"Grippin" tools?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
As most of you have seen in my pics of catches, I normally wear a glove so that I can have some grip. I've been thinking for awhile about the mechanical grips, such as the Boga Grip, but don't want to spend that kind of money for the Boga. Any other good grips similar to the Boga that aren't as costly? One with a digital scale built-in would be handy also. Thanks for any info :)

Sorry WW - saw this picture and, well I am out of control

pliers.jpg

You can get some Boga "knock offs" for a reasonable price

Lol, I can't find the digital scale on them for all the colors :lol: .

I was just over at the BPS site looking at their different grips. They have a fairly decent one made by Berkley, w/digital scale, and a 30lb max limit, but most of my catches are in the 1lb-2lb range, lol.

I'm like you wings, I'd like the boga, but I don't want to pay the price. I have a plain berkley grip, and it sucks. Fish slide out of it pretty easily, so you have to continue to push down on handle to keep the jaws shut tightly. I have some rapala ones as well and they don't work that well either, and they're harder to get into the fish's mouth I feel. BPS has some that I almost bit on. The reviews said the scale was worthless but the grip wasn't too bad.

WW,

This is a good one:

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewlippertoolslipper.html

AND these people have it for $35 :shock:
https://www.evolutionproductsinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=LIP26S

What really gets awesome reviews (Im going to buy one myself even though it has no scale), ESPECIALLY for those toothy critters is............

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat90003&id=0012971013780a&navCount=2&podId=0012971&parentId=cat90003&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Thanks, Jim! I wonder how the Evolution company can sell the "Lipper" at half the price? Good reviews on both tools! The one from Cabela's would take up less room in the tackle bag/boat storage. Plus, if you lost it or broke it, you'd only be out about $13 (Cabela's tool) instead of $40 (Lipper tool). Hmmmmmm :-k

Waterwings said:
Thanks, Jim! I wonder how the Evolution company can sell the "Lipper" at half the price? Good reviews on both tools! The one from Cabela's would take up less room in the tackle bag/boat storage. Plus, if you lost it or broke it, you'd only be out about $13 (Cabela's tool) instead of $40 (Lipper tool). Hmmmmmm :-k

and it floats! :D

Jim said:
Waterwings said:

and it floats! :D

A definite plus in my book! :)

Aw heck, just thumb 'em!

A raw thumb at the end of the day is a battle scar to wear proudly. :lol:

I usually keep a golf towel on the boat for removal of the toothy critters.

Quackrstackr said:
Aw heck, just thumb 'em!

Occasionally I thumb 'em (not often though), and it sure does make the arthritis kick-in and hurt like h3LL.

Quackrstackr said:
Aw heck, just thumb 'em!

Coming from a guy that noodles catfish.....sticking your hand in some hole underwater.....No way man! I'm frail! :LOL2:

Jim said:
Quackrstackr said:
Aw heck, just thumb 'em!

Coming from a guy that noodles catfish.....sticking your hand in some hole underwater.....No way man!....:LOL2:

Exactly! lol 8) . Some of us ain't that hard-core, lol. 8)

I'll put a glove on for that but it is a mandated right of passage to get your first one without. :lol:

I have a Rapala lock'n'weigh, that my girl got for me a while ago. The locking system seems like it may hurt the fish, so I generally only use it for cats and carp in a bag. I did, however, test the locking jaws on my lips when I first got it, and it only hurt a little, so I will hook up a bass to it from time to time. This year I would like to get a lip grip with a digital scale to get a more accurate weight. I was wondering how people like the X-tool scale?

About the noodling, anyone can have my turn. I have tried to rescue too many snappers crossing the road, to deal with another. I don't need another animal biting at my arm.

Latest posts