Any SkyDivers on here?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brine

Reaction score
Haven't been in 8 years and have the itch.... Only went 4 times, but really enjoyed each jump.

I'm a land boy, but we have the Perrine bridge here that is a base jumpers paradise. I hang out in the boat under the bridge and watch them jump. Pretty cool stuff, but not for me [-X

I have jumped from aircraft. It is a blast. My first jump was a funny ordeal. I was the first one out of the plane and was told to let go of the wing strut when I looked at the instructor and he told me to "Look Up". Well, As I am holding the wing strut it took me a while to look his way and afterward he tells me he was wondering if I was going to jump. It was a lot of fun. That has been twenty years ago. I probably would have to start at the beginners level if I did it again.

darb79 said:
I'm a land boy, but we have the Perrine bridge here that is a base jumpers paradise. I hang out in the boat under the bridge and watch them jump. Pretty cool stuff, but not for me [-X

Not for me either. I don't know if I could do it. In fact, I don't want to. I really don't like heights too much. I won't bungee jump either, but I really enjoy skydiving. I've been asked a few times how that can be, and all I can tell you is that in skydiving, because you are already moving in excess of 120mph (terminal velocity) before you jump, when you exit the plane, you never really feel like you are falling (to me at least), in fact you actually begin to decelerate once you leave the aircraft, and second, at that altitude it's nearly impossible for me to percieve how high I am, meaning 4,000 and 14,000 feet look the same ro me, since I can't see people standing on the ground. Now, when I'm standing on a balcony of a highrise 400 feet above street level looking down, I can get a little quesy.

Jim said:
I couldn't do it! I have a hard time cleaning the leaves off my roof.

I am going to practice all summer with my tree stand for Deer season.

I've had two people say the same thing. They came to watch and ended up jumping after seeing everyone having so much fun. FYI, I'm not big fan of roof tops either. :lol:

I think it is a control issue I have. :lol:

Its like going on a road trip...I always need to be the guy driving. Jumping out of a plane, I cant control anything.

Jim said:

Its like going on a road trip...I always need to be the guy driving. Jumping out of a plane, I cant control anything.

I'm with you on that Jim... I have the same "control" issue.

I have however jumped out of a plain once. A bunch of us from a place I use to work got the itch to do it back in 1999. We took a road trip down to Tullahoma, TN and took the plunge... tandem of course, with the instructor. It was the first time I had ever been in a plane. It was a huge rush! I really did enjoyed it but I'm not sure I could do it again... it was definitely worth the experience though! There's nothing quiet like plummeting to the earth from 8-10 thousand feet. :D

my last jump was in the rocky mountains of afghanistan... that was 2005

I don't have my certification any more either since I got out of special ops - but I don't miss it like I thought I would

Jim said:

Exact opposite, unless you jump tandem. You are in 100% control of the situation. I never jumped tandem for the same reason.

russ010 said:
my last jump was in the rocky mountains of afghanistan... that was 2005

I don't have my certification any more either since I got out of special ops - but I don't miss it like I thought I would
Russ, what altititude were you jumping? Most of the guys I know that jumped in the military were always jumping at low altitudes, which would seem to take all the fun out of it. Then again, having fun would be the last thing on my mind if the rocky mountains of afghanistan were the LZ. :shock:

most of our jumps were low, somewhere in the 3000-5000 range depending on where we were and what the conditions were... If we could get in undetected by choppers, that was the way to go. Usually we were already in before they heard the choppers, and they heard them as the choppers were leaving.. we just jumped out of the choppers - no chutes

if the lz was in the rocks, we jumped from 5000 so we could have another minute to figure out what we were going to do.

We only did 2 HALO jumps while I was over there... and those jumps are 30K' +

russ010 said:
We only did 2 HALO jumps while I was over there... and those jumps are 30K' +

That must feel like an eternity.

holding your breath and sweating like crazy... I'm not fond of them, but it was an experience to say the least... the training was the hardest part - you learn to control your breathing and your anxiety

Took skydiving while stationed at Nellis in LV Nev. Late 70's or early 80's. 8th static jump on a 33 canopy I started oscillating real bad getting close to the LZ. Nothing for 15 miles in any direction in a valley except for instructor's station wagon. I hit the roof of his wagon hard. Snapped both ankles. Decided to take up fishing.

I made several jumps back in my days in Nam. Landed once in a bunker full of Commi's, Killed em' all bare handed before even unhooking my shoot. They didn't even know what hit em'.... :lol:

GrumMan said:
Took skydiving while stationed at Nellis in LV Nev. Late 70's or early 80's. 8th static jump on a 33 canopy I started oscillating real bad getting close to the LZ. Nothing for 15 miles in any direction in a valley except for instructor's station wagon. I hit the roof of his wagon hard. Snapped both ankles. Decided to take up fishing.

Ouch! I'm not familiar with a "33 canopy". Does the number represent the porosity of the material? If it was one of the round parachutes I'm used to seeing on TV when folks jump static, NO THANKS. Looks like there is no "flying" those things you fall where they take you...

Not to mention, static jumps take away the best part.....FREE FALL!!!

When I did my jumps, the skydive organization that I was at had names for all of their parafoils. Since I am a pretty big guy at 235lb they put me under their biggest one which they called goliath. I never jumped tandem. I guess they figured if we jumped tandem and I started screaming and flailing about like a little girl they didn't want to be strapped to me. On your first few jumps you had a two way radio in your helmet and you had an instructor on the ground watching you making sure you didn't get too far off course. You also had to make ten static line jumps (the ripcord is hooked to the plane) before they would let you freefall. As for control the parafoil has pull cords that you can steer left and right and coming in for touchdown you flare (slow your descent) by pulling down both left and right pull cords. It is not like some parachutes that you land wherever the wind takes you.

KMixson said:
When I did my jumps, the skydive organization that I was at had names for all of their parafoils. Since I am a pretty big guy at 235lb they put me under their biggest one which they called goliath. I never jumped tandem. I guess they figured if we jumped tandem and I started screaming and flailing about like a little girl they didn't want to be strapped to me. On your first few jumps you had a two way radio in your helmet and you had an instructor on the ground watching you making sure you didn't get too far off course. You also had to make ten static line jumps (the ripcord is hooked to the plane) before they would let you freefall. As for control the parafoil has pull cords that you can steer left and right and coming in for touchdown you flare (slow your descent) by pulling down both left and right pull cords. It is not like some parachutes that you land wherever the wind takes you.

Goliath :LOL2:

I guess they would have named mine "Circus Tent" cuz I was 260#.

The way to bypass jumping tandem here was to sit through a 6 hour class. First 3 jumps, two instructors jumped next to you for the entire free fall, but weren't attached. No static jumps were required. And yes, every canopy I have been under operated the same way, and were suprisingly responsive to be a "beginners" chute. The instructors had those little jobs that looked like they handled like a formula one car. They sure did make it look easy and seemed like they could land in a phone booth if they wanted to.

Brine, you'd be correct. It's the round canopy, 33' diameter. Not sure if it was law or club policy back then, but we had to have 12 static's before we could free fall. They were fairly manueverable, obviously not as good as a para, but OK. I just screwed up over correcting.