Making some extra cash?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Any of you guys got any tips on making some extra cash? My work has cut us down to 32hrs/wk, and with what I was making on 40hrs a week, cutting us back 8hrs has only made it harder. I'm having trouble even having enough money to get by after I pay my bills. Just wondering if you guys might have any ideas? I'm not really wanting to get anything as permanent as a part-time job, but just looking for things I could do on the side. Let me hear your guys ideas. :?:

Just advertise with your Avatar....

It's a short time thing anyway. :lol:

From your posts, I would assume you aren't real familiar with boat engines, but how are you with other sorts of engines? Being that it is spring, people are starting to need lawn mowers and weed whackers serviced, because they didn't store them properly. I have started doing repairs Johnson/Evinrude outboards as a side job, and there is a bit of a demand for such, even though we have plenty of big name marinas and boat dealers around.

Even mowing the odd lawn could bring in some extra cash but that cuts into the fishing time.

I don't know what other hobbies you have besides fishing but if there is something you like to do that you can make some $$ at.....try that.
I work with wood quite a bit and here while back ago I started making some wooden shelves out of old barnwood and antique windows for the door,and people love that kind of stuff around these parts. It's fairly easy and I find the stuff just laying around and ask people what they are goping to do with it and they just tell me to take it so all i'm out is a little $$ for screws,hinges and a little paint evry once in a while.
Never know,you might have some kinda hidden talent you don't even know about??
Whatever you do,I hope everything works out for ya!

As has already been mentioned you could always pick a few lawns to mow or maybe even tie Crappie flies (jigs) to sale.

Try writing down exactly where every penny goes and then start cutting corners. Stinks I know.

You brown bag lunch or eat out at lunch every day? You go out to eat allot? Any Extras that you can cut?

Is the hour cut temporary or forever? Maybe start looking for a new job?

I feel for you.

I work in the auto industry and everyone knows how that situation is right now.

We were told today that we have been stripped of pretty much all benefits besides insurance (which we pay ourselves anyway) and will be taking 2 mandatory weeks off without pay in the next 3 months.

Same here,at work they had to lay acouple guys off,first time in 85 years.Were not aloud to work overtime and 40 hours max a week.
Even thought of training but don't know what I'd take.

I got laid off last Friday. the first thing I did (before I even got home) was call all my friends and relatives and told them im out of work and if they need anything done for a few bucks Im all for it. My Pops works on houses on the side, another friend fixes cars out of his garage and both wouldnt mind the added help. In fact my friend said he has to turn away bodywork requests (I have a background in bodywork) and my dad has had to turn down a few side jobs because he didnt have a second set of hands. In fact I worked a few hours for my Pops today. it was only $40, but that will feed me all week. Im going from a decent paying office job to loading dumpsters and changing brake pads, but a dollar is a dollar.

Id also agree with Jim. count every penny. its amazing where you can cut. My Old lady and I cut our groceries down to less then $50 a week for the two of us.

other things.

6HP Johnson will have to do for another season. Id love a 15-25HP, but the 6 has a fresh tune and runs great.

new baitcaster rig will wait till next season. My rickety old $12 Quantum spinning reel on an old fiberglass rod will have to do.I did get a new UL and medium casting rigs last season.

no trips to the sporting goods store. I really dont think I need to explain this to fellow Tackle Monkeys.... :lol:

Cable-gone. thats $60 a month right there.

Jim said:
Try writing down exactly where every penny goes and then start cutting corners. Stinks I know.

You brown bag lunch or eat out at lunch every day? You go out to eat allot? Any Extras that you can cut?

Is the hour cut temporary or forever? Maybe start looking for a new job?

Well, Here lately I have been limiting my "eating out" fund. If we have plenty of groceries here at home to eat, I come home to eat at lunch.

The hour cut is temporary, but there has been no word of how long they think it'll last. It basically will be until we start to pick back up....which is not looking good for anytime soon.

The thing is with my job, there really isn't any demand for what I do(CAD Operator) locally....and most places aren't really doing much hiring anyway. The closest possibilities would be an hour away or more, and most anymore of what I would make, would have to be spent on gas for the cumute. And i'm still living at home, so I don't even have any rent to pay.

I'm hoping to maybe pick up a few lawns to mow, or maybe find a few cars to wash or something.

I guess the biggest thing the past few weeks have been my upcoming expenses. I had to buy a new(re-conditioned) prop for my boat, and had to buy new tires. Now i'm having to wait to have the tires put on til I have that extra money....pretty sad, I know. But anyways, I appreciate your guys input.

Now i'm having to wait to have the tires put on til I have that extra money
Still finding ways to go fishing is definitely needed. Eases the tension a bit. Maybe going electric only, and fishing closer to the ramp, to save fuel money, among other ways. For the tires, see if there is a local high school with an auto shop class. Most times, they will do it for free, as it gives them tasks to teach with, without having to spend any money. I can't even tell the number of tires we mount and balance for free. We do most any work on students vehicles, teachers vehicles, teachers friends etc. If you ask, they probably won't mind, especially something as simple as mounting and balancing, being that is a task that is done in just about every automotive shop in the country, so students definitely need experience on that.

Good idea concerning the Vo-Tech school, bassboy!

Bubba, do you have a degree that would enable you to substitute at a local school maybe? I believe around here it takes a minimum of a 2 yr degree, and they have to get on the sub list at the local BOE. I think (not sure) that the subs at our school earn between $50 to $70 a day (7.5 hrs) depending on their experience. Just a thought.

when I was in my 20s one summer I caddied part time, I would earn about $50-$70 a loop double bagging(abput 5 hours work). It's pretty good exercise and you're outside.

hunt ginsing in the summer. usually make a grand a season just being outdoors hiking though i didnt sell due to the price drop last year. (they go great in white liquar)

i also work on vehicles on the side, pressure wash, ect.

when i get a low paycheck i dig worms, catch creek chubs crawdads and lizards to save some money.. oh yah also buy natty light on those tight times :oops:

Unfortunetly there is no tech school around here anyway. And our highschool doesn't have any equipment like that.

Waterwings, The thing with that is that I am still working through the week, just off on wednesday's. So I basically need something I could do on my own time...After 5 o'clock through the week, on wednesday's, or saturdays.

I told my mom last night to keep me in mind if she hears of anyone needing anything done. I'm going to talk to some of my other family to see if I can't find someone that needs a little help. Heck, even 20-30 bucks a week would help. I have been trying to either fish from the bank, or hitch a ride in someone else's boat here lately to help out a little bit. This summer I will more than likely be wading the river alot more, or going out in my kayak, or floating the river in the jonboat...as I wouldn't have to put gas in my "big" boat anyway.

I have cut lawn the past 5 summers, I make my own hours (for the most part) and it does not take me long.

Stay strong, it is always darkest before the dawn....Corny but who cares

i feel for you too, im a mechanic and times are slow. my only advice is get your name out there for side jobs and be ready when they come up. i had to build a fence last weekend instead of fishing, but good money for a day and a half work. hang in there.

Latest posts