Has this ever happend to you?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfish

Reaction score
I have a aluminum pot that I use to fry turkeys in. I normally drain the oil after each fry and clean the pot out. Well long story short I didn't last time and it has been sitting on the back patio (concrete floor but roofed over and screened in) for a few months. I notice this morning that there was a huge oil ring around the pot. Out of the blue this thing just starts leaking oil out of the bottom. What the heck is this all about? Is the oil the culprit for eating pin holes in the bottom of the pot? Did the concrete react to the aluminum to eat it away? I'm totally at a loss how this could have happened. I'm done with these cheap-o thin aluminum pots that come as a kit and am shelling out the coin for a nice stainless steel one next time.

Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know what might have caused this to happen? Now i have to deal with an ugly oil stain that I have no idea of how I going to get out of the concrete. :x

Kitty litter will get the stain out of the concrete. Sprinkle it over, leave it for a couple hours, and sweep it away later.

What the heck is this all about? Is the oil the culprit for eating pin holes in the bottom of the pot? Did the concrete react to the aluminum to eat it away?

Just guessing here, but the culprit is more than likely a reaction with the concrete, not the cooking oil, but, like I said, just guessing.

I have fried many turkeys and they are awesome! I always filter and drain my oil and put it back into the jug it came in and put it in my chest freezer. Then take it out a few days before I want to use it.

NAPA sells some oil absorbent speedy dry that works much better than any I have found. It is a NAPA branded product that comes in a 40 lb. bag. Sprinkle it down and work it into the concrete with a stiff brush or broom and then let it sit for a while.

Never had this happen, but motor oil comes off the driveway pretty good with the oil absorbent that KMixson mentioned. Turkey is awesome when it is deep fryed. They have a new thing out now that is a no oil turkey fryer/roaster, my father in law has one and they work really well. Prime rib and ham are also great in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Oil-Less-Infrared-Turkey-Fryer/dp/B000W74HI2

natetrack said:
Turkey is awesome when it is deep fryed. They have a new thing out now that is a no oil turkey fryer/roaster, my father in law has one and they work really well. Prime rib and ham are also great in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Oil-Less-Infrared-Turkey-Fryer/dp/B000W74HI2

They are calling that an "infrared" cooking device, but it is really nothing more that a gas grill of a different shape. It doesn't use "infrared technology" but simply a different form of convection cooking, much like indirect cooking on a gas or charcoal grill.

From https://www.rasmussen.biz/grills/whatsir.html.....
"RADIANCE VS. CONVECTION
Without getting overly technical, heat transfer can occur one of three ways - conduction, convection or radiation. Conduction requires direct contact between two objects and is used frequently in cooking. Sauteing and pan-frying both rely on conduction to work. Convection relies on heat transfer via a liquid or gas. The heated molecules of air or water physically bump into other molecules, and transfer some of their energy. This process is also regularly used in cooking, whether you are boiling, deep frying or cooking on a conventional gas grill.

Radiant heating is different. It does not rely on any intermediary to conduct heat - it works directly on the molecules in its path. Because of this, it is highly efficient. Any heat transfer involves some loss, so when you have a gas flame, heating air, then heating a radiant, then heating air some more, then finally heating your food (as in a traditional grill), you have much more loss than if that heat energy goes directly from the source to the food being cooked."

I'll have to pickup some stuff from the auto parts store for the grease, thanks for the suggestions. I think between the burner almost burnt a hole through the already thin bottom and then a reaction between the aluminum and the concrete finished the job. Like by brew gear I'm going all SS for my low country boil, turkey frying gear!

Latest posts