17 years already?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
Jay Leno left the Tonight show last friday, It didn't feel that long ago he took over. Looks like Conan O'Brian is taken it over?

No one can replace Johnny 8)

Doesn't that make you feel old? You are so right about Carson. To me he will always be the Tonight Show. Not sure what the average age of people on this board are but I'm sure there are people reading this wondering, 'Who's Johnny Carson?'

Johnny was the man! I remember staying up late with dad and watching him on on the 21" RCA Tube TV. Good times!

poolie said:
To me he will always be the Tonight Show. Not sure what the average age of people on this board are but I'm sure there are people reading this wondering, 'Who's Johnny Carson?'

I am too young to remember Carson, so for me, Leno will always be the tonight show. How many watched the first night of Conan last night? I seriously hope it gets a little better. He did seem quite nervous, rightly so, as he has big shoes to fill, but when he is more acclimated, I really hope to see a significant amount of improvement over last night.

I'm not sure what it is, but I can't hardly watch any of them. At 36, I caught the tail end of Carson, and I thought it was very good, even at a young age. I used to like Letterman, but he doesn't seem to be the same person today.

What I have noticed with most of them (Leno and Conan included) is that if you just turn them loose, they seem to be funny, but when the writers get involved, they seem to be trying to make someone alot different than me laugh. Most of the "skits" or "routines" just seem plain stupid to me. I'm interested to see who the audience is these days?

It also seems that the "guests" these days are alot more diluted than years ago. Now, it always seems that the guests these days (who I probably have never even heard of) are only there to promote something, not to be a "guest".

Am I a lone wolf here?

IMHO, Late Nite TV isn't anything other than "ordinary" these days.

hardwatergrampa said:
johny was the man of the hr i vagly remember jack

I have to admit, I don't have a great deal of personal viewing experience with Jack Parr (my bedtime was around 8 PM those days :wink: ) but I did see some of his stuff.

Personally, I never liked or watched any of them. Don't like the program format. Late night TV and talk shows fall right in with soap operas in my world. We'd be better off without any of them. IMHO, of course. :wink:

Always like Leno, but have never cared for Conan. Definitely remember Carson!

As a side note, as I recall hearing, the Tonight show is filmed on the same stage that the Ed Sullivan show was. Anyone remember the night the Beatles first performed live on that stage? I was kid, but remember it.

Brine said:
I'm not sure what it is, but I can't hardly watch any of them. At 36, I caught the tail end of Carson, and I thought it was very good, even at a young age. I used to like Letterman, but he doesn't seem to be the same person today.

What I have noticed with most of them (Leno and Conan included) is that if you just turn them loose, they seem to be funny, but when the writers get involved, they seem to be trying to make someone alot different than me laugh. Most of the "skits" or "routines" just seem plain stupid to me. I'm interested to see who the audience is these days?

It also seems that the "guests" these days are alot more diluted than years ago. Now, it always seems that the guests these days (who I probably have never even heard of) are only there to promote something, not to be a "guest".

Am I a lone wolf here?

IMHO, Late Nite TV isn't anything other than "ordinary" these days.

agree, letterman isn't the same and SNL went out the window, and its all about promoting to me.

My routine was, the news, then Rockford files and Tonight show or Barney Miller 8)

WW you really are showing your age there on the Beatles :lol:

Waterwings said:
Anyone remember the night the Beatles first performed live on that stage? I was kid, but remember it.

Sure do. February 1964... I was 15.

Now that's dating oneself. :wink:

Really like Conan, his humor is usually on a high level, despite it often being a bit rudimentary. He was a good writer for the Simpsons and SNL, not to mention a Harvard grad. Letterman is probably the funniest with the off the cuff humor, as his quick wit is really a notch above (see the Joaquin Phoenix skit). Leno had great writers, as Jay Walking is an all-time skit, but he still reads the prompter way too much. I like Craig Ferguson, but I am generally alone, since I sometimes appreciate how he rarely tears into someone, and rather uses self-deprecating humor better than any of the others. Lastly, the writers need more credit, because as we saw when they went on strike, Late night tv was awful and just all around unbearable.

Latest posts