just scored me a deal on eBay

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolie

Reaction score
Just picked up a St. Croix Avid (new) casting rod on eBay for $107. Woo Hoo! I got a Mojo rod a week or so ago and really like it but the price tag of the Avid is a little hard to swallow... but I can handle that :)

I hear ya man.. eBay has been my friend as of late... now if I can just get this trolling motor - too bad there's 6 days left

Nice deal. You are going to love that Avid. If, for whatever reason, you decide you don't like it, I will buy it from you at that price. And, I am saying that without even knowing what model it is - I like them that much. Someday, I will get a complete set of them.

For a while, ebay got to be a pain to use, and the fees made deal hunting just about useless, unless there was one real odd thing in particular. However, I think enough people are loosing interest in looking for stuff on there that good deals are showing up.

We just got a NOS (new old stock) intake manifold, throttle body, and coil for a Chevy 350 on there (package deal) for 96 bucks. Ended up getting that, as it was cheaper than rebuilding the current throttle body we have, and now we also have a few other parts that can go to putting the core engine we just pulled out, back together, once we rebuild it.

bassboy1 said:
Nice deal. You are going to love that Avid. If, for whatever reason, you decide you don't like it, I will buy it from you at that price. And, I am saying that without even knowing what model it is - I like them that much. Someday, I will get a complete set of them.

I'm actually a little afraid that I am going to like it... too much. My wife will kill me if I get a taste for $170 rods.

bassboy1 said:
For a while, ebay got to be a pain to use, and the fees made deal hunting just about useless, unless there was one real odd thing in particular. However, I think enough people are loosing interest in looking for stuff on there that good deals are showing up.

I noticed the same thing. I quit buying on eBay for a couple years, but I think a lot of people have gone to Criagslist and the deals are coming back.

bassboy1 said:
We just got a NOS (new old stock) intake manifold, throttle body, and coil for a Chevy 350 on there (package deal) for 96 bucks. Ended up getting that, as it was cheaper than rebuilding the current throttle body we have, and now we also have a few other parts that can go to putting the core engine we just pulled out, back together, once we rebuild it.

Whatcha building?

poolie said:
bassboy1 said:

Whatcha building?
Currently, we are just putting a new engine in a 1989 Chevy Silverado 2500. Dad bought the truck new in '89, and at around 400,000 miles, it was getting tired, and in need of replacing. We got a new crate 350 from GM in November, and due to dads injury, and other things, didn't really get to put it in until a few weeks ago. We finally finished putting everything back together, and have test driven it a few times, and the throttle body needed to be rebushed. It has 17 pounds of resistance on the accelerator pedal. He found that whole deal for less than the existing throttle body could be rebuilt for.

I don't know what is in mind for the old engine, but in a few years, when money comes back, something will be done. It wasn't blown, and is rebuildable, and also one that is highly sought after by hot rodders, as it is a highly modifiable engine (1989 5.7l 4 bolt main). I am a fan of '87 model Chevy 4 x 4s, lifted some, so if I ever strike it rich, I would like to put a 4 inch lift, and taller tires on one, complete with winch and all, and rebuild this engine, to drop in it. Big enough that it makes a good off road truck, but not so much lift that putting stuff in the bed, and towing with it is impractical, as I can't see owning a truck that you can't actually use as a truck, as well as a heck of an off road vehicle. However, the 20 foot aluminum center console build is more important to me, so the truck build will have to wait, unless I win some huge sum of money somewhere. :roll:

The most likely use for it is sometime down the road, dad will probably buy a truck with a blown engine for next to nothing, and put this in it, after a rebuild.

bassboy1 said:
poolie said:
bassboy1 said:

Whatcha building?
Currently, we are just putting a new engine in a 1989 Chevy Silverado 2500. Dad bought the truck new in '89, and at around 400,000 miles, it was getting tired, and in need of replacing. We got a new crate 350 from GM in November, and due to dads injury, and other things, didn't really get to put it in until a few weeks ago. We finally finished putting everything back together, and have test driven it a few times, and the throttle body needed to be rebushed. It has 17 pounds of resistance on the accelerator pedal. He found that whole deal for less than the existing throttle body could be rebuilt for.

I don't know what is in mind for the old engine, but in a few years, when money comes back, something will be done. It wasn't blown, and is rebuildable, and also one that is highly sought after by hot rodders, as it is a highly modifiable engine (1989 5.7l 4 bolt main). I am a fan of '87 model Chevy 4 x 4s, lifted some, so if I ever strike it rich, I would like to put a 4 inch lift, and taller tires on one, complete with winch and all, and rebuild this engine, to drop in it. Big enough that it makes a good off road truck, but not so much lift that putting stuff in the bed, and towing with it is impractical, as I can't see owning a truck that you can't actually use as a truck, as well as a heck of an off road vehicle. However, the 20 foot aluminum center console build is more important to me, so the truck build will have to wait, unless I win some huge sum of money somewhere. :roll:

The most likely use for it is sometime down the road, dad will probably buy a truck with a blown engine for next to nothing, and put this in it, after a rebuild.

I love the classic look of the 73-87 Chevy trucks. I my early 20's I gave up fishing to pursue one of my other loves which is fast cars. If I had 50 cents for every dollar I spend on drag racing and muscle cars I'd be retired today. I should have stuck to fishing :)

I love the classic look of the 73-87 Chevy trucks.
Me too. And, I prefer the engine in the 87 - 89, so the '87 is the "redheaded step child" of sorts, and the best of both worlds.

Latest posts