Coast Guard visit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Took some of my students to visit the Coast Guard this morning. Arrived at the boat about 0915 and the students got a really good tour, plus got do some basic fire hose handling, put on the fire fighters ensemble (1 piece turnout gear), toured the bridge, engineroom, galley (they were cooking steaks for lunch, but didn't stay for that). The students had a good time as always, the Coast Guardsmen took their time and explained stuff in detail and answered questions. The boat is a WLR, which works the navigational aides on the river system. I snapped a couple of pics with my phone of their two aluminum work boats. I didn't think to ask, but they appeared to be either 16' - 18' boats (might have 20').The stbd boat has the V-notch bow where they can get a buoy and lash it to the boat. The port boat is a new one and has a flat bottom, with no keel that I could see. I couldn't get real close and took two of the pics standing out on the deck in front of the bridge. Twin 50hp Mercs on both boats.

Port boat:
normal_port_work_boat.jpg

Stbd boat:
normal_stbd_work_boat.jpg

Stbd boat v-notch bow:
normal_stbd_work_boat_v-bow.jpg

Is that out on the Ohio River WW? I grew up in Louisville and my Dad got transferred to Owensboro in around 1979 (South Central Bell) and bought his Lowe 1448 up there someplace.

Anyway, while growing up, our vacations for several years consisted of traveling to Wrightsville Beach, NC and renting a house out there. It was heaven. On 1 side was the ocean and on the other was the sound. The Coast Guard cutters would head out every morning and return every evening and I was there every day to watch it. I grew up wanting to join the CG but never did. I've been thinking about going down and talking to them about the CG Auxiliary here in Memphis.

Yep, that's the Ohio :) . People always look at me weird when I tell them we visited the Coast Guard in Ky, lol. They seem to forget how close we are to the Ohio (about an hour away). Your dad have bought his Lowe where I got mine, at Tyler Boats, Inc., in Rockport, IN, directly across the river from Owensboro. I just found out the other day that Tyler's may be closing their doors due to the economy. A bunch of good folks there to say the least. One of the Coast Guard members told me they used to get the majority of their outboard parts from Tyler's.

Latest posts