water proofing plywood boxes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
If I am wanting to paint some plywood and make it absolutley waterproof and be able to glue foam to it any good house paint (and primer) should work right?

I am building a set of half boxes to cover a portable generator and line the insides (and outside of the inner box) with egg crate accoustic foam. I need the foam to adhere to the painted surfaces and want the boxes to be able to be rained on without soaking up all the water.

jirwin6985 said:
Popeye i make alot of cages for reptiles and such and last year i made a aquarium out of marine grade plywood. I kept trying to find ways to build a waterproof box without dropping 500 bucks on epoxy. after reading alot i ended up using drylock basement waterproofer and its been a year now with no leaks. If you paint it it will be waterresitant but this stuff basically turn it into concreate and it will not leak. Pretty cheap too and you can glue to it..good luck
Joe

Just curious... how much weight will that add to the box ?? If the box has to be moveable that might be a consideration.

Pretty sure you could use oil based paint/primer as well. If possible, you could build (or position) the boxes so that the tops have a slight angle to encourage water runoff.

Just curious, what is the primary use of the generator and where will it be running?

I HAVE USED THOMPSON WATER SEAL AND A GOOD OIL BASE PAINT ON REG PLYWOOD AND TREATED PLWOOD. I HAVE SOME SITTING OUTSIDE IN GOOD AS NEW CONDITION RIGHT NOW THAT I DID BACK IN 1989.

MOOSE

I ended up going to Ace Hardware and the guru there recomended their Ace oil based waterproofer. You can paint over it after a few days. A gallon of the Dryloc weighs about 10 pounds in the gallon can, can't see how it would gain weight as it drys. The boxes are to dampen the sound emitted by my portable generator while we camp in primative camp sites. Boxes are flat topped so the bigger on will slide over the smaller one. The idea is that when the smaller one is covered inside and out with acoustic egg crate foam and the bigger one is lined inside, the sound will be absorbed by the foam and the 180 degree between the boxes. I'll take some pictures tonite and post them if y'all can't envision the setup.

Popeye said:
The boxes are to dampen the sound emitted by my portable generator while we camp in primative camp sites. Boxes are flat topped so the bigger on will slide over the smaller one. The idea is that when the smaller one is covered inside and out with acoustic egg crate foam and the bigger one is lined inside, the sound will be absorbed by the foam and the 180 degree between the boxes. I'll take some pictures tonite and post them if y'all can't envision the setup.

Yeah, that's what I figured, and I was wondering if it wouldnt be worth rigging up an umbrella holder as long as you can find an umbrella that's big enough to keep the drip line off the boxes.

Seems like the heat build up would be fairly high if it's enclosed like I'm envisioning.

Latest posts