College vs. Tech School (long)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
Little background here, before I get to my main question. I am almost 16 (shy of less than 2 weeks), and a sophomore in high school. I have always been in the honors classes, and took an AP US history class this year (first year AP classes are offered). I am on the College Prep curriculum, and my schedule has me set for the DUAL (not exactly sure what that is - basically shows that I took foreign languages, and certain specific career/tech classes) seal on my Diploma. While I don't make the absolute highest grades in the class, I attribute that to actually having common sense, and not merely book smarts, like those in the top percentages. :lol: But, don't get me wrong, my grades are not exactly bad. We are talking mostly low to mid As, with a couple Bs thrown in every now and then. My elective classes always end up with real high As, to perfect scores.

And, while I don't have the longest list of extracurricular activities, I will be an Eagle Scout (currently working on my Eagle Project, and just about the only thing that will stop me from obtaining Eagle is my own death, in which case questions about my future would be a moot point :shock: ), and am on the High School Republican Club, as well as Varsity Academic Team (Not sure how I ended up in that, as I am not exactly the sharpest tack in the box :D ). Was in the band from 6th until earlier this year (10th grade), when all the drama and other crap going on, and not much actual banding drove me away.

Basically, I am not top of the class perfect honor student, but I am far enough up the chain that most tend to consider it a "waste" for someone like me to choose a different option than college. That is my issue.

I finally decided where it is I want to go in life. I have always known that it would be something to do with my hands, just due to my personality. A desk job absolutely would not work for me. I finally decided that I would like to be a metalworker. Not so much a guy that creates one thing over and over on an assembly line, but one who works in a smaller fab shop. Ultimately, I would like to be a builder of custom aluminum boats, under 35 feet or so. They are especially popular in Australia, and the Pacific Northwest, and not yet all that popular in the Southeast. However, to me location (Southeast - Texas to NC) is more important that what exactly I am creating. I spend a lot of time at my local metals supplier (basically scrapyard, steel materials supplier, and custom fabrication shop all in one sprawling juncture), where I purchase all of my new and recycled material. I always loathe the guys in the fabrication/steel materials section, and would definitely love to work in something like that. Heck, I would do it for free if I had to.

All that being said, now that I know what I want to do in life, I need to look at how to get there. Seems to me, the best option would be to finish high school, and enroll in a technical school, and obtain certifications in welding, and other operations related to metal fabrication. However, my parents refuse to accept anything other than college. I try to bring it up, and it "is not up for discussion." My dad didn't not go to college, instead went directly into the automotive field, and was an ASE certified tech (no tech school or anything) for a long while, and since then, managed a reputable import shop. My mom graduated from Auburn, and before getting married, owned a small business. Since, she has been a stay at home mom, until recently, where she became a substitute teacher, as that is about the only thing she can do, since there are 4 kids (me being the oldest), and she needs something without the daily commitment, so she can still deal with sick kids and such. I keep getting the response of we don't want you to not have opportunities. What? It isn't like I want to drop out of High School - I merely wish to follow an education path that suites the career I want.

I forgot to mention. I am virtually sick of school. Especially this year, having 4 honors classes, and an AP class (just academics) has just about killed me. The actual work isn't what is killing me, and it isn't grade threatening, but I am just about sick of classwork, and the idea of more schooling, that really has little, if any effect on my desired career path does not make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Am I being unjust here, or would y'all consider it a wise decision to follow the technical college route, or enroll in a University style college, only to then have to take tech school classes after the fact to get to where I want to be.

The armed forces, particularly Navy and Coast Guard are looking like viable options as well (mom is threatening to physically restrain me from EVER joining, but I understand that is normal), but I am not yet sure if that is the route I wish to take. I have every bit of certainty that I would be fully capable of the military, but I doubt I will know until closer to the time as to whether that is the best option or not. I am not really asking anything here, as even if I did go this route, I still have the above issue (college or military training).

Thanks for any pointers y'all can give me.

bassboy1

I went the tech school route for welding. passed every cert test they could give at the school. I passed the test to be an instructor at the school. that is what I wanted to do.
I came out of school at a time when a lot of manufacturing jobs were going away so instead of a company hiring a fresh behind the ears kid the companies would take the welder with 15 years exp that was just laid off.
I wound up going from job to job until I got lucky and was hired by the power company.
the one thing I learned at my current job is the cert tests I paid extra for at school wouldn't help in the real world each employer has their own tests you will need to pass.
good luck with what ever you choose

Wayne

Man, I'll be honest with ya.. unless you get a "real" degree from a 4 year college.. it's going to be hard to have anything to rely on. And I'm only speaking from a lot of my friends back home who went to a technical college and now most of them don't have jobs. One school that some of them went to specialized in diesel engines, and they are making pretty good money.

But as far as what you are wanting to do - you really need to think about it. And I'm not preaching to you, but this is more or less coming from someone who cares about you and wants you to succeed. I know you will succeed at anything you do because for a guy your age, you really do have a lot of common sense and knowledge.

I'm not at all encouraging you to go the military route - but, it is free training, and you get paid to go to school. I would really consider looking at all of your options and what advantages they will have. For example, you could go to a 4 year college, get the piece of paper everyone is demanding you have for a good job, and go into something like mechanical or electrical engineering just to have something to fall back on (and to keep your parents happy, who's footing the bill??) Then I would go to a tech school or better yet, a private welding school and specialize in precision metal working where you will learn things like blueprint reading, shop mathematics, mechanical drawing, physics, chemistry, and metallurgy. But I can almost guarantee you that the business you apply to would take a 4 year bachelors degree over a technical college associates degree, and if you had both degrees to your name that would definitely put you ahead of the rest... well, I know you say money doesn't matter to you - but it matters to the world and you can't survive without it. I know school sucks, been there done that, but I've also got 2 bachelor degrees and 3 associates degrees as well as a few minors... and believe me, that will put you on top of the competition. I got 3 associates degrees through military training, as well as one of the bachelor degrees which had enough curriculum to turn into an electrical engineering degree.

You gotta start out somewhere, and on your own in my opinion is not the way to start off unless you know a lot of people who have a lot of money to fund your designs. I would encourage you to start off small, and come out strong.. work your way to the top with what you want to do, but network and meet people, and prove yourself worthy of what you can do. Basically, make a name for yourself before you go out on your own - and I know you will have no problem doing this.

If this makes no sense, then disregard it... and yea, I work behind a desk all day, but the companies that I do business with employ people doing the jobs you are wanting to do... and it's not an easy life. I get to visit these places all the time and I get to talk to the guys working there, so I'm not blowing smoke or trying to deter you from what you want to do. But you've still got another year, maybe 2 to get it all together and really think hard about it. Try not to think of just yourself when you make these decisions, think about a possible family and what it will take to support them in the future.

If you get nothing from this, get just one thing - You can do achieve anything you put your mind to, but if you fall... well a cushion is always easier to fall on than a concrete floor.

I am a member of many different forums and on those forums there are lots of young kids just like you that are always confused about what they want. I am a high school teacher and I am currently teaching 9th graders and some 10th graders. I am of the opinion that you don't really know what you want to do. I know that you think that you know what you want to do. But, 16, you have a long time ahead of you. I think that you need to stay on the college prep track. You will get more out of going to college that just an education. The best years of life were college. I know that college might not be what you want to do now, but it is going to be worth it. There was a time when all you needed was an 8th grade education to make it, but now it is a 4 year college degree. Don't give up on school, and don't take so many hard classes. You only need to take 5 core classes a year, take some fun electives.

One other thing if you do go the military route be sure to talk to someone in the service (not a recruiter ) first my wife help a few guys get the jobs that they wanted by being prepared with the correct questions the recruiter will promise the world but not deliver unless it is in writing

something else... I took college prep and AP in high school as well.. when I got to college, it was a breeze. My high school classes were harder than college - but, it could have just been the teachers I had in high school.. there were only 500 kids in my high school, and barely 100 in my grade.. not sure how bit cartersville is, but I'm sure it's huge like most atl schools

well, I can only give my own experiance. at 15 I was roofing durring the summer and kinda liked it, so carpentry is what I wanted to do, took all the classes I could but, by 17 it just changed for me, I no longer liked it or was intrested in doing it, I quickly went into diesel mechanics, my first job at 20 was a dream, after 9 weeks I realized I had made a mistake for myself. once again the passion just left, can't explain why-it just did.

Now I'm 37, I have been a production manager for 16 years now-this was a total accident how I got into it but, I did some courses on the way and have a good history built up for me if ever needed. Life is OK to change, I know some guys that have been everything it seems, and thats OK, it can round you out. Don't be afraid of it, heck sometimes it opens other better doors.

I understand now they wasn't bad choices, it was growth, so I don't think I would be the kind of person that could have done the samething for a liven all my life.

You'll have those that will tell you if you trained and put time in this career choice you have to stick it out, thats fine advice and understandable. BUT will you stay happy? I'm sure you know some that seem to have it all, on the inside they could be yelling at themselves for it.

I guess picken a family line of work is differant, say a doctor or lawyer. I don't know?

I know a happy policeman and an unhappy one. What would be wrong if the unhappy one just changed up and did something else? Maybe family won't understand, but whose the one unhappy?

I have only one "what if regret" and that is not going into military. Talked about it when I was younger but never did, I will always wonder about it. Navy would have been the one I wanted to try.

Try to pray about it if your a prayen Man BB1

well I'm done now :D

It's good that you are planning ahead. College was never anything that I planned on or even wanted to do. I started in the building trades pouring concrete and graduated to carpenter. I spent the last five years as a framing contractor living the high life. Then the housing market took the hit. I had no degree or any other training to jump jobs and make a decent living. I had been out of high school for 10 years before I thought it would be a good idea to go to school. Im still not too keen on higher education, its a bunch of hoops and loops that the trained monkeys have to jump through. But I am going after a degree that I can enjoy getting and love my work for the future. Whatever you decide to do make sure that you can find some enjoyment in it. My dad hated his job, and it showed through to his personality. I didnt want that for my family. So, find enjoyment in whatever you do, work hard, and it will show in your work and you will go far.

Here's a few observations from a guy who's bumped around career wise over the last 10 odd years. I've had both blue collar jobs and office jobs ranging from being a sheet metal worker to my current job as a software engineer. I was never one of those people who had a singular focus in life. Maybe you are, it sounds like you definitely have a good idea of what would like to end up doing which is great.

My dad was a sheetmetal worker his whole life and I know that he never wanted me to follow in his foot steps just because he wanted me to have more in life and not have work so hard to get it. Working jobs like that take a tole on your body over the years, lifting heavy stuff, breathing in fumes from welding, etc aren't the best for you. If your folks are like mine they just want to see you do better than they did in life and might feel like you are selling yourself short by not going to college.

That being said, it's your life and you have to be happy with the decisions you make. Jobs that require more education generally pay better but that not always the case and life isn't all about money. Obviously money is important but you have to do something that you draw some sort of satisfaction from. People spend a major part of their life working and if you don't get any type of satisfaction from what you're doing all the money in the world won't make you happy.

Education is one the best investment you can make in life - period. It's just like having another tool in your tool box. It opens doors for opportunities that might not be available to you other wise. Just remember getting a college degree only gets harder the older you get.

You have plenty of time so I would really take an in-depth look at all your options. This is going to be the one time in life where you can go any direction you want so make the best of it. The worst lies you can tell in life are the ones you tell yourself. Listen to yourself and trust your instincts, as I think you already do and you'll be ahead of the game. I'll get off the soap box now and leave you with this parting thought.

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." -Michelangelo

I am probably the worse person on the forum to comment on this thread, BUT. I was the exact opposite of you. I was a smart kid, and had good grades, but i hated school, and authority. So i decided to drop out. My father is a pastor, and i had a very strict up-bringing, but i always sneaked around on them, and i made A LOT of bad choices. Lets just say not too long after i dropped out i hit rock bottom. Drugs, and addiction overtook my life. I had to make a choice and went to rehab. There i got my GED. Then i found my self again. Renewed my trust in Christ Jesus, and through him worked everything out.

That was just a little background and has nothing to do with your situation. LoL

Now i am 21 going on 22. Own my house, i am married, and have a 7 month old son. I never went to college, just worked my way up in factory jobs. With lots of prayer, i recived a great job with a very reputable tire company (I test the rubber) I work with a lot of people that have degrees and have spent a lot of their life improving their degrees. They make the same money i do. IMO life beyond childhood is the great equalizer. It doesnt matter what you did just what youi are doing now. I can tell you are not the average 16 year old, much like i am not the average 21 year old. I am much more mature than anyone i work with. I know that money, and lust are not the things i want in my life. Instead happiness and a purpose driven life.

My advice is to do what makes YOU happy. I know someone made a comment about your parents footing the bill for school, but they wont be living your life after you leave home. I hope they would understand that. You have to make the right choice for you. I was forced to grow up quick, it is a situation i put myself in, and i am very thankful for it as well. I look around at the people my age and thank GOD that i got all my foolishness out at an early age. Now i can focus on my Lord, and family. So if a University is not for you, dont feel pressured to go. The military might not be a bad thing, and working as a fabricator will most likely be a struggle. You have to weigh every option and come up with the one that is best for your future.

I joined the Navy at 26. From 17 when I graduated high school to 26 I did a lot of jumping around from job to job. The husband of one of my co-workers was a Navy recruiter and he stopped by the bar to pick up his wife. We had short conversation about military in general and several weeks later I went to see him in his office. 20 years later I had to look for another job as I retired from the Navy. My biggest regret was not joining earlier. Maybe like when I was 20 or so but not right out of high school because as I look back I now know I was too immature to have made a career out of the military. As far as which branch of the military... that would really be up to you. The Navy has some of the best schools (IMHO) and advancement (at least to E-6) is better (for most ratings). That's just my 2 cents worth. You still have time though and you're still young. Enjoy life and go fishin'.

It you are serious about joining the armed services do it by way of an academy 9West Point, Annapolis, AF Academy) or at least through a ROTC program. Not only will you get a lot more pay immediately, you can also qualify for scholarships and such. my nephew is attending Temple University and is look at a free ride (plus stipends) as a result of the AFROTC

in the next 2 years your career and school will be YOUR decision and your parents may relize that, may not. but you will be 18 and sounds like you'll have a full ride to anywhere you want to go. plus its not a life long commitment, if you dont like your career you can switch it nomatter how old you are.

Bassboy,
from what little I'm able to glean about you through the internet it appears that you're of high intelligence and are a natural engineer. I think you should go to college and engineering school specifically. Humanities classes will give you a well rounded insight to all things making you more marketable in the long run.

If you enjoy working with metal and designing boats, the best option would be mechanical engineering or industrial design. Both of these degrees give you the skills to design things and understand what forces are working against or for you in the design. Mechanical engineers are involved in every aspect of manufacturing, from design to testing and you will get to spend a lot of time working with the parts or boats or whatever you are designing.

I would recommend engineering school.
Good luck with your decision. My best advice would be to take your time and really think it through.

I've talked with bassboy about this before, and I'm not sure if he's changed his mind - but, he really doesn't want to design, he wants to build.

I think I gave him the same advice then, and I did it again here - get the mechanical engineering degree... this time, I just threw out there to go to a specialized school afterwards and he will have that much more knowledge.

One thing I didn't mention before... college is when most people change their mind about what they wanted to do in life... I went from engineering, to computer science, and finally ended up with a Sport Management degree (basically a Business Admin with emphasis in sport). And here I am underwriting primary casualty insurance for national account businesses, not much to do with anything I went to school for...

Maybe i can help you out... being that im a little closer to the age your speaking of, im a 21 almost 22 year guy who was raised by a pastor and a mother who is a manager at a hospital neither of them had college degrees, my eldest sister was the first in my line of family to have an actual degree (going back through my relatives in w.v. and everyone) I loved law enforcement, law enforcement was my passion and is why i am currently a law enforcement officer.... So i went to a tech school right out of high school and obtained an associates degree in criminal justice..... Sounds all good and what not and yeah i get a little extra money for having my associates degree problem is criminal justic degrees are basically worthless anywhere else in life except for a law enforcement job. I got certified in all types of things like Marijuana and drug identification, fingerprint identification, forensics, blah blah blah, doesnt matter though because that employer (most of the bigger departments) want you to have a degree specifically in that field or they will send you through their own training because they believe that if you pass theres then they can without a doubt know your okay.

Get your degree, college is not only 100% more fun and a complete experience compared to high school but i found it to be quite a bit easier.

While your in school get yourself into projects that will get you by until you get your degree. I mean get a degree in engineering or something that has something to do with what you want to do but will still be able to be used in the real world if that fails.

Dont end up like me, about to get laid off, with a degree that is only useful if im a cop.

Your 16 you still have time to think about this, but even at my age of 21 almost 22 i feel everything passing me by!

Okay, home from work. Do not wait until you're 42 to go to college like I did (had to for this job). I joined the Navy right out of high when I was 17 (got my dad to sign for me). Spent 21 yrs in there, "retiring" at the ripe age of 38. Worked home improvement retail for almost 4 years, and realized that I wasn't cutout for it. So, started this job teaching jrotc, whcih I'm in my 13th year. Here's the kicker: I attended the local college as required to get my state teaching certificate, which is only good for jrotc, and I earned 18 semester hours. I met the requirements as set forth by the State Board of Education. Used my GI Bill (Vietnam Era) to pay for school. Now the Navy says we need a two year degree by achool year of 2011 to continue teaching. Mindful now, there are 100's of us retired military guys teaching jrotc who do not have degree, but we've been doing it for a number of years, and they're not going to "grandfather" us. I'm electing to end this gig in 2011, which will give me 15 yrs doing this, and I'll be pushing 58 yrs old. What am I going to do? Have no idea. Maybe I'll go fishing. Moral of the story: Go to college when you're young enough to put it to good use.

Bottom line..............................go to college and get a 4 yr degree, or higher. If you decide to join the military, they don't care what your major is, just that you are college educated. Or, get a full-ride scholarship to ROTC, let them pay for your education, pay back the time on active duty, resign your commission, and go make a decent living. I know a girl here in town who had a FULL RIDE ROTC scholarship to Texas A&M, did her freshman year, started the second year, then dropped out of school (just recently). She now works at a restaurant seating people. Go for the gold!

Latest posts