In the Wild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamoo

Reaction score
I was wondering what was your hairiest encounter while fishing? I was camping up Swartzwood Lake in Sussex County in northern NJ, hit the lake bout 4.30 am, got back to the site round 10.30 am, noticed my cooler was down by the hedge row, got closer and the lid was ripped off,, food gone escept for my baldy pretzels, and yep claw marks on the side of the cooler. Went to refurbish my lunchmeats and was told there was a 400 lb. black bear and her 2 cubs roaming around, it hit a couple other sites that morning. Still got the cooler along with the claw marks. I coulda told you the story about the goose poop!

Mine would have to be the 12-14 foot shark circling our boat While fishing one day at the Cape. It was cool but still scary to see this thing come up to the boat and circle...Like a Vulture. :shock:

I went out one day last winter in february to fish for trout. Of course I was wading and I think everyone can guess where this is going. It was about 25/30 degrees that morning when I deceided to cross the smaller part of the stream. You guys know that slime that cover the rocks. Well in the winter it is even more slippery. Yeah, I went under and my waders filled right up with very cold, paralizing water. I wasn't so worried about drowning because the creek was only about 3ft deep. Frostbite, and hypothermia was at the top of the list that day. The worst part was I had walked about a mile upstream, and planned on fishing down current on the way back. I didn't get one cast off that day. After a bone chilling mile run, I finally made it to the car, where I stripped just about down to my underwear, and waited for the heat to kick in back in the car.

Good thing I didn't have to have limbs removed from frostbite. How would I ever fish again?

3 weeks ago, on a Saturday morning me and my buddy were out for some early morning fishing. It was about 445 or so and we were getting ready to start fishing. I pulled my boat up in a small cove in a wildlife management area, to use the bathroom. I started toward the woods when all I heard was a loud screaming growl come from up the bank about 50 yards.

Turns out it was a panther, and it was pretty pissed that I invaded its territory.

I spot lighted the woods after running back to the boat jumping about 4-5 ft from the shore to my front deck and in 1 movement, hitting the starter on my motor and throwing it in reverse. The thing followed us for about 1/4 mile down the bank, ever so often showing its big yellow evil looking eyes!!!!

Thats my most hairy moment fishing.....LOL!

I hope you guys get a laugh out of that one.

Cant imagine having waders filling up with ice water and having to walk a mile to get some warmth or coming face to face with a snake(know where your talking about NJ) but how bout a panther, Holey Crap! :shock:

This ones twisted, fishing at the mighty Oak, fishin NJ know this spot, just getting light, still alittle foggy out, Im wading by the beach area(left) I hear a noise and theres this guy behind me, hes like asking questions about the fish ect.ect.ect. I moisey out into the water a little further, the guy had office type cloths on, after a half hour he left. i fished til around 9, got back to my truck and had a note on my windshield, yup he wanted me to meet him back there at 7 pm so he could do what the wind does to Mr. Happy :oops: . I gave the note to a fish and game officer and no I didnt go back!

shamoo said:
Cant imagine having waders filling up with ice water and having to walk a mile to get some warmth or coming face to face with a snake(know where your talking about NJ) but how bout a panther, Holey Crap! :shock:

This ones twisted, fishing at the mighty Oak, fishin NJ know this spot, just getting light, still alittle foggy out, Im wading by the beach area(left) I hear a noise and theres this guy behind me, hes like asking questions about the fish ect.ect.ect. I moisey out into the water a little further, the guy had office type cloths on, after a half hour he left. i fished til around 9, got back to my truck and had a note on my windshield, yup he wanted me to meet him back there at 7 pm so he could do what the wind does to Mr. Happy :oops: . I gave the note to a fish and game officer and no I didnt go back!

LMFAO! Best one yet! That my firend right there is why I carry! :shock:

Well, it didn't happen to me, and it really wasn't a scary situation, but here it is:

1975 while we (US Navy ship I was aboard) were anchored in the harbor of Ibiza, Spain, we would fish from the fantail of the ship (a Frigate) using Zebco's that we usually had with us when deployed. Anyway, the locals/tourists had a habit of buzzing the ship in their speed boats, and the girls liked to take their bikini tops off :D while they sped around and around thr ship, giving us an eyeful. My buddy had his line out (using a bobber) and this boat comes speeding around the fantail, and naturally the girls are topless 8) . He gets so enthralled at the "show" that he doesn't hear the drag on his Zebco really whining. He finally comes to his senses when the entire rod is jerked from his hands :shock: . Their boat had snagged his line and took it all with them. We asked him if he was ticked-off and he replied, "Nah, it was well worth the show! :)

shamoo said:

I guess I need to watch my back at Oak Pond :shock:

Cant trust anyone these days Mr. bcritch. We did those new dorms at Rowand college, they hired like 4 new guys, we were on break and the BA new I fished so he came up to me and asked if i'd talk to this new guy about fishing, dude, he looked just like that guy :shock: I told him later, the BA suggested to the foreman to put us together, I refused, Bummer!