Pulling a tube ????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evattman

Reaction score
Is it possible to pull a tube with my Jon? One of my friends daughter wants to go tubing and my friend asked if the boat would do it. I have never even considered it. Does anyone have any tube pulling experience with a jon? I certainly dont want to do it if its overly dangerous. My boat will run about 30mph with just me......and the girl that I would pull weighs about 60lbs. I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys before I even consider attempting it.

I've never done it with a jon, but I have pulled tubes with my Jet Ski. It is probably a little more powerful, but much lighter. The only thing I experienced with it that was dangerous was when the tube would come outside the wake on a corner and pull the back end of the jet ski sideways. This probably wouldn't happen with an outboard instead of a jet drive. As long as you have a safe anchor point on the boat so that it doesn't break off, I would think this would be fine. Lifejackets for everybody. :)

bassboy 1 pulls people on tubes with his I'm pretty sure... He's got a 1542 with either a 30 or 40hp on the back... he says it does very well

You should be fine,just be careful & make sure your towing rope doesn't get in the prop.Make a Y & attach each end to your handles in the back of your boat,than in the middle of that attach your towing rope.This way it will pull evenly.If you put a little floaty thing where your tow rope hooks to the Y it will stay out of the prop better.
Some states require a second person in the boat to watch while your towing.

I pull my kids w/ a 50 horse but it's a fg boat and it does just fine. The "Y" thing is good idea but if you don't want to do that just get a floatin rope. That's what we use and it's awesome!!
Whatever you do good luck and be safe :)

It's a harness that attaches to the tie down loops on the back of your boat. it comes to a point behind the boat where you attach a tow rope thus forming a big Y. Picture your boat at the top of the Y, your prop in the middle and a tuber at the bottom.

You can't go real fast anyway. If you go much over 15-16 mph you'll scare the beejeezus out of your tuber. We used to pull/get pulled by my BIL's 26' tri-toon with a 225 Honda, that was a sweet ride but if you got up 18, 20 mph it was too fast, you got beat to death...

Mike

crazymanme2 said:
You should be fine,just be careful & make sure your towing rope doesn't get in the prop.Make a Y & attach each end to your handles in the back of your boat,than in the middle of that attach your towing rope.This way it will pull evenly.If you put a little floaty thing where your tow rope hooks to the Y it will stay out of the prop better.
Some states require a second person in the boat to watch while your towing.
Will the handles hold?

The most I've pulled with mine was about 200# & mine held.Just keep an eye on them.
The rope should slide to the inside of the handles & pull off the corner of the handle.My handles are bolted on with two 5/16" bolts to a plate of 1/8" stainless on the inside.

Hope that helps

crazymanme2 said:
The most I've pulled with mine was about 200# & mine held.Just keep an eye on them.
The rope should slide to the inside of the handles & pull off the corner of the handle.My handles are bolted on with two 5/16" bolts to a plate of 1/8" stainless on the inside.

Hope that helps
My handles are held by 1/4 bolts so I'm not sure.

I'll see if I can find the tensil strength of 1/4" bolts.Mine is probably over kill.Just as long as your bolts are backed up with some sort of metal plate on the inside.Large fender washers would probably work.

Latest posts