Superstitious While Fishing...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brine

Reaction score
Flounderhead got me to thinking...

During some of our tournaments, I've seen a few from other anglers....My favorite is when someone is eating a banana on the boat :lol:

One of mine after getting skunked was 'No more Coke Zero allowed in the boat". I had drank about 3 of them that day for the first time on the boat. Water hydrates me better anyway. :wink:

I HAVE to have moutain dew with me on board.. each time I've been skunked this year, I didn't have the Dew with me... NEVER AGAIN - whether I'm fishing alone or with someone else - you can ask bassboy, I always have atleast 1 dew within reach

Another one of ours....NEVER fill the livewell until you've caught keeper #1.

Brine said:
Another one of ours....NEVER fill the livewell until you've caught keeper #1.

I'm the exact opposite - I fill mine right at my first fishing spot - that gives me the confidence that I AM going to catch something to put in there... if I don't fill it, there's a little spot in the back of my mind that says you're not going to catch anything, you don't even have water in the boat for him so you can get right back to fishing

I don't smoke, but always have a pack in the boat. I quit a while back, but seems like every time i'm not catching anything I can throw the line in, light a cigarette, and then a fish bites cuz i'm doing something else. Very strange I know.

It was passed down to me from my wife's great grandma who is 101 and still fishes and lives by herself. She doesn't actually do it anymore, but told us about it one day and we tried it and it worked.

Loggerhead Mike said:
if the fish arnt doin anything, i put a big ole dip in. works wonders

I'm agreeing with Loggerhead on this one. No dip, No fish.

All the guys I fish with make me get a poptart and a Dew on the way to the ramp. We drove 2 1/2 hours too Venice,LA, stopped at a nice place to eat before daylight, and I didn't get my poptart (had a Dew) resulting in just about a fishless day. Try a poptart with your Dews, It seems to work. :D It doesn't seem to work unless you have both.

If I guess the correct key to open the gate to my private pond on the first guess, few fish will be caught. Second try and the fishing will be good.

I have lots and lots

1. No bananas - or anything with banana in it;

2. If i caught fish the day (or trip before) I follow the same routine - stop at the same places. if not, I start a new routine;

3. To change the luck (and pay the fish Gods0 throw any pocket change you have into the drink;

4. Always get Captain Todd's permission to fish 'B" buoy off of Indian River Inlet, De;

5. Fried Chicken is a must when flounder fishing - if teh bite stops eat a piece of chicken and throw the bones in;

6. Never wear a white shirt when FW fishing;

7. Suntan lotion and touching the line or hook or anything that the fish will see is a huge no-no;

8. Never stop at Chicken Man before a trip (see #2);

9. It you find a lure - use it right away;

10. Never sit in the fighting chair or but the fighting belt on before you have a fish

The only thing that I am superstitious about is fishing. It never fails for me that if I go fishing when my wife is 100% happy with me (meaning there is no gripes about me going that day) the fishing isnt worth a crap. But when she is mad about me going, lots and lots of fish. I wouldnt recomend this method for many people though. [-X So I save up for two or three of my week trips to make her mad. :D

darb79 said:
The only thing that I am superstitious about is fishing. It never fails for me that if I go fishing when my wife is 100% happy with me (meaning there is no gripes about me going that day) the fishing isnt worth a crap. But when she is mad about me going, lots and lots of fish. I wouldnt recomend this method for many people though. [-X So I save up for two or three of my week trips to make her mad. :D

amen brother angry wife= many fish!

the Banana thing is real!!!!! I almost killed a guy that placed a banana on my front deck while he was launching his boat he took it off, placed it in his oat and got the skunk...

I found that if im not planning on keep fish i cut the barb off the hook. for some reason i catch a lot more fish that way, doesnt really make sense but hey it works :)

Jim said:
Never catch a fish on the first cast or your day is toast. :D

Captain Ahab said:
3. To change the luck (and pay the fish Gods0 throw any pocket change you have into the drink
These are two of the only ones I have, but I'll only throw Va quarters, this superstition started while stripper fishing with some guys from md who kept throwing md quarters in, it was 6 of us 3 from va and 3 from md, I guess we had more quarters because us virginia boys come out on top that day

Also a new one from last year was wearing a tin boats t shirt, dont know why but I always did better when I had one on

How about these gems:

1) If you pass a pasture and the cows are all lying down, a very slow/no fish day.

2) If you see a Rabbit on the way to the lake, same results as #1.

3) Red Bird = good day of fishing. The more red birds spotted, the better the day.

Latest posts