Your thoughts on catching spawners...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMDave

Reaction score
Personally, and I know it won't be a popular thing here at Tinboats, but I don't like fishing for fish off the beds.

I know, you could probably find all these scientific reasons as to why catching and releasing spawners is fine, but I just can't feel right doing it :| .

What about you guys? I'm just interested in seeing what you guys feel towards this subject.

I don't usually. Every now and then, depending on what my backseater does, you might find me with a bed fish (only in a tourney, where a check is on the line). Otherwise, a camera is good enough for me. I have a hard time considering it catching, if I visibly shook a lure in front of its face for however long, and didn't have to actually "fish" for it.

I havent targeted any bedded bass, but I have come across a few that I thought about fishing. It was alot more fun to watch how the fish react when other smallies came in close. It was like I was watching a protective yard dog. Its never about the fish in the hand, that is just an extra, its about being out and learning and understanding the world around us. Sorry, that allmost sounded fruity. I just got out of a Philosopy class :lol: .

Jim said:
I will not intentionally go out and fish beds, but If I come across one..I will fire a few presentations at it.
So if you find a bed you will make a couple casts by accident? :LOL2: Just kidden Mr. Jim, I know this subject can get a little iffy. When I was a kid in Penna you werent allowd to target Bass till June. I dont do it.

Well, I guess I'll be the unpopular one.

I absolutely love sight fishing for bedding bass.

I don't want someone throwing some funny colored thing with multiple sharp hooks attached into my bed, so I don't do it either. :roll:

Seriously, I don't think it's good conservation strategy. When you pull the fish off it's bed, that give all the little lurkers an opportunity to raid the nest and eat many potential fry, thus lowering the number of possible future fish of the targeted species.

Lots of guys think it's OK to C&R during the closed season, but I never felt it was a responsible way to use the fishery.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I do a lot of my fishing on the banks so unless its within a few feet of the banks I wont know if im fishing a bed or not. Also the main areas I hit during the spawn are near impossible for the fish to bed on due to tides and current. I do know other areas that will be covered in beds but I wait to hit them, there generally better in the summer anyway after the grass has grown to the top.

goat83 said:
If it's definitly on a bed I won't fish for it, besides it's still illegal to fish for bedding bass in Pa.
I thought they changed that to catch & release during the closed season.

It's catch and release April 18 thru June 12 but they don't won't you fishing for them when they are visibly on a bed. Some commision officers won't say anything but some will. I've had a few stop and talk to me to see if I was fishing for them. Oh yeah, If I was in a state were they allowed it I'd fish for them. I'd still release it but I'd be sure to get pictures.

As far as I know there is absolutely no law against targeting bass during the spawn whatsoever in PA. The only law is catch and immediate release and no tournaments are allowed. If a CO wants to give you a hard time they have no legal grounds unless you are keeping them or maybe keeping out of water for an extended period. It is such a touchy issue amongst outdoorsman I wouldn't be surprised if there are CO's that would try to harrass people out of the practice based on their own personal opinions.

Latest posts