Wax for Tin Boats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan Wright

Reaction score
Every time it rains, the oil and gunk on the streets washes right into our little lake. The brown skum floating on the water turns fly lines brown, and leaves a "ring around the bath tub" on our boats.

A little scrubbing with Simple Green gets the stuff off...
Someone suggested I might wax the boat to make it look better and make cleaning easier..... Can anyone suggest a brand of wax that works well on a tin boat?
Is it really worth waxing?
Ideas and suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Aloha,
Stan

Attachments

• DSCF0005a (Small).jpg
    DSCF0005a (Small).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 392
I've tried automotive wax and it is a real bear to buff out on unpainted aluminum hulls. I used Toon-brite (acid based metal cleaner) and it worked great for cleaning. Next step I'm gonna undertake is using a metal polish. Heard good things about a product called shark hide from several sources. https://www.sharkhide.com/apinfo.html

Popeye said:
I've tried automotive wax and it is a real bear to buff out on unpainted aluminum hulls.

Oh, I thought your hull (from the photo anyway) was painted. If it is unpainted - who cares, just go fishing

I've heard nothing but good things about Sharkhide when applied according to directions. They say to have plenty of cleans rags on-hand, but the end result lasts for a very long time.

As far as waxing, I used to use Meguiar's automotive wax on the painted gunwales, the painted upper-half of the transom, and the hull decals on the Tracker I had.
Stbd_view.JPG

Also waxed the painted trailer. :wink:

Tracker hulls are unpainted aluminum and have a large sticker across the top half. The toon brite I used doesn't hurt the vinyl sticker. While the boat may look crappy sitting on the trailer... to the fish it looks more natural. :lol:

I waxed mine with Turtle Wax. It was a pain and left chalky places. My boat is drab green. I didnt wax it for looks or ease of cleaning but in hopes of lessoning friction on the water.

Latest posts