Every day is an adventure.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
I get my boat 90% done and decided to take her out fishing today and to test things out. I get it loaded up and call for the dogs. Only the Black Lab Max comes a running. Max is 2 years old and weighs about 90 pounds. Hes just starting to jump.

We pull up to the stageing area next to the boat ramp and I let Max out to take care of business before the trip. He immediatly heads into the water. Which is fine it gives me some time to prep the boat. I get it prepped and he comes on command. I pick him up and load him into the boat and back down the ramp, put the anchor on shore, and push the boat into the water. I park the truck and on my way back I hear some giggling, and see Max running at me along shore. The boat drifted back to shore and Max liberated himself. I get him back in the boat and we talk off. This is his second time in my boat, and he has been on Mom's pontoon boat a few times.

We get to a decent spot I kill the motor and notice he was a little nervous, offer up some soothing words and start to get my pole ready when I hear a big fish splash next to the boat. Im thinkg alright, great spot, look up to talk to the dog and hes gone. He diecided to go for a swim. 2 laps around the boat and he starts to panic, no visible way back into the boat, he makes a lunge and gets is front legs over the gunwall, and hangs his elbows. I reach over and drag him in. Now he is wet, and really nervous. Spent the next 30 minutes calming him down, and drying him off.

I decided to fish another spot, pretty sure the ddog took care of any fish in the area for a while. I trolled on over there, took 30 minutes or so, I did some exploring on the way, looking for some fishing spots. I get to the second destination, find some fish on a crib and anchor up. Fought with a loose slip knot, finally broke it off and retied. 4 casts later the wife calls saying we have no hot water. Greaat!!!!!

I pulled anchors, and start heading home. Which is fine, Max's teeth were chattering and he was shivering. Bit of a nippy day, low 50's and hes still soaking wet.

Turns out the pilot light went out. Buddy of mine pulls in and give me about $600 he owed me for snow plowing over the winter. So now I am researching a new fishfinder.

All in all it was a good day. I have some tweaking to do on the boat and doubt the dog will jump out again.

Get yourself a life vest for the dog. I know your dog can probably swim like a champ, but it makes life easier when you do not have to worry about the dog tiring out if he jumps off the boat and also has a nice handle to hauls the wet dog over the side. When my Shepard was 2 years old she jumped over at night while we were in the ocean - nearest land was at least 20 miles away. I did not notice at 1st as the seas were a little rough - scared me to death! After that she had a life vest on at all times.

yhst-12096210823712_1998_16013294.jpg

Thanks Captain.

I'll look for a couple of those. We also have a Border Collie. She is skiddish on teh boat and I know she wont jump in, however she isn't teh swimmer the Lab is.

Glad everything worked out for you. Ya gotta love labs. My yellow is still an 8 year old goofball. hopefully yours settles down after a few trips.

Latest posts