Weigh-In Scales for Tournaments

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ010

Reaction score
I think we're going to try and start up a little jon boat club here in North GA... my question is for the tourney guys - or anyone else who has any info..

What kind of scales can you use to do the weigh-in with? I've looked at a few online, but I'm having a hard time finding scales that are cheaper than $400.. ain't no way I'm dropping that kind of dough on a set of scales.

I was wondering if I could use regular shipping scales that read out the the hundredths and go up to 100lbs.. any info you guys can give would be greatly helpful.

I see no reason why a regular shipping scale woudl not work - so long as it is accurate throughout the range

Test it with a known weight (go to the post office if you want to check it against another scale)

I don't know alot about the scale we use other than it is digital, and it can be "zeroed-out" with the basket and a piece of acrylic (keeps the fish from flopping out or around) sitting on it.

Ebay is the place the look Russ... We got a Jennings/JScale "JShip 130" Shipping Scale for around $50 for the USA Bassin Trail we put on... it retailed for $250. We used it in all of our tournaments this winter and they are awesome!

Here is a link to the auction where you can get them... this is the same guy we bought ours from.

https://cgi.ebay.com/JShip-130-x-0-...72731776QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Shipping_Scales

G3_Guy said:
Ebay is the place the look Russ... We got a Jennings/JScale "JShip 130" Shipping Scale for around $50 for the USA Bassin Trail we put on... it retailed for $250. We used it in all of our tournaments this winter and they are awesome!

Here is a link to the auction where you can get them... this is the same guy we bought ours from.

https://cgi.ebay.com/JShip-130-x-0-...72731776QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Shipping_Scales

If I'm reading this right, it would weight a tub of fish to the .1# increments... so 5 fish would weigh in at 5.2 lbs? Or will it read out to the hundredths, like 5.21?

Thanks for the help guys! This is awesome!

russ010 said:
If I'm reading this right, it would weight a tub of fish to the .1# increments... so 5 fish would weigh in at 5.2 lbs? Or will it read out to the hundredths, like 5.21?

They would read 5.2lbs.

awesome... I really need one to go out to the hundreths (guys down here are funny like that). I sent the ebayer you recommended an email asking his opinion on any he has that go out to the hundreths. Thanks man, you are the best! Not to mention one of the best smallie fisherman I know

Jim said:
Russ, Even if it is a little off, everyones weigh in will be a little off too, making it even right? Does my theory make sense? :LOL2:

That is why I suggested testing the scale through a range - sometimes the scale will read ten (10) pounds exactly but at five (5) pounds it could be off. Capice?

I'm not too worried about it being a little off... I've got some shipping weights that I can test and let every one see the range from 2lbs all the way to 15lbs. The only problem I will probably have will be to finding a level spot to put the scales on... I've got a bench to set them on, just need level ground!

russ010 said:
I'm not too worried about it being a little off... I've got some shipping weights that I can test and let every one see the range from 2lbs all the way to 15lbs. The only problem I will probably have will be to finding a level spot to put the scales on... I've got a bench to set them on, just need level ground!

We use a picnic table when possible or someone's tailgate most of the time.

Brine said:
We use a picnic table when possible or someone's tailgate most of the time.

Brine brings up a good point... we use a Rubbermaid Card Table. This allows you to take a wet cloth and wipe it down at the ramp and take a water hose to it at the house when needed. I picked up two rectangle laundry baskets at the Wal-Mart for $3 or $4 each and drilled holes in the bottom of them to let the water drain out.

A side note about those scales I sent you the link too... the weight locks-in after 1 second on the display. This helps because those fish can get a little hyper when they're laying there. Once, it's locked, the weight stays displayed until you remove the basket.

Good luck and let us know what you end up going with.

I was thinking about it, and there is about a 10x10 platform dock down at the ramp that is very stable. I also have one of those Husky folding bench tops (like you get at HD) that I have my compound mitre saw on.. and I can use that - it has leveling feet on it as well.

I'm still waiting on a response from the ebay guy - I hope he has something that can get to a hundredth of an oz... that could really be a determining factor for Lathem where we're having our first tournament in March.

russ010 said:
brine - do y'alls scales read out to the tenths or hundredths?
Hundredths......Not uncommon with 25 boats to have that little a difference somewhere. Because we fish for points throughout the season, all weights are important, not just the places that payout.
G3_Guy said:
I picked up two rectangle laundry baskets at the Wal-Mart for $3 or $4 each and drilled holes in the bottom of them to let the water drain out.
We did the same thing. If we can weigh in right next to the lake, we only use one basket.
G3_Guy said:
A side note about those scales I sent you the link too... the weight locks-in after 1 second on the display. This helps because those fish can get a little hyper when they're laying there. Once, it's locked, the weight stays displayed until you remove the basket.
I'm not sure I completely understand this, but it's not uncommon for the scale to need about 5 seconds to allow the fish to settle down enough to get an accurate weight. It seems as though if the scale were to lock in 1 second after placing it on the scale, it would not be accurate, meaning if a fish is in the middle of a flop during that second. The acrylic piece we place on top is used to keep the flopping to a minimum and prevent any fish from exiting the basket and is calibrated with the basket. I'm envisioning having to pick up the basket and put it back down numerous times to get an accurate reading.

russ010 said:
I was thinking about it, and there is about a 10x10 platform dock down at the ramp that is very stable. I also have one of those Husky folding bench tops (like you get at HD) that I have my compound mitre saw on.. and I can use that - it has leveling feet on it as well.

I'm still waiting on a response from the ebay guy - I hope he has something that can get to a hundredth of an oz... that could really be a determining factor for Lathem where we're having our first tournament in March.

Russ, we weigh in on a tailgate parked next to the boathouse at Lathem. I would suggest not using a dock whenever possible. Have your weigh in a minimum of 20 feet from the waters edge. Don't want you to be involved with someone's fish getting lost at weigh-in. I can imagine that's an ugle scene. My 2 Cents.

Brine said:
G3_Guy said:
I'm not sure I completely understand this, but it's not uncommon for the scale to need about 5 seconds to allow the fish to settle down enough to get an accurate weight. It seems as though if the scale were to lock in 1 second after placing it on the scale, it would not be accurate, meaning if a fish is in the middle of a flop during that second. The acrylic piece we place on top is used to keep the flopping to a minimum and prevent any fish from exiting the basket and is calibrated with the basket. I'm envisioning having to pick up the basket and put it back down numerous times to get an accurate reading.

Sorry Brine.. I should have given a little more detail...

I was meaning that the fish only had to be still and the scales set for a second (maybe 2) and then the weight would lock-in... not that the scale would lock after just one second. Hope that makes sense.

I just got an email back and I don't think they are going to have what I'm looking for. They do have something more precise, but the platform is only like an 8" x 6"... and I don't think that would be big enough. What do you guys think?

That's a small base... you might see if you can find something bigger or decide to go with tenths instead of hundredths...

Latest posts