Fishing on the beach.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evattman

Reaction score
So, Im going down to the South Carolina Coast in a couple of weeks and it's been a LONG time since I fished down there. Even when I was growing up, my summer visit mainly consisted of fishing off of the pier. (briefly)
Anyway, I need some advice. I just bought a pretty big rod/reel combo....so I have that. I want to fish from the shore, early in the mornings and occasionally from the pier. My brother-in-law is taking his boat, so I'll also be able to fish out of that in the inlets.

My questions are......... what kind of rigging and bait. I'm guessing a big triangle weight with leaders and using shrimp. Any input would be appreciated!! :mrgreen:

Shrimp and cut squid should catch a variety of fish, with the possibility of hooking a decent shark or something else that'll pull well. Live bait (shrimp or mudminnows) is more likely to get you a hookup with something different like a Redfish or Pompano (on shrimp). Bluefish are always around and sometimes school close to the beach, which is always fun. Live or cut fresh mullet are another good bait.

I would get some double hook rigs with a 2 ounce pyramid sinker and you should be covered. Go to a baitshop and figure out what's biting, and try a variety of baits. You can always catch something.

Make sure you have a license even for surf fishing. New rules...

FishinsMyLife said:
Shrimp and cut squid should catch a variety of fish, with the possibility of hooking a decent shark or something else that'll pull well. Live bait (shrimp or mudminnows) is more likely to get you a hookup with something different like a Redfish or Pompano (on shrimp). Bluefish are always around and sometimes school close to the beach, which is always fun. Live or cut fresh mullet are another good bait.

I would get some double hook rigs with a 2 ounce pyramid sinker and you should be covered. Go to a baitshop and figure out what's biting, and try a variety of baits. You can always catch something.

Bingo. Any Walmart near the coast will have the stainless double hook rigs, and 2 ounce pyramid sinkers. Just work down the beach. Amazing what you can get, and how they don't relate to cover, like freshwater fish do. Get a piece of PVC that your rod will fit into, cut it about 4 feet long, and cut a 45 on one end. Drive that into the sand, and walla, rod holder.

FishinsMyLife said:

Really?? I went to the website earlier and could not find any info about it. Every search I did turned up info that said you did not need them to surf fish. I'll take your word though, and make sure. I would hate to get fined! [-X

And thanks for all of the info! REALLY helpful! You to Bassboy!! :D

Yeah I'm pretty sure you need one. It's a new regulation. I'll look it up to make sure.

Edit:
Yep. Effective June 1st.
https://dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2009/may25/may25_license.html

evattman said:
FishinsMyLife said:

Really?? I went to the website earlier and could not find any info about it. Every search I did turned up info that said you did not need them to surf fish. I'll take your word though, and make sure. I would hate to get fined! [-X

And thanks for all of the info! REALLY helpful! You to Bassboy!! :D
Try looking up a tackle shop where your headed and give them a call im sure they'll be able to tell you what the deal is. My only advise for surf fishing is to have a few different bait options on hand.

I second (or third) teh tackle shop idea - DO NOT just go to a Wally world - a local tackle shop with have the right tackle and bait that catch fish in that area at that time.

be friendly to the locals you find as well - often they are you best source of info.

Interesting info concerning a license to surf fish. Years ago we fished the beaches in Florida (St. Augustine, Mayport) and no license was needed. Kinda strange that you need a license to fish an area that is "stocked" ny nature. New rules must be a new way to pull-in revenue. We used to catch live finger mullet (using a cast net) and use them as bait and caught quite a few Blues. Dang things have teeth! :shock:

Waterwings said:
Interesting info concerning a license to surf fish. Years ago we fished the beaches in Florida (St. Augustine, Mayport) and no license was needed. Kinda strange that you need a license to fish an area that is "stocked" ny nature. New rules must be a new way to pull-in revenue. We used to catch live finger mullet (using a cast net) and use them as bait and caught quite a few Blues. Dang things have teeth! :shock:

Many states now require salt water licenses - DE and NY around my way. Although, DE license is good for fresh and salt =D>

I live in Charleston. I don't know if you are coming to Charleston or not, but I go to the pier on Folly Beach sometimes and it is a pretty good spot to fish from. There is an artificial reef set up next to it to draw in the fish there. You do not have to have a license to fish from that pier. The pier has the license. If you fish from a beach, you will need a license. The fee is $8.00 per day for a non-resident for the pier for regular fishing. If you are after king mackeral the fee is $10.00 per day. The very tip of the pier is reserved for king mackeral fishing. The best time to fish from the pier is during the week. It can get very crowded on the weekend. If you are going to park in the piers parking lot there is a $7.00 fee for that. You have to get there pretty early to get in the parking lot. It fills up pretty quick. There are other lots around to park also.

As for bait, the best is fresh shrimp. The pier sells bait but it is frozen and it falls apart way too easy. I like to buy fresh shrimp from a local seafood house before going out. Squid works ok but the shrimp work best. Sometimes you catch a lot of sharks. The pier will not let you keep them and they do not want people there who target the sharks. Also, do not leave your bait open and unattended or a sea gull or grackle will have a free meal at your expense. Have fun.

I have caught whitting while surf fishing with my bass rod and reel using circle hooks and dead shrimp. I would walk out waist deep, past the breakers, and cast out as far as possible. I tore up a variety of fish at Tybee Is. in Savannah near a rock pile. The tide was going out and it was causing the water to flow around the end of the rocks like a river perpindicular to the rock line. Every other cast I was getting a bite for about 15 minutes. That was fun. Nothing big but it was a blast.

I have not done a lot of surf fishing, but here's some advice that was given to me and worked well. On many beaches a bar will form about 10 - 30 yards out. If you watch the surf you may notice places where the waves don't crest as high and there is little foam. That is a break in the bar. Larger fish will typically hang out around these breaks in order to come in and feed on the smaller fish. Throw your bait into these areas.

And just a note to be careful while wading. These are the same places rip tides form.

Latest posts