I met a legend today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
While my wife and I were waiting to check out at Kiefer swim shop we noticed an older gentleman in a power scooter approaching the door. My wife went to open it for him and when he rolled in he shouted "DISCOUNT!" He stopped to chat a while and he saw my Navy cruise jacket and commented that he had served in the Navy and that he still swims 45 minutes a day... at 91 years old. He went on to explain how he used to swim a bit, joined the Navy and started training water survival to the Navy. Turns out we were chatting with Adolph Kiefer, founder of Kiefer & Associates and Olympic Gold Medalist from the 1936 Olympics. I was such a numbskull, that even though I had my camera in my jacket pocket, I never even thought to use it.

Cool Andy, and it doesn't surprise me that you didn't think fast enough for a pic or autograph - that's why you weren't a Marine :p :p ((just kidding - please forgive me, I couldn't help it :wink:

That's cool, and humbling when you meet someone like that. A couple of summers ago at our leadership academy, the guest speaker at the dining out was Admiral Kelso, former CNO (ret). Great privilege to shake his hand. I also failed to get a pic of that opportunity.

Latest posts