Grumble, grumble... received the wrong rod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolie

Reaction score
Earlier in the week I ordered a St.Croix Mojo Trigger rod from BPS. I've never own a split grip rod and thought I'd give it a shot. I'm working from home today and the FedEx truck shows up a little while ago carrying the all familiar cardboard tube. Woo Hoo! I rip into it and.... whoops? That's a spinning rod :-( Everything except the tag hanging on the actual rod says it's the trigger rod that I ordered. Wouldn't be such a disappointment other than the fact that I don't own a spinning reel. Maybe this is a sign that I should? I do want to devote more effect to shakyheads this year. I think I will see if they will cut me a deal on the price since they're going to have to pay for return shipping. Dangit! I was so looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

I'll bring you a spinning reel if you want to try it out... If you fish acworth, I'll leave it in the back of my truck and all you'll have to do is put it on your rod - that is if you plan on keeping it

That sucks. I have the Mojo for plastics, and it is pretty nice. I like the fat grips, and bigger piece of butt cork. I have no complaints with mine.

Dont use spinning gear, so i cant help with your decision. Some people have said on here it makes a world of differance with shakey heads though.

russ010 said:
I'll bring you a spinning reel if you want to try it out... If you fish acworth, I'll leave it in the back of my truck and all you'll have to do is put it on your rod - that is if you plan on keeping it

Thanks Russ. I'm not sure what I want to do. I haven't used a spinning setup since I was a teenager back in the stone ages. The only issue I had then was that it wasn't as accurate my baitcaster. Something to be said for having your thumb hovering over the spool of a baitcaster. In all fairness though, in my teens I didn't have two nickles to rub together so all of my equipment pretty much sucked.

I quit fishing for about 20 years and when I got back into it last year I was totally blown away by how much better the equipment is now so maybe I should give the spinning reel another look. I'm sure if I pull the tags off of it and don't like it I can always get rid of it.

If I decide to give it a whirl I'll let you know. I appreciate the offer.

Thanks,
Poolie

Contact BPS. Often, what happens is that they don't want to pay return shipping, so they will ship you the correct rod, and tell you to keep the first. You'll come out ahead that way. Otherwise, you'll at least get the rod you intended.

I don't like spinning gear either... but it's great for those fish head spins... and that' s all I'll throw on one

BPS wants the spinning rod back so I'm back to being a baitcaster only guy once again.

russ010 said:
I don't like spinning gear either... but it's great for those fish head spins... and that' s all I'll throw on one
You throw those better on a spinning rod? I can throw those better on a casting rod. My 6'8" Medium Extra Fast throws those perfectly.

I can throw them on either type of rod... I just like the action I get off of it with a spinning rod. And I guess I lied - because I just added another spinning rod to my boat for carolina rigging...

Latest posts