Do you use a GPS for fishing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA57

Reaction score
I finally got to see how these guys use a GPS units to mark brush piles, logs, etc. On Sardis Lake, where I went this week, the Corp. of Engineers sets up a drop off point for people to leave their discarded Xmas trees which they (the CoE) then take and deposit piles of around the lake at various spots. My buddy and others like him spend the winter traveling around on 4 wheelers dropping Xmas trees all over exposed areas that will be submerged when the spring rains hit and drain into the lake. Sardis is a flood control lake so they draw it down REAL far in the winter. They'll drag the trees out to a likely spot, anchor them down and set a waypoint in the GPS. When it comes to crappie time just pull up the waypoint on the GPS and it'll take you right to it. Thing of beauty, it truly was. That was my first experience with a GPS unit and I want one, although I do feel it's a little like cheating. Wandering around the lake while the water is down and learning the lake is one thing but marking spots on a device that will let you find them again with almost pinpoint accuracy is something completely different. I guess I just need to let go of the old ways though and catch up with the times. It was cool not having to spend time looking for spots where the crappie were congregating.

I bought one last fall to use for hunting and don't know how I have been living without one for fishing until now. :lol:

They are fantastic if you crappie fish. Our lake rarely gets down low enough to mark piles on dry ground but I can mark the ones that I stumble across on the depth finder while out fishing. I can also mark ledges and creek channel edges so that I don't have to put out a string of buoys every time that I want to fish them.

You want to talk about feeling like cheating, check this out. https://www.kentuckyhydrografx.com/

There is no brushpile safe with this guy around. You can sit at home on the computer and find them then download the waypoint to your GPS and go right to them.

I still have not bought any of the map sets but I will have the ones that I normally fish before long.

i use mine to make a route... i run some back channels that are very small with lots of turns the gps makes this a lot safer and faster to do.
i have a few ledges on mine also on lake barkley

I use mine when drifting for Perch on Lake Michigan as well as using it to be able to backtrack safely back up the Fox River. I've seen too many bass boats stuck on the mud flats on the inside bends.

i have had mine for about 10 years they dont have all the frills the new ones have but they do what i need also use it to mark the speed of the boat when fishing

Only on the deeper lakes here in Jersey. We average maybe 7 feet and its not reely worth using. I fished all the lakes so I already have a mental picture of them in my head.

I have found that when marking WAY POINTS it works best [ Read more accurate ] when you zoom in as far as you can , then hit your WAY POINT button.

Remember , Aim small , Miss small.

:wink:

BassnBob and Andy, yup, it is THAT Sardis Lake but it's not my GPS so I don't have the waypoints. I don't even have one yet. It's interesting though that Sardis is known all the way up in Virginny! My buddy that took me out last week when I caught my 7 lb'er went back with another friend of his (the no good, two timing... :lol: :lol: ) and they caught about 40 bass, several over 4 lbs on spinnerbaits. I've got to get back out there! I'm jonseing for another fix!!!!

And welder, he was telling me that sometimes it depends on how many satellites are in close proximity to your position when you are searching for a waypoint. If there's several (2 or 3 I would think) they tend to be more accurate than if there's just 1 or 2. But I like the idea of zooming in ACAP when marking a waypoint.

Latest posts