I get to work on my pond

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
Some might remember me posting this https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5100 back when my pond dried up. Well the water is back
DSC05181.jpg

DSC05182.jpg

DSC05183.jpg

and I have discovered there is a run off pipe hooked to the pond so it doesn’t fill up, might explain how easy I lost the water.

I will have a large backhoe this weekend Lord willing, and I’m considering doing a few things to it just to snap it up,

1. I plan to remove the run off pipe

2 The sides I plan on cutting into them, creating a drop off edge, and then raising the west wall up even so it can hold more water, and I can actually cut the grass with out hanging up the mower
DSC05186.jpg

DSC05185.jpg

3 I have some rocks that I plan on putting in it as well, but was needing some ideas here. What kind of bottom could I create? Some holes here and there or try to create a point or something and combine this with the rocks?
DSC05180.jpg

DSC05188.jpg

4 I need to come up with a depth for some spots, I can't re-dig the pond out, but can add to it.

So, I do have the opportunity to snap it up a bit for Blue gill and then Bass(and a few cat)

I plan on attacking it the Saturday and Sunday borrowing the rain.

Anyone got some ideas here? Ask away

While you have access to the backhoe, might not be a bad idea to dig as deep as you can atlest on one end to have plenty enough water to winter the fish. Throw a brush pile or 3 in there lots of rocks, maybe even a dock or 2. Add all the structure you can for the fish. Whole cinder blocks work pretty good too if you have any laying around (they'll make all kinds of nooks and crannies for the smaller fish.) I know it's not a very big pond, but with the work you plan on doing, I think it'll make a great little fishing hole.

While drop offs are nice,not sure how many little people are around your place?Maybe just a deeper hole towards the middle.
What type of fish are you planning to put in there?

we have a pond i cant wait to get fix'd too. our problem is the beavers and muskrats have dug holes from the pond to the creek (about 10ft apart) making the water stay level with the creek (1-2'). me and my dad restored an old tractor, now we just gotta buy a digger for it and repack the bank

anyhoo, at full pool ours should be 15'. id like it to gradually slope up 1 end from the other, to maybe 1 or 2'. put rocks around 1 edge, leave the deep and shallow muddy, and have some grass grow thick in another corner. plus throw some xmas tree's in there. our pond is only 30-20' though, im pretty jelious of yours

goodluck with it!

I will be nice and not post any pictures of my ponds....you will see more pictures after my vacation
I would forget the xmas trees they only last a year or two you are better off using Cedar or a hard wood they last much longer
We left a 40 ft tree that we knocked over in our lake when we built it 6 years ago and it still looks great it sits in about 10 ft of water.
The fish biologist suggested that we place any other brush piles in the 8 to 10 ft mark
also be sure to stock your bait fish first to help to condition the lake

good luck

Wayne

Zum said:
While drop offs are nice,not sure how many little people are around your place?Maybe just a deeper hole towards the middle.
What type of fish are you planning to put in there?

No little ones to worry about, and I was going to put Blue gill in first, Bass and then cat.

Loggerhead Mike said:
we have a pond i cant wait to get fix'd too. our problem is the beavers and muskrats have dug holes from the pond to the creek (about 10ft apart) making the water stay level with the creek (1-2'). me and my dad restored an old tractor, now we just gotta buy a digger for it and repack the bank

anyhoo, at full pool ours should be 15'. id like it to gradually slope up 1 end from the other, to maybe 1 or 2'. put rocks around 1 edge, leave the deep and shallow muddy, and have some grass grow thick in another corner. plus throw some xmas tree's in there. our pond is only 30-20' though, im pretty jelious of yours

goodluck with it!

We have craw dad galore & frogs, there's so many holes around sometimes I think thats whats letting water out.

So, what side should I put the deepest end on?? North,South, East or West?

This run off pipe maybe essential to the pond.If it ever over flows it could wash out the sides or dam.Is it possible to install an on off valve or maybe a plug, with a length of rope or chain to keep from loosing it.

ben2go said:
This run off pipe maybe essential to the pond.If it ever over flows it could wash out the sides or dam.Is it possible to install an on off valve or maybe a plug, with a length of rope or chain to keep from loosing it.
your pond should have an emergency spill way ours is a side of the lake away from the dam we then dug a ditch lined with chunk rock to lead the water around the dam this way you dam is safe from flooding

redbug said:
ben2go said:
your pond should have an emergency spill way ours is a side of the lake away from the dam we then dug a ditch lined with chunk rock to lead the water around the dam this way you dam is safe from flooding

That's a better idea than using a pipe it can flow more without washing out.

It was an old cattle pond, and I found the drain pipe that kept the water to a level for the cattle, so I'm gonna fix that, it has a top run off thats about 16 feet from the drain ditch, no sweat.

So, I'm gonna try to straighten it up and see about changing up some points or depths.

Loggerhead Mike said:
we have a pond i cant wait to get fix'd too. our problem is the beavers and muskrats have dug holes from the pond to the creek (about 10ft apart) making the water stay level with the creek (1-2').

My father in law had a little pond dug when they stripped the coke ash from an old tram road at his stables. I have put smallmouth, largemouth, rock bass, bluegill in it so far. I checked it everyday for about a month and never found any floaters, but I havent been able to catch anything yet this year. I have only went twice so far and didnt fish long, but I'm hoping they made it. We have a lot of muskrat cruising the creek there too, and they have dug a couple of holes but I dont think they have made it to the creek yet. It like yours is only about 10' away. I have caught one muskrat so far and havent seen any slides since. A buddy of mine runs equipment for a contractor and they built some ponds for the city park this summer and he said they put chain link fence down the covered it up with about a foot of dirt. This way they cant tunnel through to the creek. Ours is looking good so far but I may do it if I can get a hold of some fencing for cheap. Just an idear to help solve the problem you are having.

On another note, do you think walleye would survive in our pond? It is about 60x30 and roughly 10' deep.

contractor and they built some ponds for the city park this summer and he said they put chain link fence down the covered it up with about a foot of dirt. This way they cant tunnel through to the creek

excellent advice! i think that will solve our beaver problems

Latest posts