Back to work!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darb79

Reaction score
I just got the phone call that I get to go back to work on the 1st of April! Well its hard to call it work. Here are some shots of the kokanee wier that I sat on last year from the middle of August until the end of November. I was the weekend relief because I was in school all week. So, I was paid to go camp all weekend in a trailer that is supplied and the food to go with it. I think the best part of it was the support that the sportsmen in the area gave to the projet. We stopped the fish from running upstream to spawn because there were too many in the resevoir. I sorted through about 50,000 kokanee myself to turn upriver to spawn. This same project will start again in August.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 246
Glad to hear that you are getting back to work i would love to have a job like that

good luck

Wayne

Kokanee are a landlock salmon that are very similar to the sockeye salmon. They have the same looks (red with green head). Basicly the reservoir is their ocean and they run up river to spawn just like a salmon does.

that's really cool! Do you know approximately how many spawners you get per run?

These fish spawn at three years old. We did a trawl (big fishing boat using nets at diferent depths) before the run to get a population estimate. The number that was came up with was around 550,000 total population in the resevoir. During the peak of the run we thought that there were at least that stacked up behind the wier. For 2 weeks during the peak the river was solid red with fish from the wier to two or three hundred yards downriver. They pushed all night long against the pickets (electrical conduit) that span the river. You would be suprised how much noise these fish make. I didnt sleep at all during the peak of the run.

Latest posts