Rick Clunn to run Aluminum at Classic!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Captain Ahab said:
Who the heck is Rick Clunn

He's that old hippie dude with the ponytail. :lol:

He was a nice guy when I met him eons ago on the Red Man Tournament Trail (now FLW).

Some of the pros have wised up and run tin rigs depending on the venue. I saw several of them sink their big money glass rigs on rivers after striking objects back then.

Didnt Roland Martin use an aluminum jet boat a few years ago at a tourneyment and every body complained cause they couldnt reach those skinny waters?

You can fish thin with tin. :wink:

What a great sales pitch that Tracker wrote for him. Of course, we all know the reason he is doing that is because he got a better sponsorship offer from Tracker than any glass boat manufacture. :shock: :D :D

So I take it BASS has dropped the idea of running only one boat in the classic (Tritons 2 years ago - didn't even pretend to follow it last year)?

bassboy1 said:
What a great sales pitch that Tracker wrote for him. Of course, we all know the reason he is doing that is because he got a better sponsorship offer from Tracker than any glass boat manufacture. :shock: :D :D

So I take it BASS has dropped the idea of running only one boat in the classic (Tritons 2 years ago - didn't even pretend to follow it last year)?

I can see your point, but then why not run a Nitro?

Jim said:

Advertising. I have a feeling that tin may be a bit more attractive than glass on the lots these days.. especially if they can compete in the Classic. :wink:

Although, Clunn really has gone off on the peace, love and mother earth thing in the last few years so he may be sincere in his reasoning of going a bit more fuel friendly.

Whos Rick Clunn? Thats like asking who is Pam Anderson? LOL.
I understand Ricks article on catching fish just as well out of a smaller boat vs. 22 ft fiberglass with a 250 and it being cheaper but trust me, but Rick Clunn doesnt pay for his boat, truck, gas, rods, reels, or tournament fees, so his point of view really doesnt work well for me.

I think personally he has spots that require a very small light boat. Smart move. Secret spots that allow him to go where others cant. On top of that I cant see him having a stock bass tracker. It has to have some sort of tricked out rod lockers etc. He carries about 15 rod combos and tons of tackle not to mention a camera guy.

I also like what he said about not fishing lake erie in a tin boat. Im not busting on tin boats. I have a glass champion and a electric reservoir boat but you certainly arent going in big water with a 18ft aluminum boat. Try crossing the chesapeake bay with a light breeze, not gonna happen. Now try crossing the chesi with 30 mph winds. Your probably not going to make it back. [-X

I hope he does well though, Rick is a smooth cat and one hell of a fisherman. =D>

Jim said:
Because Tracker is pushing their tin rigs. That is their flagship line, and for those of y'all that follow glass bass boats as well as tin will know that Nitro boats are not exactly known as being all that great. Sponsoring the classic isn't going to help these rigs in the higher tournament level anglers, which was proven by KVD. Obviously, Tracker isn't making a fortune with these, and won't, and with the economical situation for the next 4 years or so, tin is very likely going to be coming in. They are temporarily becoming cheaper to produce than before, due to materials cost drop, and with funds being tighter, many will start to gravitate towards them, which makes them a double plus for a manufacture.

It was really a smart move for Tracker to do this right now. Putting aluminum boats in the classic will definitely increase the popularity in large tourneys, and Tracker definitely has a leg up on this, as they have their name out in the tourney field before the others, and before the worst of the economic crunch hits. Nothing is going to really change the fate of glass rigs right now, many small companies will probably be lost while the big ones make it, but not easily, so all companies need to be pushing the smaller rigs, and tin rigs harder than they have in a while.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see more tin in the large tourneys from here on out, and would personally love to see more Xpress in the running. I have got to say, the X19, with Etec 200 HO, Minn Kota Fortrex Trolling motor, Humminbird 997 at the dash, and the aluminum trailer is SWEET!

Jim said:
:beer:

https://www.fishingworld.com/pro-rickclunn/

How do we get in touch with Rick Clunn? :mrgreen:

Find out the tourny schduale.Then plan a day for all the tin boat members to show up with their rigs,sporting giant TinBoats.net stickers,and wearing the shirts.Jim,don't forget to bring a few boxes of biz cards with TinBoats.net.

:LOL22: :LMFAO:

Jim said:
bassboy1 said:

Ya ever notice what KVD fishes from 8) . I can say that I don't think Clunn is doing it just because Tracker is supplying the boat. He is more than likely (as mentioned in a post above) figuring on going to some skinny water that the glass rigs can't get to. He did mention in the article that he was going to rig it, so he probably won't be using a stock boat. Tracker is not that bad of a boat. I had a '05 PT175 and thoroughly enjoyed it, and never had a problem with it. Flounderhead runs one, and I'm pretty sure he likes it. :)

I'd like to see more pros in tin rigs! 8)

I can see Tracker trying to push their boats, but I personally LOVE their Tournament V18's. They are sweet! And i'm betting this will be the boat that he fishes out of. If I could afford it, and was in the market for something along these lines, I wouldn't rule them out.

Tracker does make a nice boat but storage wise for a pro angler, they are going to come up short. I have a feeling he is going to come out with one bad A$$ looking rig and then tracker will probably start marketing a "RICK CLUNN" special. They really need to start offering a nice top end rig that is under $20K, but it needs to be loaded. Al in all it is a nice move for Tracker. It would not shock me to see BASS go back to the 225 max horsepower or maybe even lower, in an effort to save some $$$$. A top line champion or raner fully rigged with a 250 is probably $60K plus and that is just unreasonable. YOu can find great internet deals on repo boats right now. One guy recently had a 2008 22ft. Skeeter with a 300 Yami fully loaded, showroon cond for $30K and Im sure he would have or did take $25K or so.

Latest posts