Taken while fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
This stuff was taken while I was fishing. :LOL2:

Quabbin Reservoir - Wedding Ring (tried to shake off some slime and off went the ring)
Quabbin Reservoir - $250 Pair of Revos (put shades on top of my head, went to lie back on the bench, hit my head on the edge..sunglasses in the drink).
Quabbin Reservoir - $10 pair of vintage early 80's Jimmy Houston sunglasses (Buddys shades, he did the same thing I did, but 20 minutes before me.)

Other than that, I have been fairly lucky.

You?

BPS Extreme Rod on Pleuger President reel Power Pro Braid with Seagaur leader, a 1/4 oz Eakins Jig with Baby Paca Craw Trailer donated to the Fish Gods on Lake Varner in about 16 ft of water with 3 foot of grass last year. Spent 1 1/2 hours trying to find it with an aqua-view. Total Cost...About $170.

Almost felt paralyzed watching it sink and realizing there was nothing I could do about it. FYI...I may have debated jumping in if it weren't 1. Illegal (drinking reservoir) 2. Water Temps weren't 55* and I had about 20#s of clothing on.

Weekend before last I lost my musky net. 32x36 hoop, was in the back of the boat with the guy I was floating the river with...when we got to the take-out, it wasn't in the boat. :shock:

And i've lost a couple pair of walmart special sunglasses. #-o

Lent a buddy a super nice ultralight setup one year while trout fishing and he left it on the bank. By the time I realized and got back it had walked away. Lost my perscription photogrey glasses one time off the side of a boat. This past summer I dropped two cell phones (different times) and my key ring into the Deleware River.

back in highschool me and 2 buddys capsized a paddle boat, lost my fishing pole, tackle box, and an almost full cooler of beer at a nieghborhood pond about 20' deep where we were. went to swim under to find it, and with my luck, there was tree at the botom of the pond rite where it fell, so we gave up. didnt feel like getting ate by a beaver. about 3 months later my buddy snagged my pole, but the cork handle, and the real was worthless by then. i guess our beer cooler exceeded the weight limit :roll:

Lost my Shimano Spirex RD reel with a cheapo rod one time. A buddy and I were going through the rapids in a 10' canoe he just had given to him. I spilled my beer and jerked to pick it up and over we went. Was able to retrieve the cooler and most everything else I just rememeber grabbing the side of the canoe and realizing I didnt have my pole in my hand anymore, however I did manage to grab my beer right b4 flipping over. :D

East Spirit Lake, MN - $150 Polarized Oakley's, going to fast on a friends bass boat and they flew off
Upper Cormorant Lake, MN lost the bail spring out of my reel while trying to do an onsite repair, fishing was done for the day.

Been pretty lucky besides those two things.

When I was in middle school, I had to wear a space maintainer (like a retainer) to correct an overbite that wasn't there.... once when out with my dad fishing, I "accidentally" stepped on a treble hook barefooted in the boat, and spit out the maintainer..

now looking back, I wish I would have never done that because my parents paid almost $500 for that crap.. if only I knew then what I know now - man, would things be different.

Other that that - which I lost on purpose- I almost lost my sunglasses with bassboy a while back.. put them on top of my hat, then took my hat off to wipe my forehead and off they went.. somehow I did some acrobatic moves and saved them.

Jim - my wedding ring is not a direct fit for my finger, and I'm scared to death it's going to go sliding off.. I really wouldn't care because I have lifetime replacement - and before anybody can ask why not just resize it, well - you can't resize stainless steel...

toolbox ,50.00 ,digital camra ,gps on the 4th of july 2 years ago last year they got my net out of the boat all at the boat ramp

Several rod n reels. One was when I took my daughter out fishing I threw out and my daughter hooked into a nice red that was about to pull her in (forgot to loosen the drag for her) and I layed down my $200+ rig. Needless to say, I looked around to see my pole go flying out of the boat. I had a mirrolure on another pole and after about 2 drags with it, I snagged it. A red was on the other end.

The worst one was I was fishing alone heading (around 26 MPH) to a spot at the mouth of a large river and my Yamaha has a "cruise control" knob and steering was locked while I was rigging my poles. I hit a rouge wave about 2'+ high and I was not wearing my kill switch. It knocked me to the middle seat. Once I regained my bearings I slowed the boat down and noticed my trolling motor teeter toting on the bow of my boat. I let off the throttle real fast and the motor went splash :shock: . The wires were not hooked to the battery because I always unhook them when I'm done fishing. :? :(

Several pairs of glasses, baits ( the latch wasn't latched on the tackle box), and a trailer tire that desided to come off the trailer on a bridge and I bet you can not guess where the tire went. Over the guard rail and into the Mississippi river.

I now always have my kill switch on.

Last Salmon season I reeled in a setup that wasn't producing to change it out. Unclipped the snap swivel, got the new rig ready to go. Ppicked up the rod and tossed the new set up over the side... Only to realize I never put the leader in the snap swivel. Magnum Dipsey Diver, Spin Doctor and trolling fly sank real fast. About $35.00 worth of stupidness.

The year before that when recovering my boat I pulled the down rigger out of its mount and set it on the back deck of my boat. Stowed all my gear and drove home. When I got there the down rigger was gone. $150.00 lost somewhere along the road. Back tracked but either it bounced into a ditch or someone picked it up because 1/2 hour later I couldn't find it.

$20 cheapo sunglasses
$15 worth of foreceps, retractor and a box of flies while fly fishing.

One time as a kid I got pretty dehydrated while in the boat with Dad... I think I had heat stroke, blacked out, fell, hit my head on the side of the boat. In the process, I busted my sunglasses, and lost them in the drink. Learned not to wear black and to drink LOTS of liquids on those hot humid summer days on the water.

Nothing mush in the past 10 years but prior to that:

- 4 brand new life vests that flew out while towing my prior boat (19" Sea nymph)

- 2 Rod and reel combos that my Brother In Law lost in the OC Maryland Channel under the Rt 50 bridge when he was pulling up to the gas pumps. They were in the starboard side rod holders and for some reason he felt the need to spin the boat as we approached the gas dock. They slowly bent and the dropped before anyone could grab them. Brand new Penn (USA Penn at that) 650 SS reels and matching rods went into the drink.

He felt so bad he bought use replacement rods and reels and almost died when he realized how much those outfits cost. He never got behind the helm again :D

I've done great except a $150 pair of Costa Del Mar's my dad gave me. They had this tendency to get loose with the temples. Well, put them on top of my hat while fishing, and when I looked down, they fell off! :x I tried to net them up, but the water was too muddy. I HATED to see them fall, but truth is, $150 or not, they wanted to fall off my face consistently! I now wear some nice Wally world $15 polarized glasses, and the temples have yet to come loose. Live and learn - get Oakley's if you're gonna spend the $$$!

2 stories here: one on topic and the other one just because they both happened to the same guy.
Our company started taking us on a weekend trout trip down the White River in AR back several years ago and the first year it included an overnight camping trip. We started down the river with our guides and the outfitters went ahead of us and set up a shore lunch then proceeded on down river to the camping area to get it ready for us. One of our guys was a guy who was a "big fisherman" from out in Utah. Brought these 10' casting rods and 90 lbs of lures and crap. He shows up the first morning all decked out in clothing that made him look like an Orvis model.
Anyway, we stop for lunch and he piles his plate with fried chicken, baked beans, slaw, corn, potato salad, the works. He sits down in one of the camp chairs and one leg of it was on a soft spot of the island so it sunk a good 4 inches which threw him off balance and he dumped the whole plate of food right on his chest. He threw his cup of tea up in the air which of course beaned him on the head when it came down. He was covered and drenched.
Later in the day he and his guide float up to and past us and I'm watching him cast with that monstrous rod. He looks like he's trying to set a new world record long distance cast the way he's heaving that thing. As they pass us he casts again and I catch sight of something out of the corner of my eye. When he rared back for that cast, he somehow hooked one of the guides rods and flung it out with his lure. The guide was screaming at him, he was trying to reel it back in but it was gone. Two of the funniest scenes I have seen in my life and they both happened the same day. That whole trip was a howling good time.

Latest posts