and they seem to like them.

I fish a lot at night for catfish. I don't worry too much about the sun at night, but in the daytime I do wear sunglasses. I am learning to fly cast also and it makes me worry with the fly zipping by me even with glasses on. I have not been snagged as of yet, but it is only a matter of time I believe. It would hurt my eyes to be on the water from dawn to dusk and not have some protection from the sun. I also wear a wide brim hat to help keep the suns rays off of me.

I've got a couple of bud's who wear Cocoons over their glasses and they seem to like them.

My wife bought a pair of Cocoons a few years ago to wear over her prescrition glasses (before she had the lasik surgery), and I tried them on over my glasses. I didn't care for them as they blocked a lot of my peripheal vision, even though they have the small "windows" on each side. They seemed way too bulky for me. The prescription glasses I wear now turn fairly dark (Transitions) when outside in the sunlight, but the style of the frames lets in a lot of sunlight around them, which gets to be bothersome after a long day on the water in the sun. An definitely going to look into a pair of decent wrap-around sunglasses for fishing; will just have to remember to change into my regular glasses before I drive home :shock:

Waterwings said:
The WileyX ad is what I was looking at online. They look like some nice glasses. I wear bifocals, but am seriously thinking about getting some good sunglasses (non-prescription) for fishing. Really only need my regular glasses for driving and reading...............and threading line on a hook :roll: . I can probably pick a pair up at Ft. Campbell (about 45 miles south of me). I heard my wife mention we may be going there to the Commissary anyway. 8)

Have you seen cocoons?

https://www.cocoonseyewear.com/

Seems like these are the tickets if you want to keep your bifocals on.

Latest posts