boat safety comes first wear your pfd

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbug

Reaction score
With all the mods we do on the site we need to remember that safety comes first and a stable boat is a safe boat.
From the Pottstown Mercury, 03/15/2009:

Fisherman rescued after boat capsizes

Saturday, March 14, 2009 12:43 PM EDT
By Brandie Kessler, [email protected]

UNION — A Douglassville man trying to catch a few walleye in Hopewell Lake during the last day of the season Friday instead wound up pulling in two men, one who suffered hypothermia, after the men’s boat flipped.

“Their boat capsized and I saw two of them bouncing around in the water with their lifejackets on,” said Anthony Neishloss. “The one made it out of the water, no problem. But the other guy, I had to get a good long stick to pull him in.”

Neishloss said the two men were in the cold water for 10 to 15 minutes. The names of the two men were not known; however, Neishloss said they appeared to be in their 20s.

Neishloss said he wanted to make the most of the day fishing and didn’t expect the commotion he witnessed.

“I just went out fishing,” he said. “It was the last day of March for walleye and two other fish. I went out to see if I could catch something and I actually ended up pulling one guy out of the water.”

Neishloss said it appeared that one of the men stood up, causing the boat to tip and completely capsize. The two men were wearing life vests, but didn’t call for help. He thought it might have been the cold water taking their breath away that prevented them from yelling.

When both men were finally on shore, Neishloss said one of the men seemed fine, but the other wasn’t completely coherent. As Neishloss was attempting to talk to the man, who appeared to be suffering from hypothermia, a friend called him on his cell phone.

“My phone rang when I was actually bending down talking to the man,” Neishloss said. “And I said, ‘I need you, I need somebody here.’”

Neishloss said he told his friend to call 911 and to drive to the ranger’s station and let them know about the incident

“So I took a life jacket and threw it out on the service road so (responders) knew where we were,” he said.

When the rangers located Neishloss and the two men whose boat capsized, they were able to get blankets on them and get them medical attention.

“He’s fortunate (Neishloss) was fishing,” French Creek Chief Ranger Chris Nangle said, explaining that without Neishloss’ assistance, it could have taken much longer to get help to the man with hypothermia.

“The water’s probably 30 to 40 degrees,” Nangle said, noting there was still ice on the lake a week ago.

“The one gentleman had a slight hypothermia,” Nangle said. He said that man was taken to an area hospital by Southern Berks Ambulance. The second man who was in the water declined medical treatment.

Neishloss said he knew what to do to help the man with hypothermia and was able to discern that that was the problem because of training he’s had.

“I’m CPR and first aid certified, and I just want to thank Kennedy Tool & Die (of Birdsboro) for allowing me to get those certifications before they laid me off because without those I wouldn’t have known what to do,” Neishloss said. “I did pretty much everything a paramedic should do, even though I’m not one.”

Neishloss said he’s definitely going to look into what it takes to become a paramedic after the incident Friday.

Although he doesn’t know the names of the two men who he helped pull to safety, Neishloss said they are in his thoughts.

“I’m just hoping and praying that they’ll be OK,” he said.

Link to article: https://www.pottsmerc.com/articles/2009/03/14/news/doc49bbde3cd7a8f786422557.txt

Those guys are lucky he was there. Although the above incident occurred in cold temps, it (capsizing/falling overboard) can happen just as easily in warm weather. Keep your decks free of trip hazards/clutter.

did anyone else find the hero's shout out to his company that laid him off to be comical?

lol i thought it was nothin like a good ole shout out for giving you CPR training :mrgreen:

Latest posts