Roofing Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I need a new roof this year. :(

After the roofers come and do there thing, is it easy for me to add those gutter protector things that they sell at Home Depot/Lowes? I think the roofers want 1k just to do that. [-X

Jim said:
I need a new roof this year. :(

After the roofers come and do there thing, is it easy for me to add those gutter protector things that they sell at Home Depot/Lowes? I think the roofers want 1k just to do that. [-X

Jim, what is a "gutter protector thing" ?????

There are several kinds of gutter guards as I'm sure you are aware of. All have advantages and disavantages. There are ones that have a grate and a screen. These keep small things like shingle gravel out of the gutter but will themselves plug up. There are those that just have a small grate appearance and will allow small items to fall through. These don't plug up as much but you end up with a gutter full of small debris. Also if you have Maple trees they will allow th espinners to slip into the opening and stand up and wave at you with each breeze. My sister has those on her house and the squirrels (Rissin' Frickin' Tree Rats) pryed up one end and pulled themselves though the gutter eating the seed part of the spinners. Then the chewed into her house. Both are available in like 3-4 foot sections and are very easy for a homeowner to install and remove to clean the gutter. One additional thing is they have a tendancy to ice over in the winter.

I got tired if climbing the ladder on cold rainy days and figured I wasn't going to like it any better when I got older
so I bit the bullet and had the gutter helmet installed they come with a lifetime warranty and have worked well
for the last 5 years. I rinse the edge off with a pressure washer twice a year.
I have an underground drainage system that takes my gutter water away for the house and it runs fine son nothing is getting down
to block it up

Wayne

i did construction for a number of years and installed a few miles of that stuff, get a 1/4" nut driver bit for your drill and the self tapping screws and you could have all that done in a couple hours easy. slides under shingles easy, occasionally you'll run into a nail thats too close to drip edge but you just notch it out.

Like other posters have said. Easy to install, yes. Pain in the butt, yes. The best in my opinion is the K guard. https://www.kguard.com/
I'm sure it's pretty expensive, but price vs labor on conventional would probably even out in the long run.

Those caps like the Kguard, and Gutterguard brand are the only way to go, second to ripping the gutters down, like we did (and we never installed them on the house we built). The stupid mesh screens that are cheap at Lowes and Home Depot are about worthless, and they really clog up downspouts.

I laid black corragated pipe(not preforated) in my cousins gutters and it worked like a champ.The water would cling to the pipe and wash debris off of it as the water ran around and down into the gutter.I think he bought 3 inch corragated pipe.

Latest posts