Mailing List Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question, How do you think I got on the Arcadia Rods mailing list? I am curious as to what you guys think.

I purchase tackle and boating supplies online, do you think one of those companies sells the list?

One of them has to be selling their customer list. I just remembered that I ordered some rods in February from a place in MO so it could have been them. I've been receiving catalogs from a few retailers for a long time and never get any additional junk mail. I suppose it is not out of the question that one of them decided to sell their mailing list.

they could have tracked you down using the web site.
I have gotten a few offers because of my site

Could you have entered in a free contest at a fishing expo or something like that? You know, the little 3x5 pieces of paper you write your info on and slide in the box.

I'm sure some company has shared your information. I would imagine that I keep getting B.A.S.S. stuff because I joined the North American Fishing Club. With a smaller company like Acaidia, you could get off their mailing list with one email or phone call. Not as easy with a bigger company.

Of course maybe someone signed you up because you asked about a Sharpie... :shock:

I absolutely despise junk mail and telemarketers... not necessarily the people but the job they do. :D It aggravates me beyond explanation that I am automatically opted-in anytime I purchase something or register at a new website and I must submit a request to them to be opted-out. In my opinion this is backwards, I should only be opted-in if I specifically request it and completing a purchase or a new account registration should not give that company automatic authority to use and/or share my info with anyone. I've found a few ways over the years to help reduce the junk mail and the number of calls I receive. I'll share some of them with you below.

In order to reduce the # of calls, I have used the National Do Not Call Registry for every telephone number that has ever been tied to me and my wife's name. I've also completed the process for numerous relatives at their request. Below is a link to their site if you are interested. Follow the steps and it should help. Please note however, that it is not automatic. It will take several weeks for this information to filter out to the different companies for your name to be removed.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

For mailing lists, the task is a little more difficult. A large percentage of junk mail comes from Credit Card offers and other financial service companies who want to offer you their service or product. You received these offers because these companies complete what is called a "Soft-Hit" on your credit to see if you pre-qualify. The kicker for me is that all companies have the ability to check your credit scores (soft-hit) at each of the three major bureaus unless you specifically request that the bureaus do not share this information. In order to do this you will need to contact each of them to request that they stop sharing this information with outside companies. I've put together the names, web address and telephone numbers of the the big three (Credit Bureaus) below. Feel free to use that information to opt-out as you see fit. It's important to note that there are no fees or charges for requesting to opt-out. If you run across something or someone requesting money to do this, you are probably looking at the wrong thing. Also, as with the telephone opt-outs, the opt-outs for mail are not automatic... this too will take several weeks to filter out to all the different companies.

Equifax:
URL - https://www.equifax.com/contact_us/en_us
Phone - 1-888-567-8688

Experian:
URL - https://www.experian.com/preapproved_credit/opting_out.html
Phone - 1-888-567-8688

Trans Union:
URL - https://www.transunion.com/corporate/personal/consumerSupport/preMailingOptOut.page
Phone - 1-888-567-8688

In addition to the above, in the event I receive junk mail today which contains a Pre-Paid Business Reply Envelope, I always take the document and write "OPT-OUT - DO NOT SELL OR SHARE MY INFO" across it with a big black Sharpie (Sorry Capt. :D ), stuff it in the return envelope and send it back to them. I do this for two reasons... the first is they are required by law to remove you from their lists if they receive such a request in writing. Second, the fact that I am returning it to them using their pre-paid envelope is costing them extra money which they will see no return on as I have just declined their offer and any future offers. They waste my time... I waste their dime. Anyway, I apologize for going on so long about this but hope that some of you will find the info useful.

Latest posts