Boaters World files Bankruptcy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Ritz Camera Centers Inc., the largest camera-store chain in the U.S., filed for bankruptcy protection, blaming the deepening U.S. recession and the consumer transition to digital photography.

Boater’s World

Ritz officials sought to diversify their business by launching Boater’s World, a boating-and-fishing supply retailer, in 1987. The stores are located from Maine to Florida and also in Texas, California, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Nevada, according to the unit’s Web site. The rise in fuel prices helped lead to a “sharp” drop in sales at the unit’s stores, Weinsweig said in the filing.

Ritz in 2001 acquired Wolf Camera, the second-largest U.S. camera-store chain with 500 locations in 20 states, for about $85 million. Wolf filed a liquidating Chapter 11 plan that paid the secured bank lender about 50 cents on the dollar, while unsecured creditors received nothing for their $100 million in claims.

Ritz’s 30 largest unsecured creditors without collateral backing their claims are owed about $65.6 million, court papers show. The two biggest unsecured creditors are Nikon Inc., owed $26.6 million, and Canon USA Inc., owed $13.7 million. Ritz owes another $8.4 million to Fuji Photo Film USA Inc., whose affiliate invested about $197 million in Ritz between 1996 and 2001, according to court papers.

Benjamin Ritz opened his first portrait studio in 1918 on the boardwalk in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Twenty years later, Benjamin’s younger brother, Edward, opened their first photo processing lab in Washington and later expanded to Baltimore. The company’s wider expansion began in 1969 under Edward’s son, David.

The case is Ritz Camera Centers Inc., 09-10617, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware (Wilmington).

I like hearing about this as much as I like seeing AIGs stock plummet..

I wish I had an answer for everything that's about to take place, but all I can do is pray to keep my sanity. It's hard to work when you don't even know what you are facing with your own company. Seems we hear about everything the same time everyone outside of AIG hears about it.

A lot of gloomy faces are walking around my building - a few people who have been there over 30 years have lost a lot of their retirement with the falling stock price.

don't worry, with the great service and low prices of BPS.... wait a min.... I guess we should worry. #-o . BPS, the place I love and hate....

baptistpreach said:
don't worry, with the great service and low prices of BPS.... wait a min.... I guess we should worry. #-o . BPS, the place I love and hate....

It sure doesn't look like the one in Atlanta will go out of business anytime soon. I work about 2 miles from it and I am always amazed at how many cars are parked in the lot each day. Seems I'm not the only one who likes to spend his lunch break there. :roll: