High wind advisory tonight (KY, IN, MO, IL)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Well, just got the call from the school board and no school again tomorrow (that makes 15 days we've been out). They've cancelled school tomorrow due to the high wind advisory (supposed to be fairly high mph stuff), due to all of the broken branches that are still hanging on some trees and on some power lines that I've seen. Broken limbs may block the rural roadways and buses can't get through. Just went out and lashed my grill to the deck railing and stored other "missile hazards" under the deck. This bad weather is startin' to get on my nerves now!

Quackr, and other folks in the tri-state area, better batten-down the hatches!

Here's a cut & paste from MSN Weather:

SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST WINDS ARE FORECAST TO INCREASE LATE TONIGHT AND BECOME STRONG AND GUSTY WEDNESDAY. LATE TONIGHT... WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 15 TO 30 MPH WITH A FEW GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH AT TIMES.

IN ADDITION... THERE IS A SLIGHT RISK OF STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ESPECIALLY LATE TONIGHT... WHICH MAY RESULT IN EVEN STRONGER WINDS AT TIMES.

A BAND OF STRONG TO POSSIBLY SEVERE STORMS WILL MOVE RAPIDLY NORTHEAST ACROSS THE REGION WEDNESDAY MORNING... THUS THE THREAT FOR STRONG WIND GUSTS WILL CONTINUE. BEHIND THE SHOWERS AND STORMS... NON THUNDERSTORM GRADIENT WINDS ARE FORECAST TO INCREASE AND BECOME SOUTHWEST. SPEEDS OF 20 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH ARE EXPECTED. THE WINDS SHOULD GRADUALLY DIMINISH DURING THE MID TO LATE AFTERNOON HOURS.

THIS HIGH WIND WARNING IS IN EFFECT... BECAUSE OF THE HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE EXPECTED STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS.

THE RECENT ICE STORM THAT AFFECTED WESTERN KENTUCKY... AND PORTIONS OF FAR SOUTHERN ILLINOIS... SOUTHWEST INDIANA AND SOUTHEAST MISSOURI LEFT SOME TREES IN A WEAKENED STATE... WITH MANY LOOSE HANGING LIMBS AND BRANCHES. THE WINDS MAY RESULT IN NEW POWER OUTAGES FOR SOME AREAS... AND RESULT IN MINOR PROPERTY DAMAGE AS WELL. BE CAUTIOUS IF YOU MUST TRAVEL LATE TONIGHT INTO TOMORROW. LIMBS OR EVEN WEAKENED TREES COULD COME DOWN ON AREA ROADWAYS.

dang bro - y'all can't win for losing. Hope all goes well.

WW - y'all are going to be in school ALL YEAR long!

I saw the warning a little earlier.

I have a tree that split from the ice causing me to lose half of it already. This wind is probably going to finish it off. I am sick and tired of this severe weather that we keep getting pounded by. :x

Been raining all day, but everything is calm at the moment. It'll probably wait until I go to bed to start. I don't sleep well during this stuff, but my wife goes to bed and tells me to wake her if anything happens. :shock: . Yep, our summers are short now, and I still have to do the 8 days in TN during the summer for leadership academy as one of the instructors.

I came home and drove some t-posts into the ground and strapped the trees the best that I could.

If the wind gets bad enough, it probably will not help much.

The wind is just now starting to pickup here, but not bad at the moment. Warm temps this time of year usually mean tornados are possible. I went back outside a little while ago and lashed our wooden adirondack years to the railing also. The neighbors probably think I'm nuts, lol.

Yeah here in Ohio we got the police reports ready for rage...

a couple months ago we had 70mph wind gusts and so much was damaged... the new report for tommorow, 65mph wind with possible 85mph gusts.... hurricane in ohio :) may the fun begin.

It's been rocking here since about 3 am. Between the wind and a serious case of indigestion from eating dinner right before bed, I'm about wiped out.

I figured that when I got up, I would not have any power and 2 more trees on the ground but so far, so good.

The wind is roaring here right now but I don't think it has hit it's peak yet. :(

Waterwings said:
The wind is just now starting to pickup here, but not bad at the moment. Warm temps this time of year usually mean tornados are possible. I went back outside a little while ago and lashed our wooden adirondack years to the railing also. The neighbors probably think I'm nuts, lol.

Yup, watched the weather channel and they said tornado watch in effect heading towards KY. That many days to make up and the stuff you do in the summer looks like not much fishing for Waterwings

We got high wind advisories this morning also.I hate strong wind.It's nearly destroyed my car port,and it broke some rafters in my house.I think that was a down draft tho.

ben2go said:
We got high wind advisories this morning also.I hate strong wind.It's nearly destroyed my car port,and it broke some rafters in my house.I think that was a down draft tho.

agree, its totally screwed up my house, siding and roof :x

Well, that was fun! :shock: . Lost power for about 25 minutes, and rain was blowing so hard i couldn't see the road down from my house. Skies opened up and some sun came through for about 10 minutes.. Still have wind advisory until this evening with gusts to 60mph. No wonder I can't quit smoking! 8-[ .

You know how guys get that permanant ring in the back pocket of their jeans from dip cans!? I have a mark from carrying my Mini-Mag flashlight around constantly, lol.

flounderhead59 said:
Waterwings said:
Yup, watched the weather channel and they said tornado watch in effect heading towards KY. That many days to make up and the stuff you do in the summer looks like not much fishing for Waterwings

I might as well pull my batteries and put the rig on blocks. :roll: . My wife is at work this morning so I've been calling checking on her. Rain & snow forecast for Saturday!

I just called my house and waited for the answering machine to pick up to make sure that I still had electricity. Thankfully, it did.

The wind here has been brutal. The utility poles were dancing about 3" in every direction and it just about flipped the dumpsters behind the office. The winds that we are getting right now with full sun are almost as strong as the ones with the storms. :shock:

Quackrstackr said:
I just called my house and waited for the answering machine to pick up to make sure that I still had electricity. Thankfully, it did.

The wind here has been brutal. The utility poles were dancing about 3" in every direction and it just about flipped the dumpsters behind the office. The winds that we are getting right now with full sun are almost as strong as the ones with the storms. :shock:

That's for sure! Just saw a neighbor two houses down from me up on his roof nailing some shingles down that came loose down.

Don't say that...

That's all I need is a bunch of shingles blown off. I've been waiting on the roofer since the end of last summer anyway. With the weather that we have had, I'm glad that I told him he couldn't start it until the temps warmed back up.

I've had to have my roofer come out a couple of times and replace shingles. I've never really liked the wind, lol. Good call on waiting for better/warmer weather! 8) . here's a short stroy: When we moved here 13 yrs ago the neighbor at that time told us there used to be a sign near the highway with the name of the area here, which is Westwind Estates (don't know eher they came up with the estates thing :roll: ) . I asked him where the sign was now, and he told me the wind blew it away. :shock:

We have a high wind warning for tomorrow....20 to 40mph and gust of 50mph. I put a few more straps on the boat cover. They are calling for severe thunderstorms also. I HATE WIND! :x

Latest posts