nitecrawlers anyone?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
since mechanic'ns been slow these days and its been raining for 2 weeks straight w/ no end in sight ive made a new hobby of catching nitecrawlers at nite to save some money, and it is pretty fun

Does anybody have a worm farm here? my fridge is getting full and i need a new place to keep these suckers. My dad told me how he used to have a box burryed in the ground with newspaper and coffee grinds and the worms would stay alive and reproduce so he could sell them at there hardware store (this is way back in the day). has anybody else done anything like this? any tips for me or better idears?
thanks abunch

I use an old flower pot, 16 inches or so. I put coffee grinds and other compose stuff (old lettuce, tomatoes and such) As long as i keep mixing it up the worms seem to stay there.

Oh and I found this out by leaving the flower pot out and being too lazy to throw it out.

I don't have night crawlers... but I have regular worms in an old stand up freezer. I put peat moss in there and feed them chicken starter for feed... along with high protein dog food once a month. It's amazing how big an earthworm can get - they look like they are on steroids and could eat a night crawler!

do you leave the fridge on?

i got the peat moss, but my only other spare fridge is full of cold'nz :mrgreen:

thanks for the tips. our chicks are getting big enough now to eat regular corn so i should have plenty of chick starter left

Loggerhead Mike said:
do you leave the fridge on?

Leave it on but around 55-60* Fridges can work to keep thing at a stable temp, not just cold.

If you want them to grow and reprouduce, you want a warmer, dark and damp place - the old flower pot, large bucket (like 1/2 a 55 gallon plastic drum) or such in a corner of the basement is the best. If you make use or a used drum be certain to carefully wash it or you might have lots of stinky dead worms.

I have a nice compost pile going at all times and there are always lots of worms there - and plenty of coffee grinds!

no... this freezer doesn't work at all which is why the worms are in it. It's an upright small freezer - kind of like the one's people have in their basement to keep all their frozen food in.

I bought it from an appliance junk yard for $15 about 20 years ago.

You can dig a spot in the ground and then put black trash bags down the bottom and sides for a liner, but build it up about 6-8" higher than the ground and use 4x6 pieces of wood to encase it - fill it with peat moss and put your worms in it - if you keep it wet and the chicken starter on it - they won't leave. And I mean put the chicken starter directly on top about 1/2" thick, don't work it into the soil. Keep it wet with the water hose... you don't work it in because the worms will come up to the top to eat and when you're ready to go fishing all you have to do is rake through the top and they'll be there

I bought a book many moons ago by George Sroda ("The Worm Czar") titled Facts About Nightcrawlers. He describes the box buried in the ground, as well. That's what I did under a big old oak in the yard. I fed them coffee grounds, crushed up cheap dog food, brown sugar, dried powdered milk, etc. Kept it covered with newspapers. I never wet it with house water because of the chlorine. Rainwater, lake water or I mostly used water from the wildlife preserve that we backed up to. For months I tried to figure out why I wasn't getting many worms. :( I was home from work one day early when my son's buddies came by to get him to go fishing. That's when I realized where my worms were going! :eek: I didn't really care because they helped me build another bed. We kept those beds going for about eight years.

Latest posts