Tell me what you think

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darb79

Reaction score
So, here I am posed with a question. I have talked to alot of people about this, and now I pose it to you. I'm looking into joining the Idaho National Guard for 1, help paying for school. 2, I Know that alot of the state and government jobs put someone at the top of the list who has a service record when hiring for jobs. 3, The experience of it. I turn the big 3-0 this june, and from those of you who have been in, or are still in the service, will I survive? Plus, am I going to get jerked around with help for financing school? I pretty much have my mind made up on what I am going to do, I guess I just need a little more push.

i have several friends that joined the guard outta highschool. they love it, and got free college. they work on diesels for the guard now. plus you cant beat the haircut. ive had one since i was 14 and yet to serve :)

Are they paying 100% tuition? I know the KYANG does, but have heard some states are different. If you don't PT, start now. Be prepared to be depolyed. Once your Basic and AIT (Advanced Infantry Training) are completed you're considered deployable, at least from what I gather from the local Guard members and recruiters around here. There are some that are non-deployable while in school, but check on it, and...................................get everything in writing on your contract. Do they have an openening at the local Guard unit for the MOS you're looking at? Ask the recruiter lots of questions, then...................................get everything in writing! 8)

WW
USN(Ret)

Like WW says get it in writing!!! recruiters will promise the world then say they never said that.
if it isn't in your contract you won't get it.

my wife has 32 years in the ARMY reserve and loves it
expect to be deployed after training

I'm in the Air National Guard, as well as my dad... he is the State Command Cheif Master Sergeant...

if you want to talk in person, I know he as well as I would be more than happy to talk to you on the phone about it... he's really good and easy to talk to. If you want his info let me know and I'll give him a heads up that you're going to call him

But trust me when I tell you this - you can survive anything that you tell your mind you can do. I've been in over 10 years now, and time has flown by...

As far as school finances, that is probably the easiest part. One of the things as well that you get is credit towards your degree from your military training that will transfer.

Darb, you didn't state what branch you were trying to get into, or what job you are applying for. Makes a big difference as to "Can I make it?" I would think something like infantry would be fairly tough starting out at 30, than say something like a dental tech or an IT for instance. 30's not too old. AF has extended the age limit from 27 to 34 (I think. They change thing's faster than I can keep up with.) AF has changed it's PT to more match the Army, so it's no longer the cakewalk the old reputation give's. If your in good shape, no back or knee trouble's and have the drive to make it, you can.

Latest posts