Illinois gun owners are getting screwed BIG time

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
How about needing 1 MILLION dollars liability insurance if you own a gun???

HB0687

96th General Assembly
House Sponsors
Rep. Kenneth Dunkin

Last Action
Date Chamber Action
2/6/2009 House Referred to Rules Committee

Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance
430 ILCS 65/4.5 new
430 ILCS 65/8 from Ch. 38, par. 83-8

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that any person who owns a firearm in this State shall maintain a policy of liability insurance in the amount of at least $1,000,000 specifically covering any damages resulting from negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person. Provides that a person shall be deemed the owner of a firearm after the firearm is lost or stolen until such loss or theft is reported to the police department or sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the owner resides. Provides that the Department of State Police shall revoke and seize a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued under this Act if the Department finds that the person to whom such card was issued possesses or acquires a firearm and does not submit evidence to the Department of State Police that he or she has been issued in his or her name a liability insurance policy in the amount of at least $1,000,000 specifically covering any damages resulting from negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person. Effective January 1, 2010.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=687&GAID=10&SessionID=76&LegID=41158

wow.....

i guess thats the governments "stimulus" to the insurance agencys??

its getting ridiculious. I dont think any politions have grown up in the "real" world. but hey, you cant get money from the crooks breaking the laws, so they turn to the hard working man

move on down to nc, and bring your guns. we love to shoot! :mrgreen:

i think it is a great law.... people who get shot by some drunkin a-hole will now be able to make them pay...

I believe that I would be on the horn voicing my displeasure and asking my state reps to vote down that piece of garbage when it comes up.

Everyone may as well get ready because we now have the most anti gun political machine in the history of the US in place. You can expect crap like this from all levels, I am afraid.

That is ridiculous. Close to every home in ND has a gun it, that wouldn't go over well up here.

WOW,

I'm anti-gun but it seems to me that the legally owned guns aren't the problem.

redbug said:
i think it is a great law.... people who get shot by some drunkin a-hole will now be able to make them pay...

Crooks and criminals will be exempt from this law because they don't actually own the gun, they stole it. They will get off with a slap on the wrist while the gun owner will probably be left with nothing because he was robbed of the gun.

i'm not talking about the crook. i'm talking about the fool that leaves the gun around SO his kid can play with it and shoot his friend. You read about this all the time if it happens once it is to often. insurance is cheap i would have no problem having it to own a gun

Where is the requirement to have $1M liability for any person who owns a dog that specifically covers any damages resulting from negligent or willful acts involving the dog while it is owned by such person. Of substitute anything for gun and see where this could go. It probably won't go that way because this is a backdoor way to control guns without violating our 2nd amendment head on. Next comes the 500% tax on guns and ammo and the micro laser etched ammo that costs 10 times as much as it does now.

redbug said:
i'm not talking about the crook. i'm talking about the fool that leaves the gun around SO his kid can play with it and shoot his friend. You read about this all the time if it happens once it is to often. insurance is cheap i would have no problem having it to own a gun

Yeah, because being able to cash in a million dollar insurance policy is so much better than having your child alive.

No, that does not happen "all the time". How many kids were killed in vehicle collisions today and how many were killed by a friend who's "fool" parent left a gun around?

What's the liability limit on your vehicle insurance?

I don't think there is a room in my house where I cannot grab a gun in an instant in. I grew up in a house with many guns and never shot anyone. I never showed my friends my dads guns. I knew where they were, but knew better not to mess with them. Maybe parents need liability insurance when raising stupid kids. There is not an easy answer to the many problems in the nation today, but taking away guns of citizens is not the answer. I think I would also insure all the knives and other sharp objects in my house, also maybe the cement walkway, because you never know when someone will take a spill and skin their knee.

It was on the news here in pa within the last few weeks that a child shot himself with the parents gun. so it does happen I a not in favor of taking anyone's gun away. I just don't see having insurance as a bad thing.
As for my vehicle insurance I carry 500k on all my vehicles including my boat.

I also have read that the new way to control guns will be to tax the ammo to make it impossible to buy. I think that sucks also..

Like I said I don't want to take anyone's gun away or stop responsible people from buying more
Wayne

While at the barbershop after work today, they were talking about something that's been going on here since the recent ice storm (not sure what that has to do with it). People in rural areas are getting phone calls and when they answer someone immediately asks them if they're deer hunters, and I guess the person receiving the call is replying yes or no without thinking. Apparently some people who replied yes are being robbed while they're at work. Their guns are the only thing being stolen. Haven't seen or heard anything on the news about it, but wouldn't put it pass some low life to do that.

As long as the insurance would be for all guns in the home and not indivudually, I don't see a problem with it. All in all it is just another bs regulation. Ammo is already getting pricey and only going to get worse, but once again what criminal actually buys anything :roll:

Waterwings said:
While at the barbershop after work today, they were talking about something that's been going on here since the recent ice storm (not sure what that has to do with it). People in rural areas are getting phone calls and when they answer someone immediately asks them if they're deer hunters, and I guess the person receiving the call is replying yes or no without thinking. Apparently some people who replied yes are being robbed while they're at work. Their guns are the only thing being stolen. Haven't seen or heard anything on the news about it, but wouldn't put it pass some low life to do that.
someone broke into my house one day and took my dads guns my brothers guns and my guns but they only left the muzzleloaders so it had to be someone that new a little bit about guns to not take themuzzleloaders and this year someone broke into my house and stole my double barrel and all my brothers guns but they only took the ones from my moms room and left the good ones in the gun cabinet it had to be someone my brother or sister knows for them not to take the expensive 1s because we would of new they were gone beacause we didnt no they were gone till hunting season

Waterwings said:

Probably PETA. Those idiots think that they can break any law they want as long as it saves an animal. Stupid.

redbug said:

Exactly what is wrong with you? This has the bad oder of politicians finding a loophole to the Constitution to take firearms from the hands of civilians. Don't you realize, that once the government accomplishes this dream, then they have total control. This may sound lame at first but think about it. Times as they are, the people are getting more and more fed up with how the country is being run. What would 1776 have been if England could have removed all firearms from non military hands? Well, we would be flying a different flag and drinking stupid tea all the time.

Latest posts