Would a site WIKI be possible?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwater

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Incredible and rather addictive site - absolutely essential for anyone undertaking a new build, and what a great bunch of folks! Many heartfelt thanks for providing the service.

Does the site server support coding for a WIKI? Have you guys considered this? The reason I ask is that while researching for my upcoming build, I found myself copying and pasting tons of valuable information into a single document. As this document grew, I began dividing the information into sub categories and I soon realized this condensed information might be valuable to others as well.

For example, here's a draft excerpt from the category Hull Repair, all extracted from the Boat Mods forum:

Hull Cracks and Leak Repairs

What NOT to use:
bassboy1 wrote:
Bondo and fiberglass are out. I have pulled both from some past boat projects, and neither did much to fix the leak, and then made the small leak into a big ugly mess. Fiberglass and aluminum don't expand and contract at the same rate, so problems will be had there. Bondo doesn't like the marine environment, and thereby doesn't work.

Hot Welds
Spanky 543 wrote:
To fix your crack you need to weld it...but wait I’m not talking about mig or arch welding. It’s more like braising or soldering. I have a boat similar to yours. It’s a 1948 Arkansas Traveler. It had 3 cracks and holes at the transom corner. I used a product called Alumiweld. These are rods that you use like solder. Here is the website:

https://www.alumiweld.com/

There also is a different product called Durafix here is there website:

https://www.durafix.com/

I used Alumiweld because I was able to buy it at the local hardware store Harbor Freight Tools. You have to use the MAPP gas or hotter when using a torch to heat the aluminum. I tried for almost 2 weekends using just propane and it never worked. When I tried MAPP gas (the yellow bottle) it worked like a charm. JB Weld works well but it can crack sometimes

Cold welds (epoxy type products):
Jbweld and Waterweld are cold welds; i.e. Applied without heat. Here's the site:

https://www.jbweld.net/products/index.php

Although I haven't used it, Waterweld seems to be a good product to keep in your boat. According the the site, you can apply it to unprepared surfaces, even if it's under water. Good for emergency leaks.

Tips
Cracks:
fishingbuds wrote:
before repair drill a 1/16 to 1/8 hole at both ends of the crack so it won't split any further.

Holes under the waterline, such as old transducer mounting holes:
crazyeddie wrote:
...you could always stuff a machine screw through the hole and tighten a nut on it.
and bassboy 1 replied:
In my opinion, that is your best bet. Think about it, that is what your transducer has now. What difference would it make as far as whether or not a transducer is attached. Patch welding small holes in thin aluminum does not always yield the best results.

Obviously all of this information is contained within the forums and found easily by searching. But searching takes a lot of time and unless you're thorough, something might be missed. Occasional misinformation, although well intended, creeps in on any site so all techniques and recommendations should be researched in depth before adding to the WIKI or article.

I'll continue this document for myself, and if you think it would be worth posting (maybe as an article if a WIKI format isn't feasible) let me know. Like a boat mod, it would never really be finished - nor should it be - which is why a WIKI format, updateable and editable by registered members and/or administrators, would be a nice feature to have.

If this has been discussed before, my apologies - just send me to my room.

Fred

Figures. The first word under what NOT to do is my name..... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, basically, what you are saying, is that after a post is made, somebody compiles all the "good" information into one page? So, somebody basically spends the time to make a page on how to thread a piece of aluminum, so instead of somebody typing "threading aluminum," in the search feature, and coming up with every page that uses both the words "threading" and "aluminum," it comes up with the new page, with a how to article of threading aluminum? Is that how it works?

Seems like a lot of work for somebody to keep compiling these into that format, but then again, it could just be that my scatterbrained self cannot comprehend such organization....

Jim has started allowing members to write articles on the front page, which, in my opinion, once it really gets going, will have a pretty good compilation of various common things found in this sort of boat work. Plus, one feature I like about the "forum" type of information sharing, is that even though a thread is started on threading aluminum in 2007, and everything is covered, then say in 2009, a great new type of tapping oil is found by a forum regular, that far exceeds that of any mentioned in the '07 thread. Now, in 2010, a new member comes on, and asks about threading aluminum, and if he is directed to a page made in '07, he is shown a mediocre tapping oil, and keeps breaking taps, or isn't able to get as clean a thread as if he starts a thread, and is shown this revolutionary tapping oil. Allows things to stay modern, as new ideas are found, introduced, and tested.

Just my mere 20 cents worth (inflation - wonder why?). Keep in mind, I am not 100% sure I understand the WIKI idea, but that is my opinion.

Waterwings said:
Wiki is actually an open source database software, more or less. Wikipedia is simply the largest database using this software. It can be great as long as the situation calls for it. It can also fail and not be worth the time.

One thing I would suggest, if Jim is seriously looking into it, is to make sure that there is enough information here to put into a database form. Not saying that there isn't already enough info here, because there is, but you need to look at the information at hand, and make sure it would be worth it over a Thread stuck to the top of its forum.

For instance, things that are uniform or consistent are good for a database. A good example of this is wiring a trolling motor. There are only a handful of ways this could be done practically. However, things like adding a deck to a boat, making a livewell, or anything else that can vary and fluctuate from boat to boat, and on a case by case basis would not be good in a database.

The beauty and downfall of a Wiki, is that anyone can add to it. It is good because it is a good way to make ideas and articles easily accessible, but if its not active, it will get stale and dry up, so to speak. Also, it does need to be moderated somewhat, to keep the bad information out since anyone can publish an article to it.

(end speech)

Good morning everyone!

On just about all boards, you’ll see the same questions posed over and over. It's human nature to ask and view the answer rather than spend hours researching. And the advice usually evolves from a direct answer to pointing the user to read an article or thread that is known to contain the correct answer at the present time.

Whether it’s articles, sticky threads, FAQs or a WIKI, I feel that an effort to place categorized information in a central location would greatly benefit anyone launching - or stuck in the middle of - a new project. Regardless of the format, updates would be critical.

If you want to see an example of a similar board’s WIKI, along with a brief overview of how it works, check this site:

https://boatdesign.net/wiki/Main_Page

At the bottom of their WIKI page is a link that takes you to the discussion when the idea was first hatched (I’m not Seaspark BTW :mrgreen: ).

I use wiki for my work and my client, so I am familiar with it and do see a benefit from it. I also somewhat agree with comment above where I would hate to see it go stale. I am looking at the same software wikipedia uses. Its free and opensource. If my Web guy can integrate our Forum logins with the wiki login and there will be no performance issues with the forum then I don't think it will be a problem. Stay tuned! :D

And thanks for the idea! :beer:

I looked into it and we will go forward with this once we move the site to it's own dedicated server. We are at the growing stage right now and additional load will cause performance of the site to decrease. The issue is a dedicated server will cost anywhere from $150 to $200 per month. #-o We are just not there yet for that kind of move.

Knock on wood the site is running pretty way above my expectations.